GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Roller conversions

Go down 
+32
Steak
GuZeee
wardest
paulbrice
Grisodude
Oz1200Guzzi
petarzil
Yodasoldier
boxerscott
Belfastguzzi
Lemppari
Trogladyte
Canyon Carver
cbxtc6
Tango2
89millegt
MVH053
sidrat
Blue
WCB
Omnis
waterbottle
MrBob
mark111
beetle
Pete Roper
Daves-i-Know
Guzzi Cat
Conor W
Converted Duc
little750
rboe
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Roller conversions - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Did they drop the sump for a clean out? If not it's worth it.

As I've said before I've had three bikes have bottom end failures after rollerising, mine, Ralf's and Mark III's. Why these and no others I don't know but I have my suspicions and photo's that would back them up.

The thing is though the attrition rate isn't high so I think you can say with a reasonable level of confidence that once fixed they stay fixed! I'm certainly not fretting about my 108,000km Stelvio that must have had at least two sets of flats go udders skywards in it in its life! Also, having just undertaken what amounts to a virtual complete strip of Wyno's 100,000 Km GRiSO it is very satisfying to see exactly how good everything is inside a high mileage roller motor. Once it's all back together I'll write a synopsis of what we've done and what we found.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Hmm that's a good question, not sue will check with the workshop who did the job. if not guess its not a massive job to do. As you can see from the pic there was a lot of wear on one of the tappets it was slightly dished, guess that metal is somewhere! didn't get to see the condition of the right hand side tappets but presume they would of been the same. Also now it's a roller, probably time to invest in a Beetle map!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 am

Dropping the sump is a matter of undoing 14 bolts around the perimeter and four up in the well where the filter lives. Get a new sump gasket before you do it in case the old one rips.

The shit that comes off the tappets is barely bigger than microscopic. Don't bother looking for it, just give the sump a really good wash out with kerosene/paraffin, check the strainer's for crud and reattach the sump. Put on new, pre-filled, filter, add oil, go!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Filter, gasket and oil ordered! They didn't do it so ill be doing it friday. Thanks Pete...again! Smile
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Ordered 2 Kit C, expected delivery in 15-20 days!

We are doing parallel rolletarisation, GRiSO and Sport1200.

I guess Pete would recomends me as "Persona non Grata" in Australia for the questions that folow in his inbox Smile
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I think Pete (I hope) would welcome questions asked before things go to shit, rather than assisting to pull you out of shit of your own making. He just wants the best for the bikes we ride (well CARC Guzzis mostly) despite the ignorance of the powers that be in Piaggio.

Reminds me of what happened when BMW first brought out their oil heads - problems galore. Despite the efforts of many of the dealers in rectifying these faults, at their own expense, they all got shafted by BMW and had the dealerships taken from them. Not because they went out of guidelines, but because they were all mechanically minded and got the job done, showrooms were grungy. The problem was, BMW wanted big shiny showrooms with salesmen in suits. Heard that before, I think.

Pete was doing such a good job of keeping the brand up and running, they (the new importers) took the service centre from him. Bah, suits!

By the way, I have 4 suits, some of which get exhibited for select occasions - usually job interviews and funerals.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Not quite Tony, I bailed out. John at Motocicolo had some PS sales droid in a couple of weeks ago and was saying I was still on board! Laugh? A bit of wee came out!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm

petarzil wrote:
Ordered 2 Kit C, expected delivery in 15-20 days!

We are doing parallel rolletarisation, GRiSO and Sport1200.

I guess Pete would recomends me as "Persona non Grata" in Australia for the questions that folow in his inbox Smile

Not at all, as Tony sez I'd far prefer to help get it done right than have to try and fix a fuck-up from half a world away. Probably the hardest part for you blokes will be removing the valve springs as you do need a much smaller than *Usual* valve spring compressor. DON'T loose the collets! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Sorry Pete, I misunderstood your situation. Are you in fact looking to pull the pin forever? What is on your horizon, apart from you and Jude travelling widely?
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Probably the hardest part for you blokes will be removing the valve springs as you do need a much smaller than *Usual* valve spring compressor. DON'T loose the collets! Very Happy

Pete

We do have a friend, a mechanic guy which has universal service (cars and bikes), so we can use all the tools. If he doesn't have that valve spring compressor, we'll have to figure it out.

I've allready read the link you sent me from wildguzzi, a bit mixed up topic, but i believe i can get the most of it. Bad thing is, i have to translate and rephrase it Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

As long as my hands hold up, (My arthritis has really kicked off in the last year.) I'll be around for a few more years but I wasn't going to sign up with PS. They have a long history of screwing people over and being spectacularly useless and venal. Not my MO, I want nothing to do with them! I've just gone back to being freelance. Funny thing is I'm busier than ever!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:55 pm

+1 on Tony's Thumbs Up

Harry
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:23 am

General purpose compressor seemed fine (in red box behind head and has various options) - got mine free from mate going ex-pat to dubai but he paid buttons. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 am

Drained the oil, Dropped the sump and cleaned it out, lots of little shiny bits! Cleaned the strainers. Replaced with new gasket & filter. Hopefully that's it ,Bike is running lovely since rollerisation only fault is that there is no warm up rise in rpm from cold starts, but starts fine and idles fine. Guess my next job is investigating the stepper motor? :/
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm

KIT A Vs KIT B

For those in the know.
Why is the KIT A so much dearer than the KIT B.
I have been looking at the pics of the kits on TLM and can't see a huge difference in what is delivered

I suspect I can't get around paying the cash as I have a 2012 engine with the floating rocker covers, more curious to know the difference or if I can get around the additional cost....

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am

Not really. I have no idea why the costs are so different, it's not as if there is a tremendous difference in the machining costs. I think it's just weirdness in pricing policy by the factory.

You can use a 'B' kit but you'll need earlier rocker covers and long plug tubes to achieve it.

Buy the 'A' kit through me and I'll knock another $20 off for you. Shipping will still be the same.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 am

I ordered the C Kit on my own dime, and I am ready to put it into the 2009 GRiSO that I recently purchased (less than 7,000 miles on it). I am going to do the work myself, and I am really looking forward to it -- I'll probably start this weekend.

I'll post pics, including condition of the old flat tappets. (I'm hoping to see just enough wear to know this was worth doing, but not enough to suggest any engine damage Smile )

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Good luck - don't forget you have a global team all behind you at every stage, so ping us all with any issues you encounter !
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Good luck - don't forget you have a global team all behind you at every stage, so ping us all with any issues you encounter !

Thanks so much, that's great to know!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:00 am

I have another thread on this too: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So far it's going well: I've got the old cambox out of the left side, and am ready to remove the head.

Here are pics of the flat tappets. Looks like just what I was hoping for: the wear has just started but doesn't look like too much damage has been done.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:33 am

Moved to GRiSOlogy as the topic is more geared towards wrenching than riding...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Hey GuZee, I see from the photos of the tappets and cam you made a wise decision to strip them out when you did Thumbs Up

Otherwise they do chew themselves up pretty quick when they get started, good intervention. cheers
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Hey GuZee, I see from the photos of the tappets and cam you made a wise decision to strip them out when you did Thumbs Up

Otherwise they do chew themselves up pretty quick when they get started, good intervention. cheers

Yay! Logically I should hope for ZERO wear for minimum crap in the engine, but it is nice to see the reason I am going through all of this effort and expense Smile
Back to top Go down
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 am

Just bought a brand new 2017. Should I get this roller conversion done?

Mike (MPH) is quite close to me. I think he can still get parts from MG under warranty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roller conversions   Roller conversions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Roller conversions
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next