GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Has your oil cover warped?

Go down 
+17
LBC Tenni
Steak
Wet Coaster
guzziownr
Street
Josh.C
keenerkeen07
Gr8V
waterbottle
bioman
Phang
NorthernProducer
wardentm
beetle
Pete Roper
Spaceknight
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

My OEM oil cooler cover warped
Still perfect
Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_lcap44%Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_rcap
 44% [ 28 ]
Yes, it has warped
Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_lcap52%Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_rcap
 52% [ 33 ]
Haven't even thought to look
Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_lcap4%Has your oil cover warped? I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 64

AuthorMessage
Spaceknight
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spaceknight

Has your oil cover warped? Empty
PostSubject: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 am

My new GRiSO just passed 2000 miles and the oil cover grill has started to warp. When it cools off it goes back to normal pretty much but I wondered how prevalent this issue really is.

Guess it's time to find a nice looking replacement.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:47 am

Mine did on my 1100 but my 1200's has been fine. Go figure?

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:49 am

24,000km and still perfect. cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:33 am

Yes
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:54 am

It started to warp within the first 1000 miles on my 2015 GRiSO. Replaced it with one of Todd's covers and all is well again.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:30 am

Mine is fine after 5 years (21,000km)

Pete, I'll quote what you wrote 4 years ago  study

Quote :
Leak wasn't from a fitting.

remember the early Grisos had a problem with the louvres warping on the outside of the radiator element? Well it seems that the way that was fixed was by adding a couple of plastic 'Tongues'to te top and bottom louvres so they are less inclined to warp upwards/downwards.

Problem is that these 'Tongues' go between the top and bottom of the radiator and the 'Surround' and on my bike in the 30,000 miles of hard riding on all sorts of roads from Freeway to single track dirt the louvre has beenable to vibrate enough to slowly errode the base of the radiator! This may well be an issue specific to my bike but since mine is probably one of the higher mile Grisos out there it might be worth checking for anyone with five minutes on their hands.

The Louvre is held on by 4 screws. Just undo them and tug the louvre off. If it is held tight at either the top or the bottom by the tonges on the louvre I'd suggest simply cutting the 'Tongues' off. OK the top and bottom runs may then warp but to my mind that's better than wearing a hole in the oil cooler radiator.

Anyway, I took it in to my local radiator shop this arvo and it'll be ready tomorrow after they've re-soldered it. Cost? Probably a sixpack or $20. Damn sight cheaper than a new rad! They retail here at $432!!! Incidentally the rad is made by KTM. It sez so on the top!

Bottom 'Tongues' where they have been rubbing between the cooler and the housing.

Damage to cooler. This is where the radiator was leaking.

Slightly better one of the louvre and the wear on the 'Tongues'.

As I said, no big drama, no 'Catastrophic Failure' just a leak that took five minutes to find and $20 to fix.

I award myself 'Elephant Stamp and Gold Star' with bar! Or at the very least a beer!
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes, warped but at 45,000 km I could consider it normal "wear & tear".  I recently replaced it with an aluminium screen which I sprayed black, except for the GRiSO name which I had taped off (following the example of fellow Ghetto-member).

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:25 pm

09 model 30000 kms , still like new. Might remove it today to check for that wear/ rub point shown above by Phang, (thank you, didn't know they where in there)
I think installing with (Roof and Gutter) silicon on those Tongues will stop them rubbing, and it's a pretty weak silicon, bond wise. So it will come apart again easily Wink
Back to top Go down
Gr8V
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Gr8V

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Mine is still OK after 28000Km but I purchased a new one from Stucchi (looks a bit like the door of an old wood fire) and I'm not sure if I like the look of it now that its here. Also not convinced that there will be enough air flow in the summer.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:59 pm

my grill warped ... i threw it in the bin, put the fasteners back so it looked like nothing was missing and moved on ...try it without and see what you think..i like the look others do not  Thumbs Up
the cooler itself is pretty robust , i have had no issue in 12 k ..my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:35 am

My cover started warping at under 1000kms as best I recall. Picked up the GuzziTech version of the RP and quite like it. Wouldn't mind a black aluminum version of the original OEM design though either.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Mine is fine after 26,000km.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm warped.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Mine did on my 1100 but my 1200's has been fine. Go figure?

Pete

Ditto, but I had a 4V and just got a 2V. Obvious warping. DW
Back to top Go down
Wet Coaster
Carlotto
Carlotto
Wet Coaster

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Mine warped within weeks of buying the GRiSO (1100). Bought the same screen as Bioman but didn't paint it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 am

My second 1100 warped, but my 1200 stands firm.

I love the shape of the OEM cover, not a single one of the aftermarket options can match the twisting vanes of the original. Barbeque grills and cheap looking sheet metal...

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 am

Steak wrote:

I love the shape of the OEM cover, not a single one of the aftermarket options can match the twisting vanes of the original.  Barbeque grills and cheap looking sheet metal...

I'm another who like the original grills.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:10 am

Plus three.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 am

Plus four. Even warped it's better than a hibachi grill.
Back to top Go down
GrisoGhost79
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
GrisoGhost79

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:00 am

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" border="0" alt=""/>[/img]

Mine started to warp after a 250km romp with air temperatures at 32C...hence the reason i switched mine out.

The after market covers are fine but you can also get your own "one off" made for a few bucks more at a design shop or any place with a milling or CnC machine.

Not the best pic of it but you get the idea

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 pm

The one in the G11 service PDF is warped -- not as badly as mine tho.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:18 pm

guzziownr wrote:
The one in the G11 service PDF is warped

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Steak wrote:

I love the shape of the OEM cover, not a single one of the aftermarket options can match the twisting vanes of the original.  Barbeque grills and cheap looking sheet metal...

I agree. I tried my Steam Punk Style louvered cover on for size, but it didn't really get me too excited and the reaction from the Peanut Gallery wasn't very supportive either. Back to the original piece, embracing its warpage...
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:47 am

Street wrote:
Back to the original piece, embracing its warpage...

Think of it as the GRiSO self-customizing itself so that it will be unique! clown
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 am

I just bought a new original it was less than £10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has your oil cover warped?   Has your oil cover warped? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Has your oil cover warped?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next