GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear wheel seal.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Moto Guzzi virgin
Carlotto
Carlotto
Moto Guzzi virgin

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 am

I had a small leak on the rim at the back and it looked like gear oil, I took off the wheel and found the seal was wet, I called the GRiSO whisper in Sydney, Pete, I took Petes advice and removed the rear drive and checked it out on the bench, I had been told about the grief you can get separating the drive from the swing arm but as soon as I had loosened the bolts it came away by itself, the input seal had no signs of leaks, no oil was present in the swing arm and the rubber boot was dry, so I cleaned the area and applied Loctite wick in as suggested by Pete to the bearing lock nut which still had the factory witness mark and had not moved, I got a Viton seal from CBC bearings at a cost of 66 dollars but was 2mm wider than the one fitted at the factory, 85mm x 110mm x 10 against the factory seal of 85mm x 110mm x 8mm, Pete said this is the same seal as BMW use and would fit, I measured the depth before I fitted it and there was room.

I have fitted hundreds of seals during my working life and never use force to fit them as the spring can come off inside and you run the chance of distorting the seal, I lubricated between the two lips with synthetic grease and lightly coated the OD as well and pushed the seal in by hand until it was flush with the housing and cleared the slinger. I used Loctite 518 on the mounting face as this is the best sealer I have ever used, it never goes hard, absorbs vibration and is easy to disassemble. torqued the bolts to 50NM and put everything back together and is ready for a ride tomorrow with a good day predicted. Fingers crossed.

JohnA and Grisoleta like this post

Back to top Go down
motografando
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
motografando

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 am

i found it on stein dinse for €31, absolutely identical to the original one.
Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am

The issue is the depth dimension. 10mm is relatively easy to find. 8mm less so. Oh, they're available but the get cheaper if you buy multiples rather than just one. It also has to be Viton, well, it doesn't but a normal nitrile seal won't last long.

The most important thing here though is the 10mm one will work fine if it's installed correctly and, at least in Oz, may be more readily available.

If you need one you could always buy one off me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Moto Guzzi virgin
Carlotto
Carlotto
Moto Guzzi virgin

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am

I tried to buy one from you, the 10mm one fits level with the front face without fowling anything, I measured it up before I bought it and the seal lip runs in the same place as the 8mm one if you install it level, I had a great ride today in the sunshine though the Mary valley, the guy I bought the bike from told me the rear brake is not very good and I took his word for it, but upon closer inspection the seal had been leaking for quite a while and it would not take very much to contaminate the brakes, Now they are excellent and where they should be.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

Laughing I know you did. Thing is it would have taken ages to get to you which would have been a pain in the arse and you'd found a 10mm one locally so it was much easier to go that way. I'm not going to starve for want of the few dollars profit I'd make on a seal and I'm not that venal. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Moto Guzzi virgin
Carlotto
Carlotto
Moto Guzzi virgin

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 pm

You will catch up eventually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear wheel seal. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel seal.   Rear wheel seal. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel seal.
Page 1 of 1