GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil Filters

Go down 
+10
ratso88
Oz1200Guzzi
dennis the menace
Pete Roper
MrSipps
Uzidzit
Grisonut
Grisodude
Steak
Guzziboy66
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

I was just reading the "Cost of first service" thread where someone asked about reusable oil filters.  It reminded me of a similar discussion about oil filters on the Wild Guzzi forum.  In that discussion someone (not me) pointed to a web site where oil filters were dissected and compared.  I thought you guys would find it interesting.  Here is a link to the site:  Oil Filter Comparison

Note: The reusable filters were not discussed or compared.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:15 pm

I always use the Hi-Flo HF551 filters that I can pick up from Moto International for about $9.

Alternatively, they are also available from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where I get my MOTUL 10W60 Full Synthetic motor oil. The Hi-Flo HF551 filters are only $4.84, so might as well pick some up along with your oils...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks Eric for the link.
Just purchase a Hi-Flo here in Australia,$20.00.
Must cost a lot to send downunder.
Unless we are being ripped off again.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I've been using the HiFlo filters as well, before that, the discontinued Purolator 16822.
I now use the Bosh 3330 because it's right off the shelves from my local part store.
I still keep a least 2 spares all the time at the house, just in case...
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm

14 flat unis in a 10 pak,
Back to top Go down
MrSipps
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
MrSipps

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 pm

I have used this style filter in multiple bike for many miles. My diesel friends swear by them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:48 am

Love to know how such a filtering medium can work as well as a disposable paper element?

Shitty snake oil sold by crooks IMHO. You want to risk your engine? Be my guest.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MrSipps
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
MrSipps

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 am

Pete,

I'm trying to think of the best wording for this....I have read your other posts and I respect and appreciate your opinions. However, I would never call a company crooks with out some evidence showing that they maliciously steal my money by selling a product known to destroy engines?  I have over 50k of mileage on different bikes using Scotts filters (k&P engineering), so I do have direct experience with this product. I have to assume you also have direct experience with this product as I just can't imagine someone having such strong opinions based on no experience or strong evidence.
If resin impregnated paper fibers are your cup of tea, good on ya.  But really calling someone "crooks"?

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 am

Exploiting the gullibility of others has always struck me as fairly dishonest. YOMV. That's fine. I'd rather eat worms than allow something like that near my bike. I wouldn't fit an 'Oil Cooler' dipstick either! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
MrSipps
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
MrSipps

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 am

Now I'm gullible. Do you have anything else? wow.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

Interest in the company have we? Such umbrage looks suspiciously like trolling to me.

Look, if people want to remove something, try and clean it, (How? Few people have an ultrasonic cleaner in their workshops.) and then reinstall it, risking returning debris to their engines rather than simply removing the contaminated article and replacing it with a new one that is fine by me. I wouldn't suggest it to any of my customers as a wise idea.

If 'Re-usable' filtering media were a cost effective, reliable, alternative do you not think they would of been universally adopted within the automotive industry? They haven't. QED.

Also what is going to be the advantage in terms of cost over the lifetime of the engine and how will that lifetime be extended? I see no pluses and many minuses here.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MrSipps
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
MrSipps

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 am

Sorry, not a troll and If we were at a bar I would buy you a drink and we would have a great conversation, even though you have now called me gullible and a troll.
I never find spending time working on my bike annoying and cleaning the filter is easy (I have and use an ultrasonic cleaner). If you want cheap, fast and easy stick with the paper filter. However I would say that the auto industry makes a shit ton of money selling filters to customers so why stray from the proven formula, I don't blame them. My original post was just my input on another option for everyone, hardly trolling, I didn't even call anyone names. I'll try and be better "company" from now on. I'm finished with this, to each his own.

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Fine? Personally I would strongly discourage anybody from using a 'Re-useable' filter. The chances of introducing contaminants into the most important, hard to get at and expensive parts of the motor is, in my opinion, too great. I also, despite the claims, doubt that it would be anywhere near as effective as a properly constructed spin on with a paper element. I feel exactly the same about air filters, lots of people disagree with me there too.

Your original suggestion was offering another option? OK, my original response was simply replying with a differing opinion. Where's the problem?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Just to put into perspective the filtration of scotts filter vs the factory or close eq.

scotts passes 99-100% of <35 micron particles, and blocks 99-99.8% of those larger.

The very good paper filters will hold 97-98% of 5 to 10 microns and pass .01%-.03% or so of particles at >35 microns. (there are worse than this but this is about right for a quality element)

Just for perspective 35 microns is .0015" or right at 1/4 of the intake valve clearance, or pretty much all of the main bearing clearance. (or about 400 grit grinding compound) Shocked 

I am familiar with these filters and they can be hard to clean, but have only seen them used on Mx race bikes...but they got fresh oil every race, usually they broke in some catastrophic way so hard to tell if they were a problem. the old xs-650 seemed to last pretty good with just 2 strainers, but they got oil every 1000mi if you were smart.
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

i use moto guzzi filters as in white box and eni agip mg/s gearbox oil as per manual penrite oils for engine an final drive as per photo[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

HF551 filters are good. If not in stock at your local store, buy in lots of 5 or so - usually someone on th ebay of es has some at a good price. When you get down to the last one, order again. $aves $$$
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am

i bought 4 filters last time have two left. i buy the gearbox oil from eni in melbourne 1 bottle lasts 2 services it is recommended for carc bikes i don't know what was in the gearbox when i bought the the bike but it made a big difference to the gearchanges not even a sound when selecting first gear so smooth there must be something in it.i don't have any thing to do with any if the shops up here one guzzi agent in townsville said they would ONLY charge $1000 for a service fark!!!! i do all my own servicing and maintanence this bikes a keeper. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Just my perspective on the metal mesh filter.

I've worked in the engine shop for a major airline for a number of years (BEST job I've ever had, made me sad to leave it) in addition to a couple decades of line maintenance. All engine oil filters I've ever seen were metal mesh. Hydraulic filters and fuel filters too. We never cleaned and reused them. Remove and Replace. We're talking aircraft part prices in the neighborhood of $1G++ for a filter. You'd think if cleaning a metal a mesh filter was an option these guys would be all over it, right. These guys are cheap they don't do anything that doesn't have a return investment.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

So too many beers, it's my weekend off.  Thumbs Up

Back to the filter rant.

We had Pratt and Whitney reps come in and cater lunch for all thee shifts, white table clothes and everything, because we had overhauled engines that had been on wing for 50,000 hours and were still making power. Think about it, that's a fuck ton of SFO/SYD/SFO runs.

Also I've never done an engine oil change on a gas turbine engine. Just filter replacement and endless top of the oil tank. It's really unfair to compare them to piston engines, completely different ops spec.

So, metal mesh filter must work. They also, apparently aren't made to be cleaned.

Closing, what ever you're comfortable with is fine. Just be aware.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Doesn't the HFI551 have a different No of flutes?

I picked up some from MI on their last day open but returned them when I realized that,
I went to great lengths to get a wrench to fit the UFI filter.

Besides, does the Hi Flow filter any better?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 pm

The HF551 does have a different number of flutes (12, I think). The good thing is you can get a garden gate fitment for one of them H*** D*** thingies, and possibly other brands, pretty much any bike shop. Cheap as chips.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:01 am

I've been building a list of Moto Guzzi CARC oil filter alternatives. YMMV.

Hiflofiltro HF551
Bosch# 3330 or 3400 (taller)
Purolator Pure One pl10241
FRAM PH3614 or  Fram PH6022 use at own risk)

K&N HP-1002

Wix makes great filters and will fit Guzzi's Napa gold is the same filter as wix. I found that these filters are just a hair smaller than the HF or UNI. A folded piece of paper towel fills the gap perfectly to be spun off.
WIX # 51215
NAPA Gold # 1215

I try to use the highest quality filter possible, and either use the HF or WIX, but wix has recently had some quality issues depending on where the filter is made. I'm considering changing over to the Bosch. I normally order three or four filters when I buy my oil so I'm not scrambling last minute.

markymarq likes this post

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Remember, the 2015 and up use HF565.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:03 pm

I didn't know that... I have a 2007 and 2014, what changed in 2015?

sideshowbob wrote:
Remember, the 2015 and up use HF565.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

2015 introduced the Cali 1400 style oil pan.

Same part number, B063271. It's called a motor oil cup!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Filters   Oil Filters Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil Filters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next