GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE

Go down 
+2
ratso88
leafman60
6 posters
AuthorMessage
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 08:04

What type of fuel consumption are you guys experiencing with your 8-valve GRiSO's?

It's not a big deal for me but my Red '16 model with barely 3000 miles is typically yielding 35-36 miles per US gallon. This is with mixed riding (mostly spirited).

I'm running my stock map and a Mistral muffler with very good results.  My Stelvio a few years back with an modified Guzzi Diag map and MIVV muffler yielded similar results even on the highway when touring.

Just curious.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 10:20

Well, it varies.

I usually get upper 30's mpg, in the range of 36-39 mpg. Mixed highway and fast county and state roads.
Depending on use of the right hand.

I have seen as high as 42 when cruising at lower speeds, say 60-70 mph for extended periods.
In cooler weather my mpg drop slightly.

Carrying a long weekends worth of gear and running in the 80-85 mph range, normal here if you don't want to get run over, I still see upper 30's.
Calculation by keying in info confirms the onboard mpg tracking is pretty close, except in cold weather where onboard shows less mph than actual calculated figures.

I'm running a Beetle map and Arrow can with stock head pipes and pretzel.
Otherwise stock(ish)

I never expected my GRiSO to be a fuel sipping mode of transport.
For that I'd have to get a small cc utility ride.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As a counter point of reference: The Mighty Scura gets similar mpg with a much different package under the same conditions.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 12:53

My experience is about the same as ratso88, but I'll add that at higher altitudes, it goes up considerably. Spirited riding above 7,000' elevation often yields mid to upper 50's.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 13:32

Don't forget, Guzzi decided not to put an oil thermostat in these bikes to save costs, despite there being ample room to do so.

The upshot of this is that if you ride in temps lower than 15°C/60°F your fuel consumption will increase a great deal.

Not sure if that applies in your case or not?
Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 20:09

The temps where I've been riding lately are close to or over 100F !

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Tue 29 Aug 2023, 21:16

The engine temperature sender is in a much better spot on the 8V motors than the earlier pushrod engines so they get a more accurate signal sooner and adjust the mixture to suit. I still find that the difference in economy between summer and winter is quite pronounced though. Just going from 'Dashboard figures' on very similar trips in summer, when ambient temperatures are in the high thirties I can get upwards of 220km from 'Full' to where the light comes on as long as I'm not wringing its neck. In winter, with ambient sitting at 8-10*C that can drop to 190km or even a bit less. Refueling when the light comes on it usually takes 11-12 litres, (Depending on how much I'm willing to fart about with the gun on the bowser.).

I generally think that if I nurse it in warmer weather I'll get 300km out of a tank but by then it would be very sketchy! I think the tank takes a bit over 16 litres?

If you want to convert that to your weird medieval numbers be my guest! Laughing
Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Thu 31 Aug 2023, 07:56

Not that this adds much to the discussion but I also have a new Triumph Scrambler 1200, fantastic machine too, and riding it in a spirited fashion I am getting 50-53 miles per gallon. My very late model BMW 1250GS, another fine machine, reliably gives me over 40 miles per gallon, high 40's if I'm behaving myself.

I guess its about more modern design, water cooling etc.

The added cost of running the Guzzi doesn't bother me so much but the added range of a more fuel efficient machine can be very convenient.

The big tank of the Stelvio helped a lot for that thirsty boy but I don't use the GRiSO for similarly long rides.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Thu 31 Aug 2023, 08:25

It's down to the cylinder head design and camming David. The reason why the Hi-Cam was canned was because to get it to make the performance it does it has to be inefficient. If they modified it so it was clean and economical it would not produce anywhere near the figures it does/did.

Enter V100 stage right.........

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Thu 31 Aug 2023, 11:01

For the residents of those truly obstinate nations of the world....

Pete Roper wrote:
The engine temperature sender is in a much better spot on the 8V motors than the earlier pushrod engines so they get a more accurate signal sooner and adjust the mixture to suit. I still find that the difference in economy between summer and winter is quite pronounced though. Just going from 'Dashboard figures' on very similar trips in summer, when ambient temperatures are in the high thirties I can get upwards of 220km (136 miles)from 'Full' to where the light comes on as long as I'm not wringing its neck. In winter, with ambient sitting at 8-10*C (+/- 48 F ) that can drop to 190km (118 miles) or even a bit less. Refueling when the light comes on it usually takes 11-12 litres (3 ga, give or take) (Depending on how much I'm willing to fart about with the gun on the bowser.).

I generally think that if I nurse it in warmer weather I'll get 300km (186 miles)out of a tank but by then it would be very sketchy! I think the tank takes a bit over 16 litres (4.23 ga = 44 MPG)?

If you want to convert that to your weird medieval numbers be my guest! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1Thu 31 Aug 2023, 12:26

don't forget mpg isn't the same in US as in the UK

!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE   Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel Economy for GRiSO SE
Page 1 of 1