GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tank bulge...cracks paint

Go down 
+15
tennisguy7
Dilliw
danketchpel
Steveo
Bill Hagan
Yamatr3
ronbo10
jeremyb
keenerkeen07
dskustoms
JohnA
Grisonut
Siggy Javotnik
king Rich
CPB
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

Tank bulge...cracks paint Empty
PostSubject: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:24 am

My 2014 GRiSO with 2000 miles on it has a 1" crack in the paint on the side of the tank. Took it in for service and their belief is the ethanol in the fuel caused the plastic tank to expand and crack the paint. They are checking with MG to see if they'll send a replacement.

Anyone else with this experience?

Sad
Back to top Go down
king Rich
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
king Rich

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:34 am

got a 2013 with numerous flaws/bulges. all I have heard is yes its the ethanol. mine is not under warranty, but the paint did not crack yet. really sucks.
Back to top Go down
Siggy Javotnik
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Siggy Javotnik

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:55 pm

There's an app called "Pure Gas" that will show on a map where you can get non-ethanol gas, relative to your location. With winter and more bike storage coming up, it's even more important to avoid ethanol gas sitting in your tank. I'm a lazy bastard though, so I find I'm only putting the non-ethanol fuel in every third tank or so, or when I know the bike will be sitting a while. You get slightly better mileage with the non-ethanol, which pretty much makes up for the extra cost.

Won't help with the tank bulging, but Moto International offers a metal fuel filter to avoid getting stranded when your plastic one shits the bed, here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With install for a Stelvio here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not a bad winter project, I guess. I did it on the Stelvio, and the stock plastic filter looked OK at ~9,000 miles. But there are a few reports of people being stranded when the stock piece fails. There's ethanol in the fuel in Europe, so I've got no idea why the reports come pretty much exclusively from the US. Maybe our ethanol is different or more corrosive than theirs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oberlaw.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Yeah but ethanol free gas is 87 octane mostly here in FL.
Had a station I went to with 90 octane no ethanol but they dropped it to 87 so I'm not running that...
I rather stay with the 93 octane with etyhanol...
Fucking Government.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm

CPB,
I have a 2014 that the tank striping has bubbled and slightly pulled away from the paint on one side. I was told it's ethanol gas and I believe it. Its under warranty but I was told not for something like this. I wrote to Guzzi USA in NY and never got a reply of any type. It's very disapointing but not a big issue yet. I live in Houston and there is no place to get ethanol free gas anywhere close. There is a racing fuel store (not gas station) that sells 5 gallon containers for $40. I spoke to another guzzi owner that has a few bikes with plastic tanks (older bikes) and he told me he's had no issues. Our tanks are supposed to be lined with some coating to prevent this but I was also told they don't use the top of the line coating (this came from my dealer in Houston - MPH Cycles).
Back to top Go down
Siggy Javotnik
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Siggy Javotnik

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Maybe this will help find a non-ethanol station near you -- they usually list the octane as well: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.oberlaw.com
dskustoms
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
dskustoms

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:30 pm

My tank has a bunch of small bumps and has a few bulges my is also still under warranty. My shop guy also said it was the ethanol. From what he has found out when the pump say it has 10% that means that it has to have a minimum of the percentage stated but it can be much higher. Theres a push right now to make it 15% that wont be good for the older vehicles. Hopefully they will replace my tank i have been watching it and have sent some pictures he would like to see it get a lil worse before we try to get another tank. My stock exhaust is now making a noise like theres a broken baffle or plate that rattles in the muffler. Sucks
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 am

DO NOT USE ETHANOL FUEL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE..

It will fuck up your tank for sure.GRiSO tanks are made of the same material as Ducati uses, a nylon based polymer..
Just ask any Ducati Multistrada owner in the USA especially those in California where ethanol is abundant and of higher quantity.
Ducati has replaced hundreds of tanks because of stretching /swelling, leaking around the fuel pump flange..There is even an aftermarket fuel tank available from CA Cycleworks to help remedy the situation made of different material..
Ethanol has affected not only Ducati but many other mfg as well, in the Mutistrada it was more apparent because of the size and shape of the tank..

