GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Pic of my shot tappets

Go down 
+12
Guzzi Cat
Converted Duc
Oz1200Guzzi
pokeyjoe
Grisonut
Tolle09
Blue
John Lyon
beetle
Pete Roper
waterbottle
LBC Tenni
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 am

Received an update that parts will take another 1-2 weeks to come in, and no response yet from Piaggio regarding the labor.

Very happy with the professionalism of this shop thus far.
Back to top Go down
Belfastguzzi
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Belfastguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Piaggio in UK has told me that labour is NOT covered. IF a claim is accepted and the kit is supplied, everything else has to be paid by owner: labour, oil pump (which you probably don't need as there not so much metal removed) oil, filter, transport, anything else. They say this is at the insistence of the factory, not Piaggio, so it therefore must be the universal situation, whichever country you live in.
Back to top Go down
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Belfastguzzi wrote:
Piaggio in UK has told me that labour is NOT covered. IF a claim is accepted and the kit is supplied, everything else has to be paid by owner: labour, oil pump (which you probably don't need as there not so much metal removed) oil, filter, transport, anything else. They say this is at the insistence of the  factory, not Piaggio, so it therefore must be the universal situation, whichever country you live in.

I agree - not expecting labor (or labour) to be covered.  LBC may have simply won the tappet lottery...
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:23 am

I went into Thousand Oaks fully expecting that I'd have to pay the labor. I just assumed and didn't even ask. But later when I talked to Alex, he said he was trying to get the labor covered too. I was shocked that he got it done. They are fantastic. I recall two others posting on this forum saying they had labor covered too, so it's not just me. I can't remember who, but if I'm not mistaken, one of them was in the UK. Finding a dealer with staff who care and want you to come back in the future makes all the difference. I don't think the fact that I had filed a complaint with the feds had anything to do with it either. If anyone was aware of it, they didn't mention it to me, and I didn't bring it up either. T.O. is a hard working bunch who wants you to be a repeat customer and they know what it takes. Having said all that, convincing Piaggio to cover labor for your C kit may be a tall order, but I have no doubt Alex is fighting the fight. As for Piaggio's lack of uniformity on the matter? It can't be a surprise when you consider how they got themselves into the mess in the first place. Just plain bush-league business the whole sordid affair.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 am

Over here there is no chance. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.
Back to top Go down
Belfastguzzi
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Belfastguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:43 pm

(Relative) congratulations (in the circumstances) and well done, LBC. It's great you got some help. There does appear to be a degree of inconsistency in the system and a great deal of uncertainty among customers, which is why I asked a similar question in the 'Anyone living outside the dealer network? Anyone had joy dealing with factory in Italy?' topic here. Piaggio UK is 'very certain' about how things should be done, but they have also been very certainly wrong in the years from 2008 to 2016 and have changed their opinion and the rule-book during that time. So yes, it's a bit of a lottery indeed.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:01 pm

The simple truth is they will do anything they can get away with to wriggle out of doing the right thing. In the US because of its far more litigious nature it seems that they may, on a case by case basis, be backing down if people make enough noise. Over here and I'd think certainly in the UK where the importer seems actively disinterested in doing not just the right thing but anything at all there is little chance of getting it covered.

Also, just for the record, the factory time allotted is barely adequate for their very basic swap. Doing the job properly will take longer. Anyone who did manage to get the labour component covered who bought the bike to my shop and refused to pay the extra for what I deem neccessary would be signing a release form stating that I had told them the work was inadequate and I couldn't offer any sort of gaurantee on the work performed. I'm not willing to take it up the arse from Piaggio and then line up for sloppy seconds from a customer. Sorry, ain't happenin'!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:35 am

We can only go for the seller here not the manufacturer.

Not fit for the purpose for which it is commonly supplied and not free from defects.

I'd be breaking the dbac rule with someone I've known and respected for a long time if I go the seller.

and to think I owned a 650 lario. Same shit different shovel.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:59 am

Not Quite. The poor engineering of the Lario top end was another kettle of bananas!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:44 am

Yes true. They were bananas.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 pm

The 8V roller mill is a score, period.
And matted to a GRiSO it's pure sex.
Back to top Go down
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 pm

I just learned my c kit has been installed and the bike is ready to pick up.  A new map was installed so will see how THAT feels (vs. Beetles, which I had before).

Anyway, I did not win the tappet labor lottery like LBC, but parts were covered as expected.  At least I know the shop made some money, which is not a bad thing...
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Good John! I was lucky mine was a B kit, much less work. May your GRiSO have a long and worry-free life!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Pity they uploaded the shitty -03 map. Now you'll have to reload the roller map.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:53 pm

great way to do a back-to-back comparison of what was and what is state of the art though.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 am

I still need to get the roller map on my bike as I have the flaty with with Mistral at the moment...Cold starts are a biatch but once the engine warms up, it's so much better than the factory map already.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

I ran mine with the roller Zard map before rollerisation. Also much better than factory map.
Back to top Go down
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:07 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
Good John! I was lucky mine was a B kit, much less work. May your GRiSO have a long and worry-free life!

Thanks and oh yes, I forgot.  Your only needing a b kit probably was part of the equation...
Back to top Go down
John Lyon
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
John Lyon

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:07 am

Well the bike runs great.  Engine sounds are about the same as far as I can tell, the most prevalent still being the high-pitched whine, but maybe the exhaust has a bit more bark?

Total cost was $1,189, which included the initial inspection and a normal maintenance.  The parts cost for the c kit would have been $1,400, I was told.

I met a guy at the shop who, after a 20 year hiatus from motorcycling, was buying a new GRiSO!  Told him good choice. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pic of my shot tappets   Pic of my shot tappets - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Pic of my shot tappets
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3