GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Got my GRiSO back!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:25 am

For all the bitching I have done regarding the amount of time that my GRiSO's flat tappet to roller tappet upgrade has taken, all I can say is that it was well worth it!

In a word, I am impressed! The acceleration and sound of the bike is more REFINED. It's as though the bike's engine has been freed to run a little smoother (freer??).....perhaps as it could have always done. I enjoyed the bike as it was but this is stupid enjoyable. It gives me the feeling of riding with an improved map, less choppy at low to mid rpm and even slightly more linear in delivery all up and down. I am not sure how this is possible as I did not think this upgrade would make such a noticeable improvement and was not expecting it. It was apparent within seconds and continued as I climbed gears and hit the hwy..I was under the impression that the engine would be quieter, and it is a little (not as many marbles rolling around inside it seems). It's the delivery of power and the sound of the bike that seem to synch better if that makes any sense. A number of times today I tried to separate the engine noise from the experience of the accel. and riding in general in an attempt get a more objective idea of how the bike was actually performing. Also tried to rule out my good feelings over just being back on the bike after 2 months. At the end of the day, and after quite a bit of thought, I really don't think I am imagining this!! It is even more fun to ride now!  Very Happy  

Also slapped on one of Todd's new black anodized oil coolers and it looks very niiiice! Will post a shot shortly.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 am

Does this change work on 1100's?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 am

The 1100 motor is completely different to the 1200. It's only the Hi-Cam motors that can use the roller conversion.

If the bike in question had failed/failing tappets and cams it would of been running like a three legged donkey with a broom handle up its chuff previously! It's bound to feel a thousand times better now it has a top end that actually works! The problem is that the ECU doesn't know the cams and tappets are fucked so it will keep delivering fuel as though the engine is healthy. With the valves opening later and closing early there is less time for the cylinder to fill and consequently it overfuels desperately. Typical signs are spitting back through the TB's at idle, lack of power, black smoke and a depressed rider!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 am

That makes good sense Pete and may very well be the case. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough experience to understand or detect a slow deterioration of the bikes performance due to the increasing cam failure. I'm sure I would have noticed it as the problem got worse or became obvious to a newer rider like me. I didn't think the bike was running too poorly at the time prior to the upgrade if at all but given your what you have said and is the case, that would seem like a good fit for the feedback I got from the bike today.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
it would of been running like a three legged donkey with a broom handle up its chuff

That doesn't sound good. Very Happy

(there should a compendium of the more, uh, "colorful" phrases from out friends mates Down Under!)

Glad the bike is running well again!
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:51 am

Dag nab it Pete. I thought you would say that but I had to ask anyway. Ya never know.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:38 am

Thank tocino - me too! I feel confident in the bike again and it really is a hoot to ride now!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:08 am

I do miss the kick in the pants that my 09 flat tappet delivered at around 5500rpm...
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 am

I have read about that loss in other posts. Is there any trade-off for losing the "kick in the pants"? That was one of the few "kick in the pants" I have received in life that I really liked!   Mad

On second thought, not too worried about it, I do like the way the bike runs at the moment w/ good grunt throughout and speed when I want it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Got my GRiSO back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my GRiSO back!   Got my GRiSO back! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Got my GRiSO back!
Page 1 of 1