GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuzziTwoShoes
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
GuzziTwoShoes

Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right? Empty
PostSubject: Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?   Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Reading one of Beetles recent posts got me to thinking about the free play in my throttle cable.
I have some slack in there, I guess I can turn the grip about 3-5mm before the revs pick up.
The bike has always been a bit snatchy at very small throttle openings, and I've always feathered the clutch slightly to get around it.
Have I got too much free play, or is the snatchiness down to the fact I (still) don't have a baffle in the Termi pipe?
Cheers,
GTS
Back to top Go down
http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?   Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Basically the trick is to first make sure there is slack in the closing cable, then remove slack in the opening cable until there is only barely perceptible movement in the twistgrip before the engine speed picks up and then remove free play from the closing cable until it no longer has much perceivable slack in it down by the cam on the throttle body. The cables shouldn't be bow-string tight and the opening cable has to allow the stop on the bell crank to contact the idle stop screw easily and securely. Also it shouldn't be so tight that the engine speed rises as the bars are moved from lock to lock.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?   Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:21 pm

I use the TPS readings in the diagnostic software as a guide when adjusting the throttle cables slack.

After resetting the TPS with slacken cables (which you should do before resetting the TPS), I will adjust the cables as described by Pete, removing slack as much as I can, until I see no TPS reading changes from lock to lock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?   Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Slack in the throttle cable. How much is just right?
Page 1 of 1