GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Drain and Refill Front Forks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lenz9753
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Lenz9753

Drain and Refill Front Forks Empty
PostSubject: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 pm

So I've read the manual and run searches on this topic - still lookin for the easy way.

The manual describes a labour-intensive removal and disassembly of the forks just to fully drain and refill each leg. Regardless of how attractive the prospect is to spend days on the job and cursing the lack of special tool "Z25C", I was hoping for an easier, quicker method.

Is it possible to just unscrew the adjuster assembly low on the fork legs and pump out the fork fluid ( front brake on and repeated fork compressions) ?

For the refill, is it possible to unscrew the main fork leg cap (with the legs in situ), slowly bring weight onto the front wheel which then pushes the suspension mechanics out the top and then pour the new fork oil into whatever open space is available at the open, top end ?

The specs recommend 520cc / leg. What's the general experience - reload the full 520cc or just refill the same volume that was drained / expelled from each leg ?

I'm quite happy to admit several libraries could be filled with what I DON'T know about the GRiSO. To paraphrase Mr Dylan : " Only a fool would try to hide what he don't know to begin with .... "
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 pm

It's very easy to disassemble the forks. Just buy a generic tool off the bay of fleas and use a couple of ratchet straps to compress the spring.

Pete

PS. I'm running about 470ml of 5wt.
Back to top Go down
Lenz9753
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Lenz9753

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:06 am

Pete Roper wrote:
It's very easy to disassemble the forks. Just buy a generic tool off the bay of fleas and use a couple of ratchet straps to compress the spring.

Pete

PS. I'm running about 470ml of 5wt.

But Dad, I don't wanna do my homework ...... surely an alternative to a full fork disassembly exists just to drain and refill the forks ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:27 am

Well, yes. You can buy a magic wand. This is a stick about a foot long with white ends. You can the. Tap the tops of the forks and say 'Abracadabra' and everything will be lovely.

Modern forks are much better than old forks.

This requires a level of sophistication.

This means that to do the job properly is a bit more work.

The End!

Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:40 am

The tools required for this job are fairly simple. The seal replacement tool needs to be made, any competetent machinist will fix that, or you could buy one, I made my own and Im 3 parts neanderthal. It pays to replace the seals every time you change the oil. If you want I can send you drawings of all the tools required.
Back to top Go down
Lenz9753
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Lenz9753

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:21 am

Charlie J wrote:
The tools required for this job are fairly simple. The seal replacement tool needs to be made, any competetent machinist will fix that, or you could buy one, I made my own and Im 3 parts neanderthal. It pays to replace the seals every time you change the oil. If you want I can send you drawings of all the tools required.

Thanks Charlie - I've sent you a PM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drain and Refill Front Forks   Drain and Refill Front Forks Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Drain and Refill Front Forks
Page 1 of 1