GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

mistral high pipe

Go down 
+7
fishbulb
Peaceman
jomartijr
beetle
LBC Tenni
Pete Roper
matt289
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:03 pm

I was wondering if anybody has a mistral high pipe on their GRiSO without remapping it? I'm kind of computer illiterate and it seems like I may make a mess of things doing a remap and such. I want to just slap this high pipe on and go, but now I'm a little worried about performance and mpg after reading several threads. This is my main commute vehicle and I do about 45 miles one way 5 days a week and can't afford for it to be down because of something I didnt do properly. thanks for any input guys.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Sure it'll run. It'll run best with the dB killer in but without a remap you're really sacrificing so much.

Pete
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:49 pm

I'll be honest pete, it does not seem like a walk in the park to remap one. I wouldn't mind doing it but I live in San Francisco metro and we have a climate like no other around and I would be leary if the remap would be good for here and like I said before I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to all this computerized stuff. I wouldn't mind doing it but if I don't get it right I'm not going to be able to go to work and that's definitely no good. so honestly how many computer skills do you really need to do a remap. I can operate a computer in most cases, but I have seen a lot of scary post about the remapping.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:30 pm

It's really very simple but if you are worried? Don't do it. It's not compulsory.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Matt, I was once fearful like you. Check out this thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Toward the bottom Tocino posted a step-by-step video of his remap. This is what convinced me to try it. It really is very easy. If you can follow the directions in that video, you can do it. The increased fuel economy pays for the cables in short order and your GRiSO's performance will be much improved.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 pm

If you don't get the remap you'll never know the fearsome grunt that this pipe can unleash. I wonder if NorthBayGriso is still around? He remapped his GRiSO as much as the next guy. He was a 'beta' tester for me. Maybe he would be willing to do it for you?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jomartijr

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:23 pm

My 2015 SE with 935 miles on it has the Mistral Hi Pipe installed and with the low miles still has the stock map. It runs fine though the throttle is little abrupt at 1200-3000 rpm. Otherwise seems fine and gets 41 mpg the last two tank fill ups.
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 pm

I saw the video lbc put a link to. it doesn't seem so terrifying seeing it done. I'll check on north bay GRiSO as well.. but I will probably give it a shot.. I can save my original and always go back to it if all else fails. hopefully. lol
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Note all the advice about tune as well. If you are running an open loop map the tune must be spot on or it won't run optimally. Valves at 6&8 thou, balanced TB's, TPS and self learners re-set. This is vital. Unlike the closed loop maps the system can't trim to compensate for inaccuracies in the tune.

Pete
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 pm

pete, is there a thread on here about balancing the TB's and adjusting the valves?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:47 am

Not sure? I may of written something I can't remember. If people would like I can do an illustrated write up and ask Steve to sticky it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Peaceman
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Peaceman

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:38 am

Third post in this thread.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I never went beyond oil and filter changes and removing wheels to take to a shop for new tire installs until I learned from this forum how to really unleash the GRiSO's potential. Its not hard at all but take the time to aquire the proper tools and equipment and follow the steps that are so well described by Pete and Beetle and others here and you will be so happy you did. Its like you traded in your old bike and got a new one.
Back to top Go down
Peaceman
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Peaceman

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:43 am

Somehwere there is also a thread with pics showing which is the proper screws to adjust etc but I can't seem to find it.
Back to top Go down
Peaceman
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Peaceman

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 am

duhhh pics are farther down same thread....can i blame this ipad thing?
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 am

thanks a million fellas!! I'm going to order the cables and my mistral pipe in the next few weeks and attempt to do a remap.. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'll probably have some more questions before then though. lol
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 pm

I just completed installing the pipe and remapping my 2013 and I can tell you it gives the thing quite a kick in the pants. I can confirm what Pete said about the tune having to be spot on. It took buying a new throttle body balancing tool (CarbTune, on Marks's advice) and a couple of iterations of syncing and resetting the TPS to get a smooth throttle response but it did make a noticeable difference.

tod
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:21 am

thanks for the heads up fish. I'm really excited to get my stuff ordered. just gotta save up a Lil bit more.
Back to top Go down
AOAM
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
AOAM

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:05 am

Yeah mine is quite a bit better too. I don't think it does much in terms of power - and I understand that wasn't the intent - Just don't think it'll turn it into a monster. In my opinion, just a more pleasant GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:10 am

Outright power increase was never the aim and has never been claimed but the linear delivery and increase in low and midrange torque is very noticeable on a correctly tuned machine.

Pete
Back to top Go down
matt289
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
matt289

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:16 am

I don't think it needs any more power honestly. but more torque and better fuel economy sounds nice.. and I bet it'll sound better too.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:33 am

G'day all
How pricey is the TB balancing CarbTune ?
I am trying to muster the courage to get the cables and try this 'mapping' thingy but I am told the tune has to be spot on first, so I have to jump this hurdle first.
Caio
Back to top Go down
AOAM
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
AOAM

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:44 am

Pete - right on. I didn't want more power. I wanted better delivery. That was achieved in spades. Very happy.

Matt, it sounds okay with the db killer. Much better without (in my opinion). But I like the delivery with the db map more so that is how I ride.

Warden, I think my device was around 90 dollars U.S.
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:20 pm

I bought the CarbTune shipped from the UK and it was $100 US dollars.  My old mercury manometer was giving me fits with inconsistent results.  I don't know what could go wrong with a puddle of mercury and some plastic tubes but the CarbTune was the answer to one of the puzzle pieces.  The other pieces were the pipe itself, Mark's map, careful TB sync and TPS reset using the CarbTune and GuzziDiag, and last but not least, a tweak to the CO adjustment (as per Mark's guidance).  The big payoff for me was the throttle response but as Pete said, all this done right and you will feel the extra torque. I just spent the happiest 2 hours I have had on the bike after this set of mods.  Just wow.

tod
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:08 am

AOAM wrote:
Pete - right on. I didn't want more power. I wanted better delivery. That was achieved in spades. Very happy.

Matt, it sounds okay with the db killer. Much better without (in my opinion). But I like the delivery with the db map more so that is how I ride.

Warden, I think my device was around 90 dollars U.S.  

Certainly the no dBk map produces more top end, if you want to abuse the clutch a bit you can get air in third, (Well, I can but it's an effort!) but I keep my dBk in because this configuration, with the right map, makes the bike delightfully smooth with fluid power and torque in the areas I spend most of my time which is below 7 grand and I rarely use 100% throttle.

If I want to really act the goat removing the dBk and flipping the no dBk map in takes fifteen minutes but I rarely do it and I find the extra vibration and noise irritating. When cruising between 'Good' roads where I want to press on a bit having the dBk installed also renders the bike almost silent as long as I have ear plugs in. I like that, especially on long journeys where I find both wind and engine noise tiring.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:27 am

I've had complaints that some maps have made the GRiSO less fun to ride. Really, I ask? Yeah, it seems more docile down low and the kick in the arse at 5500 RPM is gone.

Well, yes. There's more power down low and the delivery is linear to redline. It's a perception thing mostly. I think if some peeps did timing runs before and after, they might be surprised.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

mistral high pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: mistral high pipe   mistral high pipe Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

mistral high pipe
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next