GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......

Go down 
+5
NorthernProducer
Bill Hagan
Papa Lazarou
Steak
Bulldog9
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Empty
PostSubject: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

After 30+ years of owning and riding motorcycles, I rode and bought my first Guzzi a few months ago.  I was a long time Sport Touring Rider, 35K on an FJR, 100K on a Connie, and several others before that, and have mostly loved Yamaha.

I bought my GRiSO and LOVE it, will keep it forever, but it isn't the best option for two up and the lovely Mrs would like to ride now and then. The last few years I was looking at baggers, and Bigger Cruisers, but did NOT want that to be my only bike, and frankly, nothing really caught my attention or scratched that itch, so I just hung on to my FJR and rode it because I had it.  

So all that said, I've totally fallen for Guzzi, and in many ways feel like I have rediscovered motorcycle riding all over again..... LOVE IT......  So I am back looking at the cruiser and of course the California is TOP of my list. I spent the last two weekends riding friends big bagger cruisers, from Harley of some sort (with two headlights) Victory Vision and one other, a big Yamaha and Suzuki cruiser, and an Indian. All nice in their own regards with plusses and minuses except for the Suzuki which was horrible...........   The Cali 1400 is JUST RIGHT.

It just blows me away that after all this time of looking at and never even being interested in MG since I started riding in 1980 (other than the 1200 sport) that a motorcycle brand has bit me so hard.  Funny because as I look across the classified and CL and Ebay that none of the other models do anything for me but the GRiSO and CALI are just exactly right in every regard.

So the hunt is on, think I found a nice bike (2014 California)  in Canada, but need to look into how to import it to the US.

Last edited by Bulldog9 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Don't pass up a Stelvio before you ride one. It doesn't make you smile like the GRiSO does, but it's a great tourer and a comfy, yet still sporty, two up mount.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 pm

The Norge is the most comfy sport tourer out there. Try one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 am

If riding at a leisurely pace (slow) on something that weighs 300 kg +, using average or below par suspension floats your boat, then buy any cruiser you wish including the Cali.

If touring in comfort and style, with the option of a sporty ride now and then is more you, then I would start with the Norge/Sport/Stelvio range.

Be quick as the CARC range of bikes are going out of production. Dumb arsed Piaggio. clown

They all will benefit from a suspension upgrade to cope with the misses and kitchen sink, but that will just enhance the quality of the Guzzi experience which you already know about.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:32 am

I am not a cruiser kind of guy comma but.

My brother had a C14 Touring for a bit before he went back to a Norge.  He didn't care for it.

I did.

Have no need for one -- as if we "need" any motorcycle Rolling Eyes  -- but it can dance like a fat Ginger Rogers (and she most certainly wasn't, but you get my drift).  

[Actually, most of you are too young for that analogy. Wink]

Anyway, it is, IMO, a very capable motorcycle.  I had poo-pooed it ... until I rode it.  Again, not what I would buy for where I live, i.e., in a land of seemingly endless curvy roads, hills, and mountains, but it does better in those than I ever would have thought.  And, as I "commute" every month to Atlanta (1200+ mile r/t), it would be a fine slab queen, a place my other Guzzis only rarely go.

Bill
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 am

Does your wife ride her own? If not, see if she is willing to take a riding course and then show her a V7. If none of that appeals to you (or her), the Cali would work just fine. As for importing to the USA from Canada, good luck with that. A close friend tried that and gave up "fighting" the bureaucrats on both sides of the border (who said NAFTA?).

Keep us posted on how things turn out...
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Carlotto
Carlotto
Red Dog

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:54 am

The C14's are coming down in price so just hang in there for a bit & buy one stateside.

I had a C14 & I was really surprised at how well it handled.

I did find that it tended to lock me in position & even tho I put quite a few 300 & 400 mile days on it I was never quite satisfied. Mine also started to have a whole pile of very aggravating things go wrong so I traded it off.

I would buy another one but as far as touring goes it would be for short weekenders not cross country.
Back to top Go down
http://www.OtterTrout.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:44 pm

My wife, Esther rode a 1400 California for a year and I got to take it out for a couple of day rides and lots of around town jaunts. As Bill mentioned, it is surprisingly capable, more so than you might expect. It's well engineered and has loads of power, and it corners surprisingly well for such a big bike. But, it is heavy as HELL! On the open road, even curvy ones, it's a fun ride, but tight maneuvering at low speeds proved challenging for her. And she had a lot of trouble parking it without my help. Another thing that really bothered me was that the cylinder heads crank out an enormous amount of heat. My legs got roasted and I'm not a big guy. If your legs are long, it might be even worse.