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:33 am

I've posted before about coating the inside of my tank with Caswell Epoxy. Its on this site somewhere.
It's a common fix with the Ducati crowd (my pre-GRiSO ride was a GT1000), as the Ethanol gas here in the US softens those Acerbis-made Ducati tanks.
It's a good Winter project, as its a good idea to 'dry out' the tank for a while first.

I'm kinda surprised the the paint is cracking: I accidentally plugged the tank vent hole near the filler, and my tank imploded with a baseball-sized hollow due to the overnight vacuum.
It popped right-out, with no visible marks. I thought these tanks were moulded colored plastic, not paint ??
The hole I plugged is at the top, between the threaded inserts:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is under some kind of one-way flapper valve arrangement under the raised bit in this photo.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(these photos are all of a US-market 1100, so other bikes may be different).
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks for all the replies. Have heard the same situation with the Multistrada's tank. Ducati does seem to replace them. Not sure that MG will?
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:53 pm

I was an OP on this very subject, posted some pics of the gas tank bubbling on the right side. Brought it in to FBF who submitted a warranty claim for me, and they had the new tank on it as of last week, just haven't been able to break away to pick the bike up yet. Who's to say though that the same won't recur in the future. It seems to me that MG, Ducati, et al that use this nylon polymer product for their gas tanks need to come up with a material that works in all of their markets.

For what it's worth, the gal that handled the claim told me that when the tank material starts to break down on the inside (which is what's causing the bubbling on the outside) it can release particulates into the fuel, potentially clogging the fuel injectors etc and any number of associated problems. FBF have been a MG and Ducati dealer for pretty much ever, so I'm guessing they know what they're talking about here.  

Still, it doesn't seem to be a problem that every GRiSO owner has had to deal with, and hopefully I'll get better service out of this new tank (i.e. a tank that lasts the life of the rest of the bike).

Good luck to you, CPB, and all of you that have this issue. Hopefully my experience with the warranty claim will prove to be representative of what all of you with this issue can expect. Once out of warranty though, all bets are off, I imagine.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:29 am

Siggy Javotnik wrote:
Maybe this will help find a non-ethanol station near you -- they usually list the octane as well: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Problem with this site is that it takes forever to be updated...More than half of the ethanol free stations listed in my area are either no longer there or not E-free anymore.
Back to top Go down
Yamatr3
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Yamatr3

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 am

I only use REC 90 gas In my Guzzi. I go to the station and fill up my gas jugs and manually fill my bikes after a ride. If I'm on a long ride and have to get ethanol gas, I remove it when I get home and put it in the car then refill with REC 90. Better to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 am

Yamatr3 wrote:
I only use REC 90 gas In my Guzzi.  I go to the station and fill up my gas jugs and manually fill my bikes after a ride.  If I'm on a long ride and have to get ethanol gas, I remove it when I get home and put it in the car then refill with REC 90.  Better to be safe than sorry.  

When I tour in the USA ...its usually for 10 to 20 days , most of the time all that is available is blended ethanol fuel especially in California ..for that period of time with the fuel running though the bike I am not too worried , when I find real gas I top up and go .
Ethanol does its worst damage long term , it takes awhile to effect the tank ..I would never store the bike with ethanol fuel in it.
When I get home I run Premium non ethanol fuel available here in abundance and I have not had a problem yet .
If I lived in the USA .. I would get my tank Caswell coated it seems to have helped many Ducati riders..
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 am

Heard from the dealer yesterday, MG is denying my claim. Even though pics and description were given, MG said it looks like an impact from the outside.

Dealer is going to try again, but no promises.

So for now, FU MG. GRiSO will be my one and only MG purchase.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:32 am

Condolences and commiseration.

The "dimples" on my GRiSO's tank have disappeared, and I use Stabl.

I am fond enough of my GRiSO that, despite the tappet tempest, I would throw even more money into it if necessary.

WRT this issue, have seen that some other Guzzi models have had metal tanks fabricated.  IIRC, co$t was in the <1K USD area.  I'd consider paying something in that area for a metal tank for my GRiSO.

But, that does't do much for you just now.  Rage away; you're entitled to rant a bit.  Your dealer's persistence is encouraging, and I hope that it pays off.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Steveo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Steveo

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:58 pm

CPB wrote:
Heard from the dealer yesterday, MG is denying my claim.  Even though pics and description were given, MG said it looks like an impact from the outside.

