GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Well that was a major screw up!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Well that was a major screw up! Empty
PostSubject: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

Replaced one of the ball joints on my linkage rod on the TB's the other day but despite measuring everything I still managed to cock it up somehow. So I zeroed everything and started from scratch. No joy. Still runs like a munter.

Unfortunately we are given no info beyond tuning data by the factory. Now I know that the engine is stupidly sensitive to TB balance and I know that lots of people tend to screw about with stuff they shouldn't screw about with. 'Officially' if one of the shitty plastic ball joints breaks we're supposed to buy new TB's. Stupid! As is having the balls below the linkage arms rather than above. As they are they fill up with water and grit! If they were the other way up they'd probably last forever!

Anyway to cut a long story short I've bought a hopefully fairly new and un-messed with set of TB's from Pinwall and I'm determined to establish an accurate way of re-calibrating the poxy things. Initially I'll do some physical measurements but I think that to get it accurate I'll have to build a flow bench so yet another Mark, (My offsider and part time 'Employee' at Motomoda who is also a clever fabricator and machinist.) who some of you may know as 'Oldtime' from WG and I will set about building a twin manometer equipped bench and with a multimeter and the manometers we should be able to recalibrate them so they are every bit as well as they do at MM or wherever. It'll also mean that we'll be able to piss off the excreble ball joints and replace them with something superior.

Only pain in the arse is that it means my GRiSO is 'Hors de Combat' during the nicest riding month of the year! Grrrrrr!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 am

Pete,

Is there something that can be done proactively to new GRiSO's? Fashion a boot for the ball ends? Inject grease in them with a syringe? Coat them with something that displaces water? I've never seen the items in question, just thinking out loud.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 am

It was one of my first thought when I first saw them and was dubious about their longevity! I never got a Round Tuit though. Mine lasted 70,000km before one dropped off and I live in a pretty hostile environment but others have had them fail much earlier. Dunno if greasing them would help as it might just create grinding paste in the joint. If some form of boot could be fabricated it would be best.

Pete
Back to top Go down
swagzz
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
swagzz

PostSubject: Re: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:25 am

Replaced the plastic rose joints with brass units ,

Note-- LH & RH thread
eliminated some throttle issues and the fact the LH dropped off by itself after 60000 klm resulting in no throttle Shocked
when resetting vacumn and tps after this found vacumn was very different. Wink
used verniers to measure centre to centre on old rose joints and set up new ones the same so I think the amount of slop in the old units