GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Service/Oil Light Question.

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
Primitial
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

Service/Oil Light Question. Empty
PostSubject: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:43 am

This is my first bike so bear with me here Razz

In the morning or the first start of the day when I turn the key the oil light/service is on, It persists after I start the bike. If I turn it off and back on it goes away immediately. Also if I turn the key on and start the bike while the instruments are still moving the light never comes on at all. Is something off or is this normal? Seeing the service light just because I didn't immediately start the bike when turning they key is pretty annoying.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 am

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by 'Service' light? Do you mean there is a message saying 'Service' appearing at the bottom of the dash screen? If so you may have a serious problem. Do you know how to access the OBD codes?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:37 am

The word Service on the dash does show in the first scenario where the only thing I've done is turn the key on. I don't know anything about the codes.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:47 am

OK, go into the menu and scroll to 'diagnostics'. Enter the service code, 12425, and scroll to first ECU errors and see if any are active. Then retreat and go to Dashboard errors and see if any of those are active or stored. Note them if they are and get back to us.

I'm currently thinking this is probably just a dodgy oil pressure switch, (They are notorious!) but it's important to be sure as if you do have a real oil pressure problem it will be damaging the engine.

What year model is your bike again?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:59 am

It's a 2013 1200 8V SE. I will follow the steps when I get home from work and see what happens. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 am

Obviously "what Pete said," but, FWIW, I get same symptoms on my Norge, all related to my crank-position sensor.  Working on that now.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 pm

No Dashboard or ECU errors, Active or Stored. Makes me feel a little better I guess.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Generally the oil pressure sensor - notorious for it. Getting a new one doesn't always solve the problem. The real problem is the electrical connection on top of it - sometimes it doesn't conduct real well and brings up that error. Mine did it today - again. Careful movement of the lead with a screwdriver enabled the problem to go away - well for now anyway.
Back to top Go down
ozoceanview
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
ozoceanview

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 pm

" Careful movement of the lead with a screwdriver enabled the problem to go away - well for now anyway."
can you tell me or show me where this is exactly? I have had the light intermittently coming on, but stopping and restarting often makes it go away, so I am assuming it is a sensor. (I had it at the dealer but of course they couldn't reproduce the problem)
Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 am

The oil pressure sensor location is shown below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You may have the 'Top Hat' type sensor shown in the photo (now discontinued, I think).

This is notoriously poor for connecting to a spade.

If yours is like this you may be able to move the spade connector around to make a better connection, but you could replace it with the newer spade type, which has the proper connector.

If you already have a spade type sensor, you should check the connection is tight.

If the connection is OK and you suspect the sensor itself you will find the part numbers for the old and new sensors on the link shown below.  You should be able to find one locally in Aus?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brian
Back to top Go down
ozoceanview
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
ozoceanview

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks Brian. I shall look at it today. I have an 850 so apart from the oil lines and cooler it should be the same
Back to top Go down
ozoceanview
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
ozoceanview

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Do you have a list of the dashboard error code meanings? I accessed them and have 06 and 07 with an X in the memo column

Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 am

Those error codes are:

DSB 06 Air temperature sensor failure
DSB 07 Oil sensor failure

There is another code for the sensor which is not shown (which is good).
DSB 08 Oil pressure failure.

The 'X' shows that it's not an active error, so you can clear it and see if occurs again.

My guess from the error codes, or lack of, is the sensor connection is the problem and not the sensor itself.

Link to full list -
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brian

PS - not sure why the DSB 06 code is there, but it's not active.
Back to top Go down
ozoceanview
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
ozoceanview

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Brian. Very useful!
Back to top Go down
ozoceanview
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
ozoceanview

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

I had a look but i am guessing i have to take a few pieces off to get at it.  the side covers? anything else?
Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Mine had a loose connection, so I removed the side cover and used long nose pliers to squash the spade receptacle on the wire slightly to make it fit tighter onto the sensor. Luckily there was enough slack in the wire.

Still fiddly to do, but having long thin fingers was a help.

Otherwise the tank would have to be removed.

Brian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service/Oil Light Question.   Service/Oil Light Question. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Service/Oil Light Question.
Page 1 of 1