Dealer is going to try again, but no promises.  

So for now, FU MG.  GRiSO will be my one and only MG purchase.  

I would ask your dealer to take pics with a straight edge over the top of the bulge - then ask MG how an impact from the out side can cause the plastic to push out.

The problem is caused by the Nylon of the tank absorbing water and swelling, generally the water is present because Ethanol attracts water and "bonds' with it (can't remember the technical term). If the ethanol fuel is left to sit the water will separate out and that's when the problems can start.
If you drain the tank and leave it for long enough the swellings should go away. All this is too late for your paintwork unfortunately

Steve
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:57 pm

A happy resolution to the cracked paint on the tank. My local dealer just returned the bike to me with a new tank!

After the first denial from MG, I basically let it go. Applied no pressure. To their credit, my service department said they would continue to press MG on this issue. Took a few months, but I now have a new tank!

Thank you Razee Motorcycle Center. You guys really take care of your customers! cheers
Back to top Go down
danketchpel
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
danketchpel

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:07 pm

jeremyb wrote:
I've posted before about coating the inside of my tank with Caswell Epoxy. Its on this site somewhere.
It's a common fix with the Ducati crowd (my pre-GRiSO ride was a GT1000), as the Ethanol gas here in the US softens those Acerbis-made Ducati tanks.
I'd second the Caswell coating. My '09 Ducati Sport Classic had the tank replaced by Ducati and the second tank was Caswell Coated and there has been no further problems. It's still good today, no swelling.

So far I haven't had any problems with the plastic tank on my '13 Stelvio, knock on plastic......
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:19 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Condolences and commiseration.

The "dimples" on my GRiSO's tank have disappeared, and I use Stabl.

Bill

This is interesting Bill. After using Stabl your dimples actually went away? I have 2 dimples on there now, and the gas that came with the bike was obviously old. I've replaced with some alcohol free since I don't know how long it is going to be in the shop. Maybe my acne will will clear up too!

Back to top Go down
tennisguy7
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
tennisguy7

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi , I have a 2015 GRiSO , has a paint crack on right side, I wondering if the replacement tank that CPB got is holding up , are you using a fuel additive now to avoid a 2nd problem????
-
I can probably get mine changed under warranty, but if same material and no solution , it's kinda like kicking can a year down the road ....
Back to top Go down
tennisguy7
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
tennisguy7

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Tried to private message PM , CPB ,
No response , not sure how this site works yet .
-
Anyway , My day job is auto technician
-
I love my GRiSO
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am

"Hi , I have a 2015 GRiSO , has a paint crack on right side, I wondering if the replacement tank that CPB got is holding up , are you using a fuel additive now to avoid a 2nd problem????
-
I can probably get mine changed under warranty, but if same material and no solution , it's kinda like kicking can a year down the road ...."

Tennisguy7,
I posted a couple of replies on this subject on this site going back to 2015. If you can get a replacement tank, do it! Then, I would strongly recommend coating it with Caswell tank epoxy before putting the new on, unless, you can run NON ethanol gas in it. The ethanol absorbs water into the substrate of the tank over time. You can read a lot about this on the internet and many ducati's and other bikes have experienced the same issue. I have a 2014 GRiSO and was able to find a wrecked bike with a good tank and I coated it myself and that's that I'm using today. I did move to the GA coast early this year and can get 89 octane gas without ethanol. Let me know if you want to discuss and I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 am

I too have a 'bulge' on the side of the tank of my 2009 GRiSO. I was told due to fuel vapours leaking through the plastic and getting under the paint. From reading this topic, if I bring it to a dealer there is the possibility MG will replace my tank under warranty?
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am

MG replaced the tank on my Norge under warranty earlier in the year. Mine was a '14 but the warranty was only activated in November 2016.

it only had 150 miles on it at the time but had been sitting for 2 years or more at a dealer up north and all ethanol up there. The left fairing was displaced and was almost impossible to get it back on after I took it off to find the TomTom cable. That and a few other things is why I got it so cheap - all fixed now.

The dealer down here said they would replace it because MG had quite a few spare Norge tanks in my color. Sounded like it was discretionary though so good luck. When I told the dealer I bought it from, they were surprised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank bulge...cracks paint   Tank bulge...cracks paint Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tank bulge...cracks paint
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next