GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow

Go down 
+23
Steak
guzziownr
paulbrice
Silverfox
Grisonut
bioman
Charlie J
f-man
tocino
Oz1200Guzzi
okuraner
rboe
thornhillgriso
blue thunder
moto
CPB
Omnis
Spaceknight
mark111
DungeonMaster
Bill Hagan
GNORTS
plantboy
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spaceknight
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spaceknight

Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Empty
PostSubject: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Looking for some information on the Guzzi OEM bags vs. the H&B C-Bow mount bags.

Normally I hate the idea of hanging stuff off my bikes but since the GRiSO has zero storage I need something. No real place to stick a tail bag and I don't want to drill holes to mount the OEM tail rack. Not sure I want a tank bag either so saddle bags are the next best option.

The H&B C-Bow mounts seem to be a lot less obtrusive than the OEM mounts if the bags are not mounted on the bike. I expect the bags would only be mounted about 10% of the time. However it would be nice to have the official Guzzi bags and it looks like they have stronger mounts and would keep the bags from moving towards the tire.

Anyone have experience with either of these?
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:28 pm

I have the oem side bags and tail bag.  The original owner had them fitted when new, and I consider them a bonus for the riding I do.  I ride with the tail bag all the time and use it to carry such essentials as camera (when not in my jacket pocket), wallet, water bottle, cleaning cloth, spare glasses,side stand puck, sometimes a book or magazine etc.  The expandable side bags are small-ish but hold more than I first thought.  Unless I know that I need to use the side bags I remove them.

I don't find the mounts particularly unsightly and find the practicality of picking up a bit of shopping or whatever (my nearest town is about 30 kms away) far outweigh not having some carrying capacity.  The bags themselves are HD cordura and are very well made (in Germany as I just noticed), they are not waterproof but come with covers.  

Sorry I can't comment on the HB C-Bow mounts, but just bear in mind that you will need to make sure there is adequate clearance between the bags and any pipe you are running.  I have a 'textured' SS GPR can with a CF end piece that has less than .5 inch clearance to the bag, and heat is not a problem.
Back to top Go down
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm

I have the oem setup too. The racks for the saddlebags are pretty easy to install & remove, so they're not on the bike unless I'm planning a trip. The oem tail rack stays on all the time. I don't find it intrusive either, and the holes are easy to drill in the rear cowling. The hole centers are molded in to the underside of the cowl, so there's no guesswork. Everything lines up just fine. And the rack comes with black rubber plugs for the holes if you want to remove the rack. The stock tail bag fits nicely, and is all I need for day trips.

With the saddlebags, tail bag, a leftover tank bag from my California Stone (it fits!), and a duffel shaped dry bag lashed to the pillion seat, I can carry all the crap I need. If I'm camping (frankly getting too old to sleep on the ground), tent, sleeping bag and air mattress all fit on the back too. Love those Rok Straps! My G has a small Givi fairing and Stelvio hand guards. Wired for electric gloves and a small Garmin GPS. It's actually a pretty good touring bike. And it's the only bike I've ever owned that has a comfortable (for me) stock seat.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:45 pm

I have the C-Bows on mine.

They have been fine for me on many overnight trips.

Here are some pix of dressed and undressed.  Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As long as you understand that these are soft bags, and you haven't been spoiled -- as I have -- by the Norge's (or similar ST car-trunk capacity, all is well.  

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:29 pm

I should have bought a Norge.

clown
j/k!!
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I have the H&B bags and have used them multiple times and over some big distances, always found them good.
They do not go anywhere the rear tyre and to my eye are far better looking than the OEM bags whether they are on or off the bike.
One major advantage is the mountings take 10mins to put on and 5 Mins to take off so there is no need to leave them on if you prefer a cleaner appeance.
When I don't need mine I take them off the bike.
Back to top Go down
Spaceknight
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spaceknight

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the great info.

May go for the back rack and Guzzi bag if it's that simple to put on. I have a while to think about it as the bike is in mothballs wintering at the dealers heated winter storage location. I do miss it very much Sad
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:42 am

I found the OEM rear seat bag with its expanded zipped section deep, convenient and for short trips alleviates the need for the rear rack, side bags etc. It just hooks to the four mudguard studs with straps and plastic rings at the end.
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 am

Just ordered the C Bow rack and bags. Love the simplicity and the tidy appearance. Tired of not being able to carry an extra set of gloves, heated gear, bottle of water, etc.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 am

I've had the OEM bags for quite a while. They leak, of course, and the covers are the most fragile thing I can think of, short of a butterfly's wings. I finally have given up on the covers and carry everything in two-gallon Ziplock bags inside the saddlebags (which I highly recommend).

I don't find the brackets particularly unsightly, and I'm picky enough to have removed my crash bars for unsightliness.

I used to use an OEM small tank bag for carrying the basics on day trips, including a tire patch kit and electric pump. But now I've added two small, inexpensive, leather tool rolls like the ones the gay pirates strap to their handlebars. I strap them to the saddlebag brackets in place of the saddlebags for the day trips. They are just as long as the brackets are wide, and about 4 inches in diameter. It's a neat arrangement, though they look pretty much like saddlepurses if truth be told. It's nice not having the tank bag to worry about, and I'm not too worried about someone unbuckling my purses, so the emergency supplies are always on board.

Moto
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
blue thunder

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Sounds like a neat solution. Can you post a picture of your setup?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tripper.be
thornhillgriso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
thornhillgriso

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I have the OEM set up.  The other advantage of it is that I can fit a 1L tool tube strapped to the inside of the side bag frames, so even without the bags on I have some storage (could actually fit one on each side of the bike, but I only put one on).

Eric
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Just got my used to me OEM bags. Couple nit pics so far. Expansion zipper jams on one bags (used, so what do you expect?). But more damning; my sleeping bag (that barely fit in my Ortlieb bags, does not fit in the Guzzi OEM bag. Considering transferring the mounting system from the OEM to the Ortlieb or seeing the KlickFix mount can be purchased (yes) cheaply from Germany (unknown).

I like the OEM zippered opening and the semi-ridgid black look. On the other hand, the bright yellow Ortliebs are the adventure roll top full access and completely waterproof (tested!!) without the funky angles the OEM bags have (gee, I'm talking myself into using the Ortliebs! Smile  ).

Still going to use the OEM bags for the up coming Not-a-Rally, see how they perform on the road. I know how the Ortlieb's do. I have a medium dry bag from Wolfman that I convinced to take the sleeping bag (if I was not camping for one night I would not need the bag, tent and pad that go into the duffle bag). What I'm doing on this trip will pretty much match what I intend to take on the Datil Rally, so this is a dry run.

Dry run because no rain in the forecast and Datil gets you wet coming, going and staying!
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:43 pm

blue thunder wrote:

Here you go! Moto

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:46 pm

rboe wrote:
... seeing the KlickFix mount can be purchased (yes) cheaply from Germany (unknown).

I looked for those mounts on the internet with no luck. The producer's site just indicated wholesale/manufacturer availability. So if you do find them, post!

Moto
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On the left, select adaptor overview

On the new page, scroll down to Pannier Rails, highlight the KlickFix icon and click on it.
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
blue thunder

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 am

moto wrote:
blue thunder wrote:

Here you go! Moto
Thanks Moto! That looks nice. It gives the bike just that litte extra roughness.
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 pm

The C Bow kit arrived today.  Put on one side without trouble and thought it looked great.  Went to put on the other side and found one of the tapped holes had been tapped for a much larger bolt.

Put the second bag on anyway with just the 3 bolts.  Wanted to see how it looked.  Even with just 3 bolts, it appears to be very secure.  

Put a call in to Moto Machines anyway.  Want another C Bow with the proper tapped holes. So much for German attention to detail.
Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm

How about GIVI 3D600 Semi-Soft Easylock bags?
As usual, Givi do not produce tubular holder for GRiSO. I did and they are now available.
Givi 3D600 easylock side bags : Up to 25 litre each, expendable, comes with rain cover.
Holder is very easy to fix, lightweight (1450 gr both sides), No cutting or drilling.
Easily and for few dollars, it can revised to carry Hepco&Becker Cbow paniers

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
blue thunder

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 pm

That's a nice piece of engineering. Why can't Givi come up with such a simple solution? Looks like the Italian company doesn't like Italian bikes. Weird.
Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 pm

You're right. I am sometimes asking this question to myself. I hope Givi don't get mad at me for doing something for Italian bikes Laughing
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Awesome Onur
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Really nice!
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm

What should i say: Thumbs Up

Sven
Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow    Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Guzzi OEM bags or Hepco & Becker C-Bow
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next