After a year Esther decided the Cali was just too big and she'd feel more comfortable with something she could handle by herself. To my taste her V7 is a bit on the light side and a bit under-powered, but it suits her just fine and she's a happy rider again.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the input. No my wife doesn't ride, though I wish she did. I bought and rebuilt.restored/lowered a Yamaha XS750 Triple for her, but she couldnt get past the MSF beginner course on a Rebel. She is a great cyclist, but not motorcyclist...... She is my pillion, and has a vote.

She loved the  Concours, and my RT (which I hated) but never liked the FJR because it was to 'racy'  She likes the Guzzi's the Norge and the Cali and leaves the decision up to me.  I am going to test ride both before I pull the trigger, but my main reason for moving to the Cali as a Touring as my back and knees after too many years doing airborne ops, I'm looking for something more 'touring' than sport for comfort, so the Cali made sense.

I did really like the Norge I rode at MI, but the GRiSO was calling my name.

It is a strange journey, I was so bored and uninterested with the FJR that I rarely rode the last 2-3 years. Dont get me wrong was super fast, super comfortable, super capable, but I NEVER loved it..... And rode it because it was what I had...  Having discovered & bit by Guzzi, I am riding all the time and now am thinking of getting back into LD riding again, which the GRiSO wouldn't be my choice lol.

In reading about the Cali, I just discovered it is 'ride by wire" That lowers it considerable and maybe OFF my list, not a big fan of the wizbang, prefer old school as much as possible. DOnt want a bike with so many features they start getting wacky in 5 years
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Bill, I was stationed in DC for the last 5 years, just moved to Washington State. I expect to get back there eventually, and bought a house in Rockbridge Baths near Goshen, look forward to linking up when I get back East.

I've read that the Cali is one of the better touring bikes and better than the average cruiser. I'm going to try to ride a Norge and Cali Back to Back.

Bill Hagan wrote:
I am not a cruiser kind of guy comma but.

My brother had a C14 Touring for a bit before he went back to a Norge.  He didn't care for it.

I did.

Have no need for one -- as if we "need" any motorcycle Rolling Eyes  -- but it can dance like a fat Ginger Rogers (and she most certainly wasn't, but you get my drift).  

[Actually, most of you are too young for that analogy. Wink]

Anyway, it is, IMO, a very capable motorcycle.  I had poo-pooed it ... until I rode it.  Again, not what I would buy for where I live, i.e., in a land of seemingly endless curvy roads, hills, and mountains, but it does better in those than I ever would have thought.  And, as I "commute" every month to Atlanta (1200+ mile r/t), it would be a fine slab queen, a place my other Guzzis only rarely go.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Bulldog9 wrote:
...riding all the time and now am thinking of getting back into LD riding again, which the GRiSO wouldn't be my choice lol...

It's a personal thing. Having said what I said about the Cali, my personal choice for long distance is a GRiSO. Set up right, you'll never want to get off it. 50,000 miles on the GRiSO Rosso and looking forward to many more on the Diavolo Nero!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:42 am

I get it, have used an XS1100, FZ1 and other minimally faired bikes to do LD riding, but the last 10-15 years when riding more than 3-4 hours at speed want a bigger fairing, larger tank, etc. Sure I can add bags and mini fairing to the GRiSO, but then it looses what I like which is the naked raw experience.

I really like the CARC bikes, and while I thought I would like the Cali due to being a bit bigger bike, cruiser, more open seating, is a work of art, the RIDING experience and reality puts me to the Norge as the choice. It still has the unique feel and dynamics of the MG that I am drawn to, but has just a bit more content and equipment for LD touring, particularly two up. Keeping the GRiSO

On another Note, is the Seattle area Ride still on for tomorrow? I have a long weekend and want to do the ride and meetup.

Street wrote:
Bulldog9 wrote:
...riding all the time and now am thinking of getting back into LD riding again, which the GRiSO wouldn't be my choice lol...

It's a personal thing. Having said what I said about the Cali, my personal choice for long distance is a GRiSO. Set up right, you'll never want to get off it. 50,000 miles on the GRiSO Rosso and looking forward to many more on the Diavolo Nero!

