GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hi From Northern Alabama

Go down 
+2
Bill Hagan
HLMiskelly
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HLMiskelly
Carlotto
Carlotto
HLMiskelly

Hi From Northern Alabama Empty
PostSubject: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 am

Hello, everyone. I joined this forum because I'm interested in getting an MG GRiSO. Before buying a GRiSO I want to see how reliable they are (my nearest MG dealer will be Atlanta, a good four hours away) and what type of customizing is being done to them.

I currently ride a '09 Triumph Bonneville and an '11 Yamaha FZ8, both farkled to my taste.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am

I am a big fan of Riders Hill in Dahlonega, and presume that is the dealer to which you refer, but Sloan's in Murfreesboro is, I would think, much closer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'll let others here address "issues," and you can certainly find some by just browsing this forum.

I will add, however, that, IMO, nothing (metal, anyway  Very Happy ) brings as much joy to me as my GRiSO.  Grinning now just thinking about spring and hearing it sing an Italian aria.  cheers

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 am

Welcome! I to will soon purchase a GRiSO. Plan on keeping it almost stock. Lowered pegs, handle bar risers. That's about it and certainly you want to checkout this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here is some of what I have gleaned from this site;
- Engine oil: Stick to 10W60 fully synthetic, e.g. Motul 7100, and keep level between the lines. Try 3 liters to begin with.
- Oil temp: the GRiSO is overcooled and struggles in winter to get above 80C. An RR dipstick thermometer and oil cooler cover is worth trying.
- Gearbox and diff oil: Redline Shockproof Heavy works really well, but needs changing every now and then (5-10000 km).
- Suspension settings: sag (37 mm front, 33 mm rear, reduce factory compression and damping and perhaps raise the fork legs to 5th or 6th line
- Mapping: early bikes were rough but newer behave better as long as they are set up properly (not always the case) and keep the stock airbox and exhaust. Not perfect, however. All run the MM 5AM ECU. Lots of good aftermarket maps for open air and exhausts.
- Technical issues: few, if any, after replacing flat tappets with rollers. Plastic fuel tank swelling seems not to be an issue as for Ducati and KTM (different material, anyone knows?). Make sure to grease the rear splines, swingarm and linkage bearings as they may come close to dry from Mandello.
- Owners: Seems to be a great bunch. What's more, people really seem to fall in love with their bikes, even when plagued by niggles.
- Make sure before delivery that swing arm bearings are properly greased as well as carc splines.

If anyone elses sees something I have failed to mention by all means hop in... BK
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Welcome HL, As long as you get a GRiSO that hasn't been screwed or molested by someone that hadn't a clue and felt that they didn't need to use the recommended 10w 60 oil or tamper with the sacred screw on the throttle bodies you should have no worries.
Of course if you can buy from a reputable Guzzi dealer with experience it would be the best!!

When I was researching buying mine I decided that I would only buy a 2010 or later 8v model as the earlier soft tappet problem seemed to have been ironed out by then, (maybe your going to buy new?) mine is a 2011 that I have for a year and a half  with no problems. LOVE IT,

Over here in the Emerald Isle we have NO dealer  Shocked so I wouldn't be to worried about the four hour spin to the dealer!! At least you wont have to put it on the ferry. Very Happy

Bobbyfromnc has covered most of  the issues in his reply,

Best of luck with it,
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 am

G'day mate. What could possibly go wrong buying the GRiSO you ask? Well, you might start neglecting all that's important now, because all you'll wanna do is ride.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:46 pm

The worst regret you will ever have in your life is NOT owning a GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi From Northern Alabama   Hi From Northern Alabama Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hi From Northern Alabama
Page 1 of 1