GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stupid question..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:24 am

Embarrassed writing this but does it matter which way the valve cover screw seals go in? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 am

That depends on what type of valve cover you have. Really, I'm not shitting you. Does your bike have rocker covers sealed with an o-ring around the plug or a circular neoprene gasket? The change over point was somewhere around mid 2012 I think???

Pete
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:21 am

Hi Pete it has the o ring with the long plug tube.
Wayne
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:27 am

I'm assuming you're talking about the tampons...

I don't know of the difference between the pre-2012s and the post=2012s, but all the ones I've worked with have a pronounced "cup" side that holds the head of the valve cover retention bolt.

If that differs on your version, I'm sure Pete will return to clarify.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am

Thanks Steak i had a feeling the ' lady items' went that way, but with my advancing years and alcohol consumption, i get confused easily!
One more question please while yourself and Pete are here, when i dropped my sump after rollerising i noticed thick mayo starting to drip from the pipe that comes from the blow- by box whereas there was none in the sump or covers. Should i be concerned or is this quite common?
Wayne
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FreshEgg

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 am

wayne68 wrote:
... i noticed thick mayo starting to drip from the pipe that comes from the blow- by box whereas there was none in the sump or covers. Should i be concerned or is this quite common?
Wayne

Wayne:

Mirrors my experience. The crankcase breather system is prime spot for accumulation of Mayo. Mine was basically inoperative because of that. It's a total PIA but a thorough cleaning while you have the tank and throttle bodies off might be in order...but you're asking about valve covers...dammit.
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

Cheers Freshegg, as there's no mayo in the sump or covers i think I'll leave it be ( all back together now ).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Early tampons like yours are ambisidestrous. The later type used with the thick plug tube gasket are the ones that are cupped. I'll take a pic later.

There is always likely to be Mayo in the breather pipes unless you live in a very hot climate.

Pete
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:09 am

I have the old o ring covers and the seals are cupped, i can see it now. The seals that came with my b kit are the same both sides. Guess they just chuck in whatever's handy at the factory.
I'll put the new ones in anyway and keep the old ones as spares.
Some pics (saved you the trouble Pete!).

Cupped o rings

Symmetrical o rings

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stupid question.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question..   Stupid question.. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stupid question..
Page 1 of 1