GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Header studs and other stuff

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Header studs and other stuff Empty
PostSubject: Header studs and other stuff   Header studs and other stuff Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:23 pm

I had to drop the exhaust off. Its not been off for a while. Termignoni didn't want to let go of the link pipe, but I didn't try that hard. The left hand header dome nuts came off just fine. But on the right they were corroded onto the studs, and the studs came out. On reassembly everything seemed pretty goof except the inside stud on the right pot. It tightened very quickly. I blew it out, and copperslipped it, and ran it repeatedly in and out. It improved, but it still didn't feel good. I was reluctant to put insane torque on it, and I'm not sure it's that tight on its spring washer, and I've got a slight blow at the joint.

What's next?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Header studs and other stuff   Header studs and other stuff Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:32 am

Sorry, missed this. So are the threads in the head OK or have they stripped? If stripped? Helicoil or timesert. Be careful not to drill in too far or you may hit an oil gallery.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Header studs and other stuff   Header studs and other stuff Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:46 am

Thanks Pete. Its definitely not completely stripped. But may be damaged. The stud is worryingly tight going in. I had to repeatedly wind it in and out to get it in. And it's is not fully tightening against the collar - it might, but I'm having to apply a lot of torque to move it.

Might it be worth running a tap in and out?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Header studs and other stuff   Header studs and other stuff Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:33 pm

Definitely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Header studs and other stuff   Header studs and other stuff Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Header studs and other stuff
Page 1 of 1