GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

whilst browsing my documentation...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

whilst browsing my documentation... Empty
PostSubject: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

I found a letter from MG recalling the bike for a Technical Upgrade dated 09/02/08. It stated that it was an activity aimed at improving the characteristics of the motorcycle "we have found that in a batch of vehicles, engine performance may be affected by abnormal wear of certain mechanical components" "MG has devised a technical update that will help to maintain these engine components reliability......

Whatever this upgrade was they did not say. The work was carried out FOC on 23/02 09 with 478 miles on the odo.

I contacted the dealer in Nottingham (UK) who carried out all the service work on my bike. They stated that it was the tappets and cam followers that were changed with .... similar ones which are failing too! MG will stand the componentry required if my engine fails but not the labour bill.

It would seem that in theory a claim has to be submitted by the dealer upon failure and then wait for approval from MG.

Gentlemen I think mine have failed and I have not ridden it yet!! That is the path I may take. It can take an age for the parts to come through from MG however.( I do not really need it till October.)

I get my bike rollerised with a Type C kit for £424.80 and all the paperwork. That is a plan and an option, or I wait for it to go rattly then take it in. scratch Coincidently the dealer said be quick cos he ain`t hanging around with Piaggio for much longer. He has been with MG for 15 happy years but he said he`s not wanting a Piaggio sign over his premise.

Chris Smile
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Just do it. Your tappets are probably already shite.

The original recall you mention was to replace the original chilled iron tappets with the DLC tappets. Fat lot of good that did.

Hmm. I recall this:
Quote :
Rollerising?  Nah, if it aint broke don`t fix it son Wink
Change of mind is permitted. Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Somehow, I thought that might come back to me from down under

Ok I am exploring the possibility that the Oz massiv may be right ... for once

My bike may be broken

Chris.Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Chris. As Mark says the original 'Technical Update' was rom the chilled cast iron to the DLC coated forged steel tappets and unfortunately this did not effect a cure. In a way I feel partly responsible for the problem dragging on as, quite simply, for years I was hearing hand-wringing and complaining of persistent failures but quite simply I kept defending the design because in my experience 1.) I couldn't get a top end to obviously fail in my workshop and 2.) I did know that there are a VERY large number of shops out there who don't service the bikes correctly, don't use suitable lubricants and couldn't tune an anvil.

Unfortunately I was proved wrong but only very small people are afraid to admit when they are wrong and keep on defending the indefensible.

The simple truth is that since I did start seeing failures on bikes I knew had been serviced, or in some cases over-serviced, by myself or people I trust I've introduced a 'Zero Tolerance' policy on any flat tappet bike that comes into my shop. They all get inspected or I refuse to work on them. Its that simple.

If you have a look at the video posted in the tech section you will see that inspecting the tappets is NOT a big job. It has to be doe by an authorised workshop, yes, but that is not unreasonable from Piaggio point of view. While it may be daunting to some pulling the cambox off an 8V is scarcely difficult or arduous or at least it shouldn't be to anybody who is working as a mechanic in a professionally run workshop. Even if both sides are inspected, (Usually one is sufficient to tell the story.) it should take no more than an hour and a quarter. I will pretty much guarantee that the tappets will be showing wear. Catching it early, (The earlier the better!) will greatly reduce the risk of more serious damage to your engine. That is why Mark and I, plus anybody else who has torn into their engines, will advise paying the paltry amount of cash needed for the inspection and as long as your books are in order your dealer should be able to claim a kit for you. Hooting and shouting won't help. Remember you'll catch a lot more flies with sugar than with vinegar. Work WITH your dealer rather than against them and you'll find things a lot easier.

Pete
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:51 am

Agree completely. I have spoke with three dealers in the North of England they do not contradict. I was aware of this problem with the 8 valve (before deciding to buy one) because of sites like this and the voluntary advice that is offered even by "pro`s" as well as the learned experience from enthusiasts,  for which I am grateful. I am waiting for a second quote from the dealer in Newcastle which is only an hour away from me. I will be getting the work done before i ride out on it even though as a Yorkshireman my left hand will be pulling the pen out of my right hand as I write the cheque out.Smile

Thanks. Good vid BTW.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whilst browsing my documentation...   whilst browsing my documentation... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

whilst browsing my documentation...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Experience-
Jump to: