GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

My GRiSO dilemma

Go down 
+5
Lemppari
Grisonut
beetle
Pete Roper
Triumphdave
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Triumphdave
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Triumphdave

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi all,
 I have fancied a Guzzi since I was a lad. I have just recently moved house so thought now would be a good time to scratch that itch.
I had seen some internet pictures of the Stonello and really liked the look so thought I would go to my nearest dealer to try a demo. Man was I gutted, it just seemed so characterless and not at all what I was expecting.  Seeing my disapointment the dealer convinced me to try the new Bobber, That too was very underwhelming.
Although my journey to work is now only a short 6 mile trip each way I know that I would soon be regretting buying either bike.
Then out of the blue I saw the GRiSO, know this was the Guzzi I had been looking for, Not only did it look awesome but also has the grunt that was missing from my previous test rides.
So there lies my problem, I really like the GRiSO BUT is my short journey to work going to cause problems. I read here that they don't particualy like short journeys.I really want to scratch my Guzzi itch but not at the expense of disappointing performance (Stonello, Bobber) or a Knackered engine or rough ride due to mainly short trips (GRiSO). Incidentally I have seen a nice very low mileage 2014 model at a fairly reasonable price
Help.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Short trips are a bad idea as the oil never gets up to temperature so it can't boil off the water that gets in as a byproduct of combustion. The simple answer would be to buy the GRiSO and a small scooter for the commute.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Welcome! 6 miles won't even get the engine up to operating temp. Is there a long way round scenic route you could take? Like, 20 miles? Very Happy

Or...buy the GRiSO for weekends and a scooter or similar for daily work duties.

EDIT: D'oh! Roper beat me to it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I work 5 miles from home and I ride to work almost every day.
Since I live in Florida, operating temp is not an issue for the bike...
In your case, you could always let it run idling a couple of minutes before riding to work so it gets to temp quicker?
When there's a will, there's a way. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 am

The shortest distance to work for me is 5 km's when I'm working in our shop here where I live and yes, I ride to work with my GRiSO. I'll fire it up, then zip up, put the lid on, gloves on etc., so the engine has time to warm up before the ride. In the afternoon I usually end up detouring a 30-40 km run home.

Happily it's not all short distance riding as our other shops are some 50 km's distance away. The same detour tactics easile stretch the homerun to 100-120 km's.
Back to top Go down

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:32 am

Move house again (further away) or get a new job in another county, or buy a scooter for work.
Five days between GRiSO rides will make you appreciate it even more.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:43 am

The fact the motor is out of its warm up cycle vis-a-vis performance does not mean it's 'Up To Temperature'. The oil has to get to at least 95*C for an extended period of time to sublime off and expel the water.

A 2.5 Km commute will kill any engine, (With the possible exception of a small 2-Stroke.) your choice is do you kill an expensive, unsuitable for purpose, engine or a cheap, semi-disposable scooter donk?

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:06 am

If the GRiSO speaks to you, I say get it and figure out mileage, etc. later.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Shame on you for even thinking about less than a 30 mile ride to work, anything less is abuse and neglect. Very Happy Very Happy  Abuse to your bike, neglect to you..... Take the long way Problem Solved ;-)   I too live just 6 miles to work, take the long way every day sometimes the super long way home as in 2-3 hours... Just build it into your time!
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Welcome TriumphDave...let us know what you decide!
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Short trips are a bad idea as the oil never gets up to temperature so it can't boil off the water that gets in as a byproduct of combustion. The simple answer would be to buy the GRiSO and a small scooter for the commute.

Pete

Pete, how about a more rigorous oil change schedule ? Is this really a problem if you take it out for a good long ride on a regular basis as well as the short commute?
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Moisture build up is fairly rapid. A few short cycles and you'll end up with a sump full of shit. Really, it's not a good idea.

Scooters are a whole world of silly fun, you can buy a good cheap scooter for next to nothing really and rego costs next to nothing. It will pay for itself in two years in savings on wear and tear + servicing on a pig like a GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Also, the short trip to work will likely deplete the battery if it's not put on a tender at night.
Happened to my truck when I worked 1.8 miles away from home...
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:22 pm

To hell with the scooter, ride a bicycle to work,(better for health and the environment) Buy the GRiSO for fun,health and environment be damned!
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Sponsored content

My GRiSO dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO dilemma   My GRiSO dilemma Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

My GRiSO dilemma
Page 1 of 1