GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Throttle Body Overhaul

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

Throttle Body Overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:21 am

I need to get a throttle body assembly overhauled . Ideally this would include, new butterflies , possible bore of bodies to regain concentricity (and retain same degree of taper), New TPS, Stepper motor service, new rose joints and shimming of the butterfly shafts so the butterfly is positively located. A few years ago I priced a set of new T/Bs and that was$1800 AUD. If I have to buy a new set they will need shimming of the shafts to locate the butterfly or they will wear as well .....eventually. Are the Stepper and TPS available separately ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:23 am

Yes, but steppers are often blamed for problems that aren't stepper related. Really, if you are convinced your are up shit creek? Buy a set off Fleabay in the USA for a couple of hundred bux. Most of them are off low mileage bikes by our standards nd are practically brand new.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 am

It turns out that my TPS was knackerd. Swapped it for the one on my original T/Bs . If any one is interested you can buy a new TPS part No 05112830 and the stepper is part No 05135830. Now to find some butterflys and shims to suit ......
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:03 am

Good onya, digging right into it and getting the results.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:53 am

FWIW I sent my original T/Bs to EFI Hardware in Melbourne to see if they can make new butterflys and improve shaft axial play and sealing. I have a new TPS, $390 AUD, and thanks to Swagzz , I have some brass throttle rod rose joints theoretically winging their way to me .
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 pm

EFI Hardware in Melbourne have quoted $220 plus GST to replace the throttle shaft bushes and shim out the axial float. 10 days to a fortnight to do the work, I set that time frame ,they may be able to do it quicker, but I wasn't in a hurry. Now I cant wait. They can also supply and fit their throttle rod and rod ends, which involves removing the ball from the link arm, however Don Newell motorcycles can supply brass rod ends, which need 10 minutes worth of work to make fit There was a noticeable difference with these rod ends fitted so Im bustin to see what difference EFI's handiwork will provide.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:08 am

On Monday I got my T/B assembly back from EFI. For $411.40 (P&H and GST Inc) Both butterflys were replaced, both bodies were bored to clean up,and shaft bushes replaced in the LHS. There is no axial play in the left side and a thou or so in the right. Apparently the bush in the LHS was 6mm long but replaced with one 12mm long. I think it was money well spent.
I replaced the throttle rod with the one off the bike (with Brass rod ends) and set its length with both butterflys shut so that it slipped on to the balls without moving the butterflys. Fitted them to the bike ,set the TPS to 4.6 and started opening the stop screw. The TPS is brand new so I expected to be able to open the stop to achieve 9.2 and then reset TPS to 4.6. All was fine and dandy until I got to 5.7. Up till 5.7 the movement of the screw had produced fairly consistent progress through the numbers .It took nearly 90 degrees to move through 5.7 and about 10 to 15 degrees to progress through the rest . After 3 attempts at starting from scratch , with the same result I carried on and wished a pox on 5.7. 9.2 doesn't exist either 9.1 or 9.3 but no 9.2. Connected the manometer and started the bike. the 1850 RPM idle and the time taken to fall in revs after a blip and I thought bugger. With the engine at 65 degrees I set about balancing T/Bs. The manometer called for the Right T/B to be opened, which made the bike try and argue with itself. About now I had a zen moment and thought "fuck the fucken fuckitty fuck fuck" .Disconnected the manometer and hooked up the carbmate adjusted till the miss went away ,reset TPS and balanced the idle by opening the left air bleed, adjusted CO trim and ended up at 15, and took him for a ride . Steady idle, no popping on shutting the throttle, smooth acceleration no pinging, crack it open and initially no ping but after a second or so it would. it was 30 degrees c. Both plugs are nearly identical in color, lightish grey.
To be continued.......
Back to top Go down
swagzz
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
swagzz

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2015 2:59 pm

and?????
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm

YAAHOOO . Worth every cent. The difference is amazing. I would thoroughly recommend doing this if you reckon your T/Bs are worn. Can you move the butterfly shafts either up and down or side to side? I have a spare set of T/Bs you could fit to your bike while yours are bein recoed if ya want.
It took a bit of fucken about to get the bike tuned/balanced. Once I had added a bit here and there to Delta fuel it is now possible to be able to balance the T/Bs without it arguing with itself. I would like to buy the Innovate LM2 to match the map to the bike, but seein there is a new bike on the horizon I will wait a bit. But he starts and idles steadily hot or cold without touchin the throttle, only the most occasional exhaust pop, pulls like a freight train, no more "miss" on a steady throttle and all round sweet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Overhaul   Throttle Body Overhaul Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Throttle Body Overhaul
Page 1 of 1