GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

cam box help needed

Go down 
+4
beetle
paulbrice
Pete Roper
godge
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Belfastguzzi
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Belfastguzzi

cam box help needed - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:50 am

godge wrote:
Thanks Paul , ill start getting the head back on tonight
what's everyone's opinion on polishing up the piston...

It makes for a good photo Very Happy

(Knowing about the shininess will also make me feel all warm inside, for the first few miles.)
Back to top Go down
godge
Carlotto
Carlotto
godge

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Pictures of damage the right pot
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What do you think guys, should I pull the sump for a look
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:01 pm

You might be fine but for the cost of a sump gasket and 18 bolts? Why not? A good clean out won't hurt.

Pete
Back to top Go down
godge
Carlotto
Carlotto
godge

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks Pete, should I run it with the sacrificial oil first then drop the sump or drop sump now then put the shit oil in for a quick run, then drain.
Got a 10w40 oil for running for 10 mins and my Agip oil 10/60 is waiting.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Use the cheap stuff for the 'Flush' making sure you get it good and hot, (So the filter doesn't go into bypass.) before you give it a good work out, at least fifty miles of decent, full rev range, riding. Them drop the oil, sump and filter. Clean sump and inspect screens. Reattach sump and install pre-filled filter. Fill with fresh oil. Finished.

Pete
Back to top Go down
godge
Carlotto
Carlotto
godge

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Guys, got both roller cam boxes on and all torqued down, while setting valve clearances have noticed that the rocker arms have movement, is this called end float. left pot has considerably more movement than the right.
I'm a little concerned regarding this as I'm sure it will cause some considerable noise.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Yes there is end float, there has to be otherwise the rockers would bind. Some bikes are noisier than others, such is life.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:59 am

Best to rotate on pulley and check then recheck (I'm a former BMW owner so still thinking in the 'adjust one tappet = changes others') so at least clearances are all set right. Once you start engine you can listen and see any noise differences...initially I thought mine is way quieter but now after 800 miles I think I can hear a distint roller-rolling noise instead of the old clatter....Either way suggest you recheck clearances after several hundred miles in case there was 'bedding-in' - whatever the hell that is. If it is more pure lateral slack then maybe more noisy but can't see any mechanical issue with that (within limits)
Back to top Go down
Belfastguzzi
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Belfastguzzi

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 am

godge wrote:
Hi Guys, got both roller cam boxes on and all torqued down, while setting valve clearances have noticed that the rocker arms have movement, is this called end float. left pot has considerably more movement than the right.
I'm a little concerned regarding this as I'm sure it will cause some considerable noise.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Godge
I took some photos of rockers last night. I'll post them as a new topic soon. Should put your mind at rest re the end-float concern.

Back to top Go down
godge
Carlotto
Carlotto
godge

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:50 am

Well guys its running and touch wood its running well,not had a chance to get it out yet as as normal in Scotland its raining.
Thanks to Pete, Paul and Belfast Guzzi for all your help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cam box help needed   cam box help needed - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

cam box help needed
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3