GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Good ride, questionable end

Go down 
+5
little750
Pete Roper
Ralf z
beetle
opc
9 posters
AuthorMessage
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

Good ride, questionable end Empty
PostSubject: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Took the GRiSO for a romp around the hills today, 240miles total, that kind of ended on a sour note. Towards the end of the ride, last 60mi or so, I noticed that my idle was high - 2500RPM. Clutch in or in neutral it was the same.  When I got home I let it idle for a bit and it did settle back down to 1200RPM after about 30seconds, but it does smell like gas when I went back out to the garage a couple of hours later.  I hit the starter and it struggled to get going, but did fire up. Idle at 1200RPM. Killed it, started it up again with no problems. Question
One other symptom I've noted is that it doesn't like heat, it has stuttered at idle sporadically when the weather's hot. It was 104°F on the last bit home.

So, the bike is 2014 with 3000mi. I've been running Beetle's FU map for about 2000miles. Stock exhaust.

It's too late in the evening to go poke around anymore, but any thoughts for investigation?

Last edited by opc on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added subtitle)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I've had the same thing happen to me twice. ~2000 rpm idle after a long spirited ride. Both times with different maps and exhausts. Both times, as I pulled into my driveway, idle stuck at 2000. After I open the garage door and ride in, both times it went back to normal. I can't explain it and have no real idea why it happens. Maybe the stepper has a hissy from the heat?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I'll keep an eye on the idle and see if anything consistent turns up. Otherwise, just ride.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:29 am

I have it happen abit.
What I've found is,
When it happens I load up the clutch abit as I'm slowing down and the idle will drop.
Or if stopped hold the front brake and load the clutch up a little bit and it drops.
Does that make any sense to anyone?
scratch
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 am

Oddly enough, and perversely, mine only does it in cool/cold weather! Usually at the first roundabout in Queanbeyan after I've ridden from home. Idle will hang for ten or fifteen seconds then it settles down and rarely happens again.

It seems to do no harm and isn't constant so I've sort of got to the 'Meh!' stage with it.

In hot aether it's most likely the stepper misbehaving.

Pete
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:41 am

Mines does it very occasionally and have got the same as Mark it's a Meh moment.
Back to top Go down
motomonster
Carlotto
Carlotto
motomonster

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:08 am

Mine does that. Pete suggested I put in too much oil. Is that no longer the diagnosis?

I've found that if I put the bike in gear and let the clutch out a tad while still holding the brake that the little bit of engine load will drop the idle.

I'm taking it in for service soon to MI, and they said they would look at it. If y'all come up with anything in the meantime, please post.
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks for the replies, all.  It's good to know my beastie isn't the only one with quirks.  I'll try Ralf z's and motomonster's clutch loading if it recurs.  If that fails, I may take it in to have them poke at the stepper.

motomonster, my oil level has never been above the half-way point on the dipstick.  I doubt there is much in the throttle bodies, if any at all.  Please post if you get any info from your service visit.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 am

I have the same problem. Asked Pro Italia shop about it and they asked me if I had a different map (with a hard look) then said "they all do that". Reminded me of when I had my Buell except EVERY answer was "they all do that", even when it had a blown head gasket...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Seriously, I don't think its a fault with the stepper itself. The stepper just does what the ECU tells it to do. If the stepper got stuck or didn't move, you're get a service code.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 pm

The steppers can get gummy. The TB butterflies too can get clogged and not return to a fully closed position. By loading up the engine with the clutch you can increase manifold depression by slowing the engine and therefore increasing its VE. That drops the pressure on the downward side of the butterfly so atmospheric exerts more force on it helping it close.

Overfilling can exacerbate the issue but all TB's should be removed for cleaning periodically.

Pete
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:09 am

Mine has done it since new with all different versions of maps every time I come down of the mountain and stoped for the first time. Peculiar but not a concern.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm

opc wrote:
I noticed that my idle was high - 2500RPM. Clutch in or in neutral it was the same.  When I got home I let it idle for a bit and it did settle back down to 1200RPM after about 30seconds

My 2007 GRiSO 1100 has exactly the same habit once the engine gets really hot (and especially when the outside temp is also warm/hot).  Like yours it settles back after 20-30 seconds but if I move the throttle a bit, it immediately calms down to 1200-1300 RPM.  I assumed it is the throttle bodies that need a cleaning?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good ride, questionable end   Good ride, questionable end Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Good ride, questionable end
Page 1 of 1