GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank

Go down 
+24
Kiwi_Roy
charliebigonions
Steveo
davem
ratso88
Bulldog9
Scot p
bahamazoo
MrGPz
rboe
Fissionmaker
grisoinginlisbon
Tolle09
Oz1200Guzzi
tocino
TalkingGriso
Grisonut
keenerkeen07
mark111
Bill Hagan
jeremyb
Pete Roper
beetle
yrunvs
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 am

grisoinginlisbon wrote:
Hello all,

1st post here on the forum. After months tinkering with the idea to do a complete aesthetic overhaul of my GRiSO 1100, and having decided on DIY, doubts start to acumulate.

I would very much like to build a classically styled metal tank with improved capacity, but as I see from the photos (thanks man!) I understand that replicating the 3D shape of the underside would be a nightmare, and without the wings capacity can only grow up...like blocking-the-view-from-the-road up. So for now I'm going with painting...

Does anyone know what is the tank made of? I'd hate to paint/lacquer it with the wrong materials and discover a few weeks later by having bubbles creeping in or paint flaking off.

Thanks for thy wisdom!

It's certainly made of plastic, of what type would be difficult to determine, but I can't see a problem with paints used on any other plastic body parts.
Problems with plastic tanks are usually caused by what's inside them not external issues.

The GRiSO 1100 ahs a range of around 160/170 miles which ain't bad. I have ridden all over Europe on bikes with a similar range with no problems. I would have thought anyone travelling off the beaten track the answer is to carry extra fuel on a rack or panniers.
Back to top Go down
Steveo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Steveo

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 pm

MrGPz wrote:
Right, found a tank on Ebay, it's on its way, by the time it gets here it'll be late Jan i expect.
Still have to see if the plastic is able to be welded? anyone have first hand knowledge?

The tank is made from Nylon 6 - there will be a mark PA 6 somewhere on the underside, which is definitely weldable
Steve
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 am

We have 3D printers these days. Someone could print a fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:10 am

I've explored that. It's not that simple.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am

For my trip to the Arctic Circle it was over 400 km between gas stops. I extended the range by strapping a 1 gallon plastic tank on each side.
The weight was taken by a simple sheet metal plate held with worm drive clips to the foot-peg but they were strapped to the saddle-bags with a Rok strap
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am

Any pictures to illustrate ?
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Would this sort of tank fit in the wings. About 1.7 liters I think.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 11:53 pm

If only for one off trips, use a fuel bladder.  A couple of these 6L ones tied to the outside of your gear would probably be as safe as a rigid plastic one.  Unless you backpack them...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:57 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The biggest issue as I see it is the frame itself. It would be very hard to build at a k that would *straddle* the frame rails and still be able to use the extra capacity where the wings currently sit.

Range is about 300 Km to empty with a decent map as long as you're not being stupid. If you are being stupid range is considerably less!

Pete
So it looks like I've become a fool Wink. When I bought a motorcycle from Canada from Mr. Luka on the pseudo "Omnis" forum, the computer showed me consumption of 6.5 liters per 100 km, at speeds up to 110-130 km/h and I was very satisfied, I would like to point out that the motorcycle was already on Marek's map, but in the next season the consumption increased dramatically to almost 8 liters and after starting there was an unpleasant smell of unburned fuel.My question is that the oil level was a bit too high for some time, but I have already cleaned the filter container, washed the throttles and reset the TPS.I haven't balanced the throttle body yet. Could it be the key one? The parameters are set on the Diag button to 4.8. I know that there can be many reasons, such as the probe, damaged injectors or plugs, or high voltage cables. Thank you for any advice from experts.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:03 am

Which would suggest as a first indicator an air supply problem. Look on the intake side. Air filter, airbox etc.

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:47 am

The air filter and the entire airbox seem perfect?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3