Last edited by Bulldog9 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:58 am

PM sent. Join us.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 am

Bulldog,

I don't know if you got my PM or not, for some reason it bounced back to me. Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Yes, our monthly breakfast is tomorrow at Krain Corner Restaurant in Enumclaw (always the first Saturday). You're more than welcome to ride with us if you'd like. A few folks usually gather at my house in Georgetown (6251 Carleton Ave. S Seattle, WA 98108) and depart at 8:00 am.

Hope to see you in the morning. BTW, this invitation applies to anyone else here who resides nearby. All are welcome.

Pete (Street)

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks Pete, I am coming from South so will meet at Restaurant 0830-0845ish.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Cool, we usually arrive between 8:45 and 9:00. See you there.

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Was a great time meeting everyone today!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Glad you could make it, Steve. It was nice meeting you and Caleb and Katrina this morning too. It's a great group of folks, our local contingent - I hope you felt welcome. PM me your email address and I'll add you to my list for future get-togethers.

Pete

Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 am

Bulldog9, I get the cruiser thing too but our seasons and roads do not quite cut the "dream" Hope you get something that floats your boat. Agree with your sentiments about the GRiSO.

Take a butchers hook at the F6c if something different floats your boat. It`s a blast. I have had one. Definitely different and a shaftie Smile

Chris
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Update: Found and purchased a 2014 Norge with 1500 miles that needed a little love for a killer price. About to go out and give it some love - I have another thread on it, but suffice it to say I am really enjoying motorcycling again.... GRiSO for the day trips solo blaster days, NORGE for the Long Trips, or with SWMBO, and daily commuter all weather tasks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Hot tip for your "SWMBO".

Next time your getting close to home, pick up the pace and gauge the reaction.
If you don't get a rabbit chop to the kidneys, you may not have time to clean the bike.
There will be other duties to PERFORM!
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:39 pm

The Garage is almost full.... lol need to find a Stelvio in the 3 k range and I will have one of each of the CARC bikes. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Those are nice roomates indeed... with your 911! Just not sure about the color for such a nice looking car. Very Happy
I do agree with previously said about a GRiSO rigged for touring...It can do that job with the best of them, it's just not the perfect bike for a pillion.
I've ridden both my Grisos (not at the same time Laughing Laughing ) all day, and I mean from 7am to 6pm...I have yet to experience a monkey butt or anything uncomfortable.
Of course, it's mountains riding where you're busy all the time with cornering etc... I couldn't do that on a slab all day, my upper neck would pain me too much and it's on any bike anyway.
The GRiSO is simply the bomb!!
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Those are nice roomates indeed... with your 911! Just not sure about the color for such a nice looking car. Very Happy
I do agree with previously said about a GRiSO rigged for touring...It can do that job with the best of them, it's just not the perfect bike for a pillion.
I've ridden both my Grisos (not at the same time Laughing Laughing ) all day, and I mean from 7am to 6pm...I have yet to experience a monkey butt or anything uncomfortable.
Of course, it's mountains riding where you're busy all the time with cornering etc... I couldn't do that on a slab all day, my upper neck would pain me too much and it's on any bike anyway.
The GRiSO is simply the bomb!!

Yeah, the GRiSO is the bomb, and I can will and do all day rides 340 is my longest so far, but no pain, etc. What it doesn't have is full fairing wind/rain protection, larger tank, 3 piece hard luggage, etc, and the two up 3-4 day/week long trip thing. I put 100K miles on my ZG1000 Connie in 4 years, rode virtually year round, rain or shine, and of course the pillion option was there. That's what the Norge is for...... I just never loved my FJR, had for 8+ years and put on 30K miles.... Was almost at the point of quitting riding all together because it did nothing for me.

The GRiSO changed my life and rekindled my love of this my lifelong addiction. The Norge is very different, but still a GUZZI and really fits, such a sweet and balanced ride.

The car is a 912E I pulled out of the woods in 2010 and did a full restoration with tasteful upgrades, did all the work myself minus the paint and heads. That is the original color ;-) Finished this spring. Car had sat for 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:53 am

912, same body basically and it explain the color. Should have known.
Good for you on resurrecting a classic.
I myself own 70 Mercury Cougar that I "Restomoded".
Stroked 351 mill, double wish bone front suspension, 4 wheel discs, 5 speed manual trans and plenty other goodies.
That car is a pure blast, pure Hooligan ride. Just like the GRiSO!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I rigged my bike (1200) with hard case GIVI, have the sadly discontinued A770 fairing, connector plug for my Garmin with powerlet input for battery charge/maintenance etc... it's happening... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......   Help.... I've fallen  (for MG) and I can't stop...... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help.... I've fallen (for MG) and I can't stop......
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next