GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations

Go down 
+6
John Lyon
tocino
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
Ahdammit
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:08 am

Mark asked this too, both are ZGU 1004 e11e3. I didn't know what could be wrong, then I found the thread about 1 odd header pipe.
Should I pull them off and have a look?
Just reading about cam timing, I can see how the sprockets are aligned with the little pins but I can't see how it could be changed, there seems to be no adjustment mechanism.
Wondering too about the ignition pick up sensor but I have no idea how I could check it.
I have a small multimeter and can check for current feed to it but how to check the output?
Trouble is I suppose, I don't know whether my problem is mechanical, electrical or electronic. scratch
Or even a combination
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 am

Jeez, it's been a while, work has been crazy busy recently.
My poor bike has been sitting forlornly outside, untouched til this week.
I charged the battery and took it for a wee spin, it felt really weird, like I was riding on ice. Thought I'd check the tyre pressures, on examination, the tyres are all cracked and falling apart. 9 months, 3000 odd km's and they're toast. Shocked
After a lot of wasted time, I managed to find a place with some replacements, Pirellis this time. Made in China!! I double checked, but they definitely say Pirelli, not Pilerri. They'll have to do.
Vibrations unchanged.
I thought I'd check the coil resistance.
Measuring across the little pins I get zero. From the little pins to the big coil lead I get 3.3 on both. I have no idea what this means.
Then I thought I'd fit some new plug leads, easy enough.
Spent several hours trawling the rubbish car spares shops here. It goes like this-
Hi, I'd like 2 coil leads please
Yes sir which car?
Its for a motorbike
We dont sell motorbike parts
I know, it's just a cable
Yes sir, I have to know which car
Do you have coil leads? Spark plug leads?
Yes but not for a motorbike
It doesn't matter what it's going onto, it's just a cable. Do you have any?
Not for motorbikes. Only for cars
Ok, give me 2 for a car
Yes sir, which car?
It doesn't matter, any car. As long as it's about 300mm long
I have to know which car
Ok a Caprice Classic
No we dont have them
What do you have?
You'll have to tell me your car model sir..........................

Ad infinitum

I'm sure the jinglies behind the counters thought I was a nutter by their expressions. Laughing

Never mind, I've ordered some from Americky.
I'll have to order fuses too, but I forgot. They are not available here either.
Still, the weather's nice this time of year, be good to be back in the saddle
John
Back to top Go down
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 am

Hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Pictures
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Boahh ...

How old are these tyres? What is the DOT? I´ve seen such damage only on very old tyres in the past.

Sven
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm

They've been on the bike about 9 or 10 months.
Other than one of these . I don't know what a DOT is, sorry.
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 pm

No problem. On the sidewall of the tyre there is a DOT mark.

It is a 3 or 4 Number long stamp and shows the productiondate of the tyre. For example: 0715 mean that this tyre was produced in the seventh week of 2015. Are the only 3 numbers, like 487, is the tyre produced before 2000 an it means fourtyeight week 1997.

So you can easyly check if the dealer gave you a fresh or an old tyre. Up to two years is no problem, when the tyre was stored in a dark and cold room. You can find more information at wikipedia.

Greetings from Germany

Sven
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm

I use to buy tyres to last at least 6,000k of corner flogging or 10,000k touring. But decided my current annual riding won't wear out a set of sport touring tyres within 12 months, so might as well buy sticky tyres so I stay on fresh rubber.

Dammit, those tyres look like Moses used them on the Ark in dry dock, could well be the source of your pesky vibes.
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Cool, thanks Sven. I never knew that.

Greetings from Bahrain Smile

Yeah Ghezzi, I got a surprise all right when I looked at them. I suppose high ambient temperatures, horrible summertime humidity and lots of salt in the air from seawater evaporation all contributed.
It's odd, you wouldn't think corrosion would be a problem out here but there's rust on many bits of the bike. Can't seem to stop it unfortunately.

Last edited by Ahdammit on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Just a thought, if you can't get decent tyres locally in the desert, try googling "Jake Wilson" for tyres in the USA. They ship via DHL and only takes 4 days to Australia, and about half price of local tyre shops.
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Thumbs Up I'll try that next time, thanks man.
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:00 am

Ok, got a little time today to recheck the coils, used a different meter as it seems mine is playing up.
Across the 2 little pins, I'm getting 1.3 ohms. According to the manual it should be 550 milli ohms?
From the little pins to the plug wire connection I have 3,3 ohms.
I know nothing of electronics, does anyone know if this is ok or not?

Last edited by Ahdammit on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:48 am

Short the meter leads to check their impedance. Deduct that value form the total measured. For very small impedance, the meter leads can add quite a bit.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Good call! Thumbs Up
Still a bit high it seems, although I have no idea if it's significant or not scratch
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:33 pm

0.4 ohms? Looks OK to me.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

I really doubt it's a coil.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 pm

I wonder if someone has messed with the 'other' sacred screw?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Sorry, should have said, that's the impedance through the meter wires only.

Other sacred screw? Shocked
I'll chant a mantra maybe, how much of this thing is sacred?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:58 pm

Gotcha. If both coils measure the same, I'd look elswhere.

Ah, hmm, yes, there is another secret squirrel sacred screw. On the right throttle.

Pete should chime in now...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 am

Where's the puke emoticon?

Sorry, busy now, I'll try and make sense of that statement a bit later.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2015 10:39 am

well it's been a while. I've been so busy at work that I haven't even ridden the bike.
Last weekend I thought I'd spruce the old girl up a bit and the plug wires finally arrived.
Unfortunately the dust has been pretty bad recently, I lasted about half an hour but my throat started burning. Fitted some mirrors too, they're from the Enfield cafe racer. They didn't fit so I reamed out the ends to 32mm.
I decided to study the wiring diagram to see if I could locate a possible area requiring attention but it was no use, I can't follow this stuff at all
Anyway, this weekend I managed to find some time to fit the indicators and plate mount.
Looking good to me
Put the new plug leads on but it's still misfiring a bit. So I thought I'd check the little switch thing that measures rpm with my borrowed ver' near caliper.
It's 28.6mm from the little spacer plate to the end of the sensor and 29.7 from the mounting flange to the rotor teeth, 1.1mm gap. The manual says 0.5 to 0.7mm. Does anyone know if this would matter?
John
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Yes it would matter.
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 12:41 am

Aaahaaa!! Smile
So, there's a little plate beneath the switch which is the same shape as the mounting flange.
If I substitute the plate for some washers I could lower the switch, relatively speaking.
Then seal it with some amount of silicon or something.
What's the technical term for an amount of sealant? A glunge? Glob?
Maybe this could be the answer to the flat feeling of the motor? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 1:07 am

No. There are shims. Remove the requisite number of shims. I would strongly suggest though tht rather than relying on a borrowed caliper used in a difficult location you bite the bullet and pull the timing chest cover. I've very rarely found critical clearance irregularities with CPS.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Ahdammit wrote:
Aaahaaa!! Smile What's the technical term for an amount of sealant? A glunge? Glob?

Splooge!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next