12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

V7 Classic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: V7 Classic   Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Just downed a pile of Scotch and an Old Speckled Hen (the Ale, not my wife's mother). Need to get lubed up to bitch to the PM about my taxes.

On another note: I was considering to buy the wife a used V7 classic for Xmas. 2011 model, before they rounded off the cylinders. Does anyone have any experience with this model, and if so, what should I be watching out for?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:27 pm

What do you need to know?
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:41 am

Just wondering if the V7 of this vintage had an Achilles heel, like the lifters on the 8v. I'v read a bit about some owners experiencing premature clutch wear, but not much else. Any insight into this model would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:15 am

You have to watch the oil in the older models. It'll be fine for weeks - then its gone. And it doesn't hold much (1.7l or something). 2011 and earlier will have a plastic tank, too. Maintenance is painfully simple. Adjust the valves and balance the throttle bodies and you should be good for a long time.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Couple hundred clams gets you a deep finned sump, oil capacity solvered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:47 pm

My wife had an 09 Classic (white tank model) for a little over 2.5 years and covered over 15000 kms... she loved it, but it did have some issues.  The chrome was rubbish and spotted with rust very quickly, requiring constant attention.  Chrome even peeled off in strips from the spoked wheel rims.  Both wheels were replaced under warranty, but these also showed signs of rust spotting very quickly.  

The early twin throttle body motors took at least 6-7000 kms to free-up, and oil consumption had to be watched if the bike was being used for short trips, though consumption when touring was fine.  Use of the specified engine oil (same grade and quality as the GRiSO btw) is essential.  Another glitch that affected our model was hard starting when cold and even when warmed up on occasions, and very annoying.  The starting issue was related to the poorly functioning 'cold start' lever, which is no longer to be found on the latest single throttle body models.  

Stock metzler tyres on early models were not up to much.  A change to Pirelli sport demons is/was the fix.  Stock suspension is/was also poor, but easily fixed with Ikons or similar.  A Dart screen also works well at touring speeds.  

As pokeyj has said, maintenance is simple, and despite the 'issues' we experienced Jan absolutely loved the ride', and now has a later single throttle body flat black Stone with steel tank, minimal chrome and alloy wheels.  The late model definitely revs out much more smoothly and delivers noticeably better power and torque, while no oil consumption issues have been noted in over 3000 kms

Apart from the potential issues around ethanol fuel and plastic tanks, if the bike you are interested in runs fine, has a service record and checks out in other ways it could be a fine bike for your wife.  But just a tip: let her ride and make the decision. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:48 pm

OK, the Smallblock design hang basically changed for nearly forty years. When you buy a smallblock what you get is basically a 1970's-80's motorbike with some modern accoutrements.

They are basically pretty solid nowadays. As others have said the main things to watch out for are, on the twin throttle body machines, their sudden and inexplicable ability to use all their oil! I had one customer who lent his classic to his daughter, checked the oil before she took it and it ran its big ends just south of Batemans Bay, a distance of about a hundred miles! As Wayne points out fitting a sump extension will gain you an extra litre of oil. It won't stop the sudden useage but it gives you that extra time before the engine makes the dreaded 'Dogga-Dogga' noise. Post 2013 single TB models have had their Pistons and rings re-designed and this appears to have cured the problem. I'm still at a complete loss though as to why the earlier bikes did it though. It isn't a real problem as long as you check your oil regularly, like every fill up on long trips, and fit an extension but it is something to be aware of.

Their dipsticks have a habit of vibrating loose. Tweak 'em up tight with multi grips.

Suspension is, Errr, rudimentary. It can be improved but it'll never be 'Modern'.

A lot of people piss and moan about their 'Lack of power' and bang on about how if manufacturer 'X' can get 80HP out of a 750 easily then Guzzi should be able to too. The fact is that the Smallblock is a very simple, cheap to build, obsolete and limited design. It CAN'T make a lot of power. If people can get over the swept volume of the engine and just like it for what it is they are a nice little thing but no matter what you try and do to it it will never make big power.

They are Guzzis biggest seller. There is a reason for that. It's a 'New' classic bike that appeals to older riders who want something that reminds them of their youth and hipsters who wish they were old men re-living their youths. They are very light and flickable and on a smooth secondary road they are a fun little thing. Just don't expect too much from them.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Hey, thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I have some head scratching to do.There are some pretty sweet deals to be had on NOS 2014's, but this bike is already kitted out with HB Juniors, Ikons, and some other nice doodads.
I may need to consult the good Doctor Glenrothes on this one... What a Face
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Came close with the V7, but ended up buying the missus a new 2013 Triumph Scrambler for a very sweet deal. I like the fact that there are way more products available for the Triumph, everything from bodywork, to suspension, to performance goodies.
Besides, If she doesn't like it, I'm sure that I can find a good use for it What a Face
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Good choice on the Scrambler. I have a modern Bonnie and it's a fantastic bike. Check out British Customs for exhaust. Mine has their predator cans. An 800 can't sound any sweeter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V7 Classic   Today at 11:50 am

Back to top Go down

V7 Classic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: