GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

So how much does it cost.......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

So how much does it cost....... Empty
PostSubject: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:34 pm

If you ride your 8V to death and it requires a crank up rebuild?

Interesting question and it will vary from bike to bike and what you actually need to replace but if you decide to do your Stelvio, even if it doesn't require major parts like barrels and pistons or main bearings and valves it gets real expensive real fast.

The parts required for this screw up came to close to $2000 and that was with me sourcing some of the more expensive bits from overseas to try and keep the cost down.

Labour? Well, I charged 24 hours for the motor and that included completely disassembling the heads and re-lapping the valves and I didn't charge a cent for the two very low mileage inlets I used rather than new ones as they had done less than 3000 km in a warranty take off head. Had to give the seats and valves a touch up with the Neway kit too. New rings, all gaskets and seals, new camchains and tensioners, more o-rings than you could poke a stick at. It all adds up.

Getting the wretched thing in and out of the frame along with generally servicing the bits taken apart got booked out as 28 hours and that was a very conservative effort, I had to break into both the clutch and brake hydraulics and bleed the ABS after it wasn ack together. All these things take time.

At the end of the day the bill is just north of $7,500 including GST. Imagine what it would of been if it had needed major componentry! A GRiSO would be cheaper because they are much, much easier to get the engine out of than a Stelvio but even so, a similar job would still cost you only about a grand less.

So. If someone says to you "Hey! You know you can get your bike to run really sweet with a variable resistor in line with the O2 sensors! It's really cheap!" Just say "No!"

Pete

PS. It also trashed its cams and tappets due to diluted oil but I managed to get a kit for that. If I hadn't you could bung another two grand on the top of the bill!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:04 am

I'll bet my left one the people selling the O2 sensor trickery sleep like babies Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:21 am

Don't forget to add $400 for the new map.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 am

Stick another zero on the end!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:32 am

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:52 am

waterbottle wrote:
I'll bet my left one the people selling the O2 sensor trickery sleep like babies Rolling Eyes

The thing is Ron that I think they honestly believe that they are supplying a cheap way of 'Making the engine run better'. With Smallblocks with the 15M controler, even though I always counsel against them, I have customers who run them and they seem to work, well, if not *Fine* then they do at least work to smooth out the super-lean trim without, as far as I have yet to find out, fucking anything.

The reality is with the W5AM is that these things area ire poison. The narrow band sensors are dumber than dogshit and because the maps are non-linear, (For want of a better, stupid, explanation, i'm sure some of the geeks can explain it better.) you can end up with the engine grossly over-fuelling and if you're unlucky it will be when you're on the cruise. Bores wash, oil gets diluted, nothing can work as it should and it all goes to hell in a handbasket really quick!

The thing that amazed me is that despite this thing being run UNTIL THE OIL LIGHT CAME ON! And then simply re-filled and bought down to me, with top-ups along the way, there was little bore damage and the Pistons still had their Teflon coating on the thrust side. Even more astonishing was that the big ends were perfect!

Guzzis! Can't *Really* kill 'em even with serious abuse and neglect! Brilliant!

Pete
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 am

waterbottle wrote:

To date, I have been unable to get the owners of such devices to back off on their adamant support. The Aprilia forum is as pro-FatDuc as Guzzitech is pro-PC. In the case of the former, it may be due to the fact that no other options are available. You can't use a PC on a Shiver/Dorsoduro and no one is playing with maps. So people feel the need buy a FatDuc when they buy their aftermarket exhaust or remove their cat. Given the options, I've just left my Dorso stock.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:23 am

Which Doso? The small one uses the 5SM and the big one the 7SM don't they? I thought you could get a PCV/AT to work with the 5SM at least? Finding someone who knows what they're doing is another matter entirely.

Pete
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:31 pm

It's the 750, Pete. No one has gotten the PC to work and the only maps that might be available are using Rexxer, but no one has done it. Everyone says they can, but no one has done it. Too small a market maybe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how much does it cost.......   So how much does it cost....... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

So how much does it cost.......
Page 1 of 1