GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Another UK member!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Everyone, I’m Andy in Lytham St. Annes in the UK. Thanks for adding me to the group.

I’m a life-long motorcyclist, and returned to Guzzis in 2012 after spending 10 years with Harleys. I’ve tried four cylinder bikes, but always prefer a twin and had some good times with American V twins, but without spending lots of money on them to make them perform properly they are a bit insipid. My last Harley got upto 58k miles and things started failing to regularly head gaskets, starter (4th one, big bore motors wear them out quickly) alternators.... A full rebuild was needed. I happened on a review of the GRiSO in the Sunday Times and it sparked my imagination and curiosity. Very original.
I found the nearest dealer, and in March 2012 became the owner of a Tenni 8v at a great price because the dealer wanted to get a Black Devil in the showroom.
After almost two years I’ve clocked up just over 11k miles and still love it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here’s a few things I’ve learned.
• When it was new I could only get 110 miles out of a full tank before the warning light came on. Around the 6000 miles mark the engine relaxed and on a run the light comes on around 120 -125 miles. I’ve ridden on reserve upto 145 miles so that is OK with me.
• The engine is a Jekyll and Hyde – Fine low down, but once you get up to the upper rev range it really flies! Best not to look at the consumption while doing this. In fact don’t look at anything apart from where you are going.
• The bike prefers to cruise at 90mph which is a bit of a problem when the upper speed limit is 70mph.
• The front brake can be difficult at low speed, locking up far too easily. It’s fine at anything over 30mph, but be very wary of grabbing too much at low speed. ABS would be welcome.
• After the 6000 mile service the dealer changed the plugs and developed a misfire. The standard plug leads are delicate, albeit expensive items that seal themselves into the well with a vacuum, and pulling them out breaks the internal insulation. The dealer replaced the standard items (was it £90 for a set?) but I’ve made a replacement with NJK caps.
I’m almost out of warranty now so may replace the bulky silencer – anybody have any recommendations for a re[placement that won’t require a Power Commander to be installed?  I’m happy with the performance so would like something that does not effect the running of the bike.

Cheers,

Andy
Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Andy

Thanks for that. I can't see you photos unfortunately - just a blank screen comes up when I click on the link.

Does yours have the new roller cams? Any of the GRiSO 'start relay' problems?

Cheers

Vince
Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Vince

Struggling to get an photo up here. When I try to "Host an image it doesn't accept the upload, and inserting the image requires a url address? any help appreciated!

No issues with the starter relay or the cams. I think the factory had corrected that by 2011, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the starter relay.

Andy
Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi Andy

I use Photobucket, but I'm sure many other photo-hosting sites are available. I usually reduce the size of the picture to around 1000 x 800 pixels using Irfanview (free) before uploading the pic to the hosting site. Then once the pic is on the site, there is a URL you can use to directly display it in your message.

I'd love to know why my bike often blew fuse 'B' on starting after standing for a while, while yours apparently doesn't. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems fuse 'B' should blow, as it's carrying the current to energise the starter relay (via some thin wiring in the keyswitch) as well as powering other stuff. The mod is well documented and easy to do should you have problems in future. I'd do it anyway, as I'm sure the keyswitch isn't designed to take starter relay current! Hence my amazement at MG designing it that way.

So far (touch wood!) my standard pug caps seem OK as there's no evidence of mis-firing. But I expect at some stage I'll upgrade to NGK.

Cheers

Vince
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Karman wrote:
Hi Vince

Struggling to get an photo up here. When I try to "Host an image it doesn't accept the upload, and inserting the image requires a url address? any help appreciated!  

No issues with the starter relay or the cams. I think the factory had corrected that by 2011, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the starter relay.

Andy

"Host an Image" will work.  Just browse to the image on your computer and submit.  Afterwards several linking options will return from serveimg.com, copy the image url line.  Next, select the "insert an image" button and paste the image url into the top line, disregard the image height and width parameters.  Voila, your image is now in your post.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Last edited by Steak on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Starter circuit  That is strange. Is yours 20011/12? is it possible they introduced a mod before mine was released?

I do have a redundant photobucket account, I'll see if I can revive it and get the pix up.

Andy
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Karman wrote:

I’m almost out of warranty now so may replace the bulky silencer – anybody have any recommendations for a re[placement that won’t require a Power Commander to be installed?  I’m happy with the performance so would like something that does not effect the running of the bike.

Cheers,

Andy

Forgot to say welcome to the ghetto!

The Termignoni, Zard, Mistral etc. all work well without the need for mapping mods as long as you retain the dB killer. Removing the dB killer causes the 8V motor to run like shite. This can't be fixed via mapping changes either. For another option, a special run from the Arrow Special Parts unit was commissioned by the Italian GRiSO guys. It was designed specifically to run without altering the stock map. Meets all current Euro 3 emissions/sound requirement. Looks great and sounds great. The only vendor is GRS in Perugia, Italy. At 379 €, it's something of a bargain as well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:43 am

The Arrow exhaust certainly looks much more streamlined than the original monster, and sounds nice too.

I think I now have everything in place to post a picture. Here goes:

Andy
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:57 am

Ahhhh, the triple-g. The gorgeous green GRiSO. Looks great out in the sunshine! I've used the Ventura luggage on my old 1100. I still have it, good stuff.

Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:10 am

Ah, very nice. I see you use yours for serious travelling!
Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:20 am

I've had a couple of trips over to Spain and generally it is comfortable. There is a lot to be said for the Harley riding position with the alternative forward pegs for stretching the legs on long runs. But I had forgotten how nice it was not to have to concentrate on getting through bends without overshooting, so on balance the GRiSO wins out.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:25 am

That Arrow muffler looks and sounds great.
The hugger looks very good too!!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 am

That Arrow can is great bargain too at roughly $520 shipped (current exchange).  That's less that half the cost of the Termi and a lot less than the offerings from Zard, Agostini etc.

Here's a link to the brochure our Italian friends made up.

And here's the homologation certificate if emissions are an issue for you.

Enzo at GRS was great to deal with too, very helpful.  I did my best google/bing Italian with him, which worked great, but he does manage well enough with English if need be.

It is available in either polished or satin stainless steel, just make sure you order the one you want.

afro

Back to top Go down
TonyG
Carlotto
Carlotto
TonyG

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Andy,

Welcome from the Chilterns.

I've done a couple of hundred miles in a day so far, was reasonably comfortable apart from getting a pain in the neck, but I get that from most bikes, though strangely not if the bike has clip ons. I did think it might be the mini screen not working for me, but really I probably just need to get out on it more and get used to it.

Tony
Back to top Go down

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Tony

There's a lot to be said for riding in warmer climes, I don't seem to get so stiff when it's hot/warm. Or maybe it's an age thing (ooooeeer missus). I definitely feel the cold more now.

Helmet weight plays a big part for me. I had a Roof helmet that was nice and light but noisy. I didn't realise how noisy until I did a run from Dreux back home in a day. My ears were ringing for a couple of days afterwards, and once damaged they stay damaged. I started wearing ear plugs after that, and changed to a Schuberth C something, another flip front. It was great and quiet, good in the cold and damp but heavy so I now prefer to use a Duchini polycarb full face because it's light and saves the pain in the neck and has bluetooth built in. I would never have believed that I would enjoy listening the music while riding, but once tried it's hard to resist.
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:40 am

Hi Karman
Welcome, and i love the green, and good to see your loading it up as well.
They can tour no issues, some complain about the tank size.
But just plan ahead and all is good.
I have the Barkbuster S7 handguards on my 1100,great but I find my hands are a bit hot in summer.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another UK member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another UK member!   Another UK member! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Another UK member!
Page 1 of 1