GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Which GRiSO?

Go down 
+8
Pete Roper
DungeonMaster
sidrat
Grisonut
Guzzi Cat
LBC Tenni
pokeyjoe
12 posters
AuthorMessage
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:11 pm

One of my "local" dealers has two used Grisos. A 2010 with 18K on it for $7300 and a 2013 with 5K on it for $10.5K (and some left over warranty). Besides roller rockers and spokes, are there any other differences?

There's obviously no warranty on the 2010. How much would the roller rockers cost to install? Is it - or can it - be a DIY job?
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm sure you will get better advice than mine as I'm still a bit of a newbie but I would say go for the 2013. Spend the extra cash and and you may avoid some headaches which may cost you more than the difference.

Hopefully Pete and others will chime in here for you shortly.

Whatever you do though, buy a GRiSO!

Also, I think the upgraded roller kit runs around $1200.00 US plus labor but I could be a bit off. My dealer told me about $1500.00 cdn so......Anyhow, my 2012 had the tappets fail at just about the 10,000k mark. It was under warranty, thankfully.

I have heard that Guzzi covers the cost of the parts for this particular issue in many instances but am not 100% sure if the 2010 would fall into this category. I would imagine it does. Additionally, the labor for any upgrade on the older bike will not be covered.... you will have to pay for that portion.

Happy 2015!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:44 pm

+1 for the 2013. Lower miles and you don't have to worry about the tappets and whether Piaggio will pay for it. And I think that black devil paint looks the business.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:18 am

I would go for the 2013, I think it is the better deal and even though most of the cam issues were ironed out by 2010 I would like the idea of having the roller tappets, UNLESS the 2010 was Tenni Green (best colour) then I would have to think hard Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 am

You should be able to negotiate the price on the 2013.
I paid $11,200 for mine brand new...
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:53 am

Get the 2010 for $7k and spend the $3.5k enjoying it :-)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:16 am

Don't forget to verify that the drive shaft splines got lubed during assembly.
Mine weren't. I got it done before there was a catastrophe.

DM
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Whether the flat tappets will be reliable will, in my experience, very much depend on where and how you ride. In So-Cal the factors that contribute to failure are less of an issue but there is still the chance that they will fail.

The 'Upgrade Kit' to swap to rollers will cost, depending on which kit is required, $1200-1500. Installation cost is also dependent on whether the heads need to come off for the inlet valve springs to be shimmed. Whether you consider it a DIY job is entirely dependent on your experience and mechanical ability.

Pete
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks everyone. Are there any other differences between the bikes?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Not really. The 8V has remained unchanged in any real way since its launching 2008. The wheels, paint, different seat on the SE some early ones had 'Wave' rotors but apart from the change to roller tappets and a lighter clutch action the design has stayed the same. 2015 models have got a new one-piece sump design the same as the Cali 14 and there may be a few detail differences but nothing significant.

Pete
Back to top Go down
55tburt
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
55tburt

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:58 pm

I just bought a 2013 early in December, paid $10,500, full 2 year warranty. My GRiSO had 20 miles when I took delivery.
There are some deals out there if you look around. Any place where the brand is not known or Harleys are the only bike that anyone wants is a good place to look.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:48 am

DungeonMaster wrote:
Don't forget to verify that the drive shaft splines got lubed during assembly.
Mine weren't. I got it done before there was a catastrophe.

DM

This seems to be an on going issue... I would like to see a comprehensive thread about the common things to be aware of. BK

That said... I would go for the 2013.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 am

bobbyfromnc wrote:
This seems to be an on going issue... I would like to see a comprehensive thread about the common things to be aware of.

Olof (from Sweden) did a good job in his welcome post summarising some very common pitfalls and "things to be aware of":

"
- Engine oil: Stick to 10W60 fully synthetic, e.g. Motul 7100, and keep level between the lines. Try 3 liters to begin with.
- Oil temp: the GRiSO is overcooled and struggles in winter to get above 80C. An RR dipstick thermometer and oil cooler cover is worth trying.
- Gearbox and diff oil: Redline Shockproof Heavy works really well, but needs changing every now and then (5-10000 km).
- Suspension settings: sag (37 mm front, 33 mm rear, reduce factory compression and damping and perhaps raise the fork legs to 5th or 6th line
- Mapping: early bikes were rough but newer behave better as long as they are set up properly (not always the case) and keep the stock airbox and exhaust. Not perfect, however. All run the MM 5AM ECU. Lots of good aftermarket maps for open air and exhausts.
- Technical issues: few, if any, after replacing flat tappets with rollers. Plastic fuel tank swelling seems not to be an issue as for Ducati and KTM (different material, anyone knows?). Make sure to grease the rear splines, swingarm and linkage bearings as they may come close to dry from Mandello.
- Owners: Seems to be a great bunch. What's more, people really seem to fall in love with their bikes, even when plagued by niggles.

"

See: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But yes: perhaps we should have a Sticky with a list of "things to be aware of" before purchase and during ownership?
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:05 am

If you can afford it and not get in trouble with the better half, go for the later model. In any case, all bikes have issues, most are subjective, but all rectifiable. The good thing about the later model is that there are less non-subjective issues to worry about as they would have been ironed out. Hopefully.

Cheerio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which GRiSO?   Which GRiSO? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Which GRiSO?
Page 1 of 1