GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC Oil Weep

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

CARC Oil Weep Empty
PostSubject: CARC Oil Weep   CARC Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Noticed a slight weep from the base of the rubber bellows/boot atop the CARC. Mark at MG Classics told me don't sweat it unless you see oil on the garage floor. But it's close enough to the brake caliper to make me think twice. I guess this is common? Live with it or attempt a fix? Maybe it was just over-filled with oil?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC Oil Weep Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Weep   CARC Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:42 am

Not common but like any other rubber thing secured by a clamp a leak can occur.

Needless to say the clamps are not sold separately, you are expected to put your hand in your pocket and cough some huge, usurious amount, (Really, a large lump of change!) for a new boot and clamps and probably *Special* pliers to install same.

Thing is as long as the boot itself is uncompromised you can go to 'Wottalottacrap Auto' and buy yourself a CV boot clamp, (Buy several, you'll probably fuck the first one getting the hang of it.) and the tool to install them properly. That will probably cost you about $30.

Pry off and discard the original clamp, (The one at the bottom of the boot where I assume the leak is occurring?) and pull the boot up to examine it and the surface it clamps on. Give it a clean and smear a bit of Threebond 1211 or some other gasket snot around the clamping surface of the casting. Pop the boot back down over the casting and use your newly acquired boot clamp tool and clamp to tighten the clamp down 'Till you fart' tight. I usually use long clamps and go around twice, this effectively doubles the clamping force. The tool has a cut-off feature you use after you've doubled the clamp back on itself. Peen the end of the clamp down and lock it with the tangs. Roll the outer lip of the boot down over the clamp. Job done.

Before you do that though remove the shitty breather tower and make sure its clear otherwise the box will tend to pressurise. That may be causing the leak.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

CARC Oil Weep Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Weep   CARC Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 am

It's an Oetiker clamp, kits can be had rather inexpensively on Amazon. Not sure about the size used on the CARC, it's a rather big MF.

In your case it may be just a case where the pliers need to pinch a bit more to sinch the clamp up a wee bit more. Could be a tear in the boot too. My money is on a loose clamp.

I ended buying the kit plus an extra clamp kit with the smaller sizes to have on hand for things like fuel hoses and such on the other bikes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CARC Oil Weep Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Weep   CARC Oil Weep Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC Oil Weep
Page 1 of 1