GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi

Go down 
+13
Street
sidrat
guzziownr
paulbrice
Ad B
wardest
Bill Hagan
Omnis
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
waterbottle
Pete Roper
bobbyfromnc
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 am

Here in my neck of the woods the only dumb question is the one you don't ask so here it goes... Being a new Guzzi fan my question is... with no lower frame going below the engine what are the methods of working on the front end such as changing a tire etc. ? I have looked at youtube to try find the answer but I came up dry. Can one set a bike on its engine carefully using a jack lift of some sort like you would set a harley on its frame for instance? Just curious. Thanks BK Question
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:23 am

You can support the bike on its sump if you are CAREFUL. It is important to spead the load and the most commonly accepted way of doing this is with one of the stands like the factory stand or an aftermarket equivalent and then jacking the front end up by using a sheet of wood on a jack or other lifting device under the sump.

For more involved work like gearbox removal I tie down the front of bike and use a scissor lift under the sump, once again with a wooden block between it and the sump, to lift the rear end to allow removal of the relevant parts.

To whit......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pete
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks Pete, great info... I figured common sense would play heavily on this subject. BK
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Calling Beetle, did you get the bike lifter sorted , I'm after a single side lifter thingy like this one. Any one know a source here in Aus ? 
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 pm

I've got the prototype working. However, things started to bend. GRiSO is heavy. Shocked

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:30 am

Ron couldn't you whip one up yourself? Maybe put them into production at least for the north island - reckon you would sell a few...
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 am

Possibly Tony, but I've enough to do before Christmas, and if they were the right price why bother.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:04 am

Yes true
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:31 am

Remember, the target market is Guzzi owners. That means you think of a reasonable profit, halve it, don't charge for R&D, multiply that figure by seven and subtract it from the number you first thought of.

Then quietly announce you have it ready for production and wait for the shitstorm of corn cob pipists telling you it's too expensive and then posting images on the web of their solution made from roadkill, papyrus sheeting covered in cuneiform script and the worn out motors of superannuated and long retired sex toys.

This is the way the Guzzi aftermarket works. Don't waste your time. Life is far, FAR, too short!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 am

Ron, I got mine from Brooky's. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

alien

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am

best description of Guzzi owners spending habits I've ever heard was Pete's : "They can peel and eat and orange without taking their hands out of their pockets" !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 am

beetle wrote:
Ron, I got mine from Brooky's.  https://www.brookys.com.au

alien
Did you buy one and modify it,  At $300 it does sound a bit cheap ?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:27 pm

The stand itself seems to be functional, but as there isn't a adapter for GRiSO's, I had to manufacture my own adapter. The screw I chose for my main support pin didn't have the advertised proof load. It was allegedly Class 12.9, but methinks it was a knock-off. Suspect

It bent.

Very Happy

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Ohhhh, that could have been nasty. Ordering me one today cheers
Done, oh boy oh boy oh boy Laughing

Last edited by waterbottle on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Remember, the target market is Guzzi owners. That means you think of a reasonable profit, halve it, don't charge for R&D, multiply that figure by seven and subtract it from the number you first thought of.

Then quietly announce you have it ready for production and wait for the shitstorm of corn cob pipists telling you it's too expensive and then posting images on the web of their solution made from roadkill, papyrus sheeting covered in cuneiform script and the worn out motors of superannuated and long retired sex toys.

This is the way the Guzzi aftermarket works. Don't waste your time. Life is far, FAR, too short!

Pete

Just saw this.

So funny ... and not. Rolling Eyes

Bill

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:43 pm

waterbottle wrote:

You can buy mine for cheap. I think I'm going to stick with a sump stand.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm

beetle wrote:
waterbottle wrote:

You can buy mine for cheap. I think I'm going to stick with a sump stand.
cheers

Shit , I was a bit premature........... that hardly ever happens, honestly Rolling Eyes I'll see what sort of an adaptor I can come up with, If you still don't want it someone else will grab it ? Or pete could use it in his workshop ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:33 pm

It can always be used as a bad example...

Brodhurst likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 pm

S'OK. I'll carry on with the plan. Just need to get a proper rated screw.

Shut up, Tony. Embarassed

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:09 pm

I always thought the @Abba Bike stand could be made to work for the GRiSO.
Obviously by someone with many more fettling skills than I

Abba Bike stand Vids Clicky

Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:11 am

Hi,

I'm using a "Becker" stand, from the beginning I had my G12 (2010).
Bought it in Germany, right from his site.
This is the way I putting my G12 on the stand:
And secure it with the same tool, the other way round:
All pics from a few years back.
Latest version...:
Becker stand:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I did rebuild the adaptors, I don't like to tilt my bike just at 2 bolt heads...

Ad B
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:58 am

I was thinking of marketing and selling my unique stand design but the house bricks added a lot of cost to the postage cost and the plank is a tricky size to ship Very Happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:56 am

Becker stand for me too.

Last edited by guzziownr on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 am

^^^^^^^ as they say Becker
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Stands are for sissies!    

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi   Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Proper use of stands for working on a Moto Guzzi
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next