GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

replacement horns?

Go down 
+13
DangWangi
Dilliw
moto
Street
Steak
keenerkeen07
rboe
beetle
Birch
wardentm
Daves-i-Know
Grisonut
JohnA
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

replacement horns? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:33 am

Received the below Hella Horn (1). It's about the same depth as he original but it's about 3/4 larger in diameter. It fit in the space and the connectors fit without modification. I had to use the bracket that came with the horn to replace the OEM bracket because the hole wasn't large enough on the OEM bracket and it was just easier that way. So, it was a 10 minute job. It's larger than the opening in the cowling but fits fine and is plenty loud and sounds like a foreign car rather than the "meep meep" than someone else mentioned as the original sound.
I think I'll only need one and not have to replace the other too but we'll see. Big difference.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:54 am

Good to know, JohnA. I looked at the advertisement link you sent, and it's a completely different

Hella than the one I was envisioning. The one I saw had a cage around the horn and was yellow.

This one looks a lot more functional. If mine bites I'll give it a try. Mine is made by Nissan, so I'm

hoping it sounds like an angry Sentra! Or at the very least a mildly pissed off Micra.

I love the ad for the Hella "if your horn sounds like an apology...."
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 9:19 am

Alright, a happy ending to my horn quest! After getting a refund for my mini-bomb, which was very loud,

but also quite large and cumbersome, I went on a search and found another option on Aliexpress.

It's called a "Seger" and its model is "55B Mini Shell Horn". I ordered it awhile ago, but it was

around $50. It is a very solid feeling horn, and is a perfect fit in the GRiSO, just slides right into

the existing space with no adjustments needed. And it is much louder than the stock horn.

I tried to contact the manufacturer to find out what the "55B" designated (some strange decibel -like number?),

but the language barrier got in the way. He did say this horn was louder than the horns with a 44 designation, so I went with that.

I know, it seems that would be a logical answer to assume, but I've found weirdness everywhere in parts labels in the past.

Anyway, the 55B is probably not as loud as the mini-bomb was, but it still made me jump when I first tested it on the

install ! I am very happy with it, and it does sound like the horn off

maybe  a Rav-4, or similar mini  SUV.

Thankfully, my horn no longer sounds "like an apology".

(excuse the reverse pic, but you get the idea)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 9:22 am

BTW- it was $50 for a pair. Each horn has a different pitch
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Nice work. Persistence pays off.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 am

Nice! I found some specs on aliexpress, which I'll attach below.

It seems the OD of the horn is the same as the OEM one (77mm by my approx measurement).

Manufacturers' claims for dB loudness (105 dB A in this case) are pretty useless without full specs (e.g., the distance from the horn). It would be great if you could measure it yourself, comparing what you find with the OEM horn. (And then report your results here.)

I downloaded a free sound meter for my Android phone which works very well (though I have no way to calibrate it). It seems to be called "Sound Meter" version 2.8, and looks just like a vintage bakelite-cased meter. (BTW, I've loaded up my phone with all sorts of useful, free meters. If I'd only known about their availability I would have gotten a smart phone much sooner!)

Looks like a great choice!

Moto

P.S. I don't think the GRiSO horn is relay-activated. There is no relay on the wiring diagram, at least for the 1100. The main risk of leaving out a relay is to your left-hand handlebar switch, which probably is expensive.

Here is the spec blurb for your horn from the aliexpress vendor:

55B mini basin-type horn sound is the introduction of imported manganese alloy plate, high toughness, high pressure, latest Mini-effective space-saving design, installation more convenient, 360 of fully waterproof, life testing of up to 10 for more than ten thousand times, continuous whistle three minutes does not burn. The main parameters: standard voltage and current: (12V, 5A), frequency (Hz) Treble 420 & plusmn; 30 , bass 350 & plusmn; 30 Sound level: 105dB (A) --- 118dB < / span> (A)
Size: thickness 50, diameter 77.  (35807781676) (106908822)

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 am

"P.S. I don't think the GRiSO horn is relay-activated. There is no relay on the wiring diagram, at least for the 1100. The main risk of leaving out a relay is to your left-hand handlebar switch, which probably is expensive."

I was told by MPH Cycles that my 1200 has a relay in the circuit and I added one new horn to one of the sides. In looking at the wiring diagram for the 1200, I don't see any relay.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:01 pm

So I've finished my horn replacement project.  These are two tone and are just a skosh bigger than stock.  Just had to push them away from the tunnels a little after I mounted them.

The first shipment had a bad horn but the fellows over their in Asia just sent me another pair.  For a few dollars more you can get them in black but what fun would that be!

Sound?  The two tone definitely sounds meatier than the OEM.  My phone didn't pick up too much difference on the db scale but to my ears they sound better.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 am

@Dilliw - How did those horns work out for you? Were they just a direct plug n' play with the existing wires?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am

Mine are ordinary snail style and are in the stock position hidden by the wings.

Wing off

Close up

Reverse view

I used a slightly longer bolt and added a spacer to get the correct standoff on this side.
The other side bolted up without any change. Stock wiring and connectors.
Horns were on sale at Harbor Freight. $10 for the pair and included a relay (unused) and the flat brackets.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:39 am

guzziownr wrote:
Mine are ordinary snail style and are in the stock position hidden by the wings.

I used a slightly longer bolt and added a spacer to get the correct standoff on this side.
The other side bolted up without any change. Stock wiring and connectors.
Horns were on sale at Harbor Freight. $10 for the pair and included a relay (unused) and the flat brackets.

Those look pretty good...hows the sound on them? Noticeably louder? Do you have the HF part #?
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Dilliw and Guzziownr, did you use a relay to the horns? When I put on aftermarket horns I run through a relay, I think that puts more juice to them to make them louder, then again I don't know crap about electrics, but that is what I think is right.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 am

I assumed the stock horns were on a relay. I haven't blown any fuses even with "NYC use". I have FIAAMs on the Eldo and these are just as loud. I have stock pipes so I have to save lives with my horn as necessary.

Now reduced! $8.99

Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm

@guzziownr- thanks for posting up the ad. For that price and $7.00 to ship, I pulled the trigger. Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt here.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:34 am

O.K big spender, Enjoy your horns. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:04 pm

can you post the install process when you work on it?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 am

Replaced my horns again with yet something better. Had to have the open end of the horn up so they would fit. It's a tight fit but not embarrassing when you hit the horn button anymore. Actually replaced them last Fall and meant to post this before now. Had the wings off the other day which reminded me.
In case anyone is interested.......

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:01 am

Thankfully, the general consensus of the medical community is that root girth is NOT dependent upon the tootle of a horn.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:11 am

Here you can even honk: Shocked

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:11 pm

iHonk

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: replacement horns?   replacement horns? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

replacement horns?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2