GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dash went blank.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Went for a short ride today the wife and I...
Stop for breakfast first and then push on to visit friends at a Marina that were on their way to go on a boat ride.
On the way there though, the wife tells me via our intercom that her cluster on her bike (07 1100) is stuck a 80mph and it's not racking up miles so basically it was froze up.
A few minutes later, she says that now it went blank just like when the bike is turned off. Weird scratch
I tell her that we'll look at it when we'll get there, that it's most likely a computer glitch.
Sure enough, we got there and shut the bike off, cranked it right back up and the dash was displaying like it should.
The ride back was uneventful as well.

I heard that some early Grisos had the dash/cluster failing and I'm wondering if it's a sign before it shits the bed or simply a glitch like I said.
My 09 had a freeze once and it was displaying a stuck 5mph on my way to work that day but it went back to normal on the next start up and never acted funny after that...

Anyone with similar experience?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Was it wet? Had you recently washed the bike?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm

No Sir. No water near the bike lately.
Used it Thursday to go to work and everything was normal.
My bikes sit in the garage in a dry environment as well so it's not water/humidity related...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm

First thought was speedo sensor but they usually fail when wet.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:54 am

I'm not gonna worry too much about it.
If it fails, I'll address that issue when I cross that bridge.
In the meantime, I will check that speedo sensor and see if anything looks amiss...
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:51 pm

speedo sensor gives different synptom
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
First thought was speedo sensor but they usually fail when wet.

Pete

My speedo quit on leaving the wet Aussie Cabal last month.  This meant all dash functions based on speed/distance were out.   It was a bit disconcerting at first but the speedo came back to life after about 1.5 hrs running in mostly dry conditions.  All has been functioning normally since, even through some recent heavy rain, with no hiccups.  Speedo sensor must be self-healing to some extent after drying out.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Rode the bike today going to work and doing errands mid day.
No dash misbehaving.

I also just realized that I tapped into the harness a few years back to install a Datatool gear indicator since the wife wouldn't stop bugging me about it.
This thing quit working a couple months ago. lol
I wonder if that failed gizmo would interfere with things because it's connected to the tach and speedo...
I'll take it off the bike and junk it anyway.
Back to top Go down
thornhillgriso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
thornhillgriso

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 pm

I had a blank dash on my 1100 when the speedo sensor was acting up.  It was sometimes blank, sometime froze, and sometimes inverted itself, all very inconsistent.  Sometimes it worked just fine.  I didn't have any rain or wash it either but it all went away once the sensor was replaced.

I bought another dash, and I have still have it if you find that is the problem and are interested, but it's likely the less expensive speedo sensor.  If it's just the electronic display that;s died and the idiot lights and tach are working, I'd start with the sensor.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dash went blank. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash went blank.   Dash went blank. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dash went blank.
Page 1 of 1