GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations

Go down 
+6
John Lyon
tocino
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
Ahdammit
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
No. There are shims. Remove the requisite number of shims. I would strongly suggest though tht rather than relying on a borrowed caliper used in a difficult location you bite the bullet and pull the timing chest cover. I've very rarely found critical clearance irregularities with CPS.

Pete

+1 for Pete.
Do not use the caliper for measuring the gap. I destroyed a sensor...
If yo don't feel comfortable removing the chest you can do like this:
Remove the sensor and the shims. Take e small piece of 0.5 mm feeler gauge and put it on the tip of the sensor. This is the wanted air gap. Insert the sensor back in place (straight, without shims). With a feeler gauge measure how much shims you need.

Remember to change the o-ring and use a very small amount of grey or black gasket maker.

Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks fellas
The pics were taken where I work on the bike, to be honest I would be very reluctant to open the motor given the amount of dust constantly swirling about.. Thanks for the advice though Pete, you're right about it being a bit awkward to get the caliper in.
Voulga, excellent idea man, I'll do just that when I get the chance, though it'll probably be a while given how busy work is.
My concern is though, suppose that the sensor is ok? New plugs, new leads, coils seem ok, sensor maybe ok, what next? Why doesn't the bike want to run properly? I agree with Beetles assessment that it's ignition related as new plugs made a noticeable difference ( worse) but where else can I check?
I suppose I'm just getting frustrated too with living here, plug leads took a month to arrive, still haven't found a source of fuses, agency dont want to know and bloody work takes up all of my time, haven't had a day off since February.
Whinge, bitch, moan Laughing
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2015 3:45 am

Ahdammit wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

Hi Ahdammit, that's a brilliant idea!  Idea

Can you advise on the size/material of the rod?

Phang
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2015 4:03 am

Hi Phang, it wasn't my idea, the guys on here thought of it.
The bar is 19mm dia, about a metre long. It's probably AISI 1018 or 1020, just normal old mild steel, impossible to get a MSDS sheet here.
Just don't use a floppy book like I did, it's a bit wobbly under the jack.
Check the hole diameter in the frame first though, apparently it changed sometime in 2012(?)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 am

Thanks for the reply. That gave me some idea what to look for.

I peeped through the frame hole yesterday, mine has a washer like plate welded to both end of the tube, I don't think the rod will touch the chromed plastic ornamental rings and crack them.

Also, I measured the top of the hole from ground while the GRiSO is on Becker stand, it was 58~59cm from ground. I think a pair of two feet jack stand should be tall enough to support the bar.

I have this at home, together with the bar through the frame hole, I think it will be very stable to remove both wheels for tire change.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ahdammit
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ahdammit

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2015 5:45 am

Thumbs Up That'll do
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations   Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ahdammit's search to eliminate pesky vibrations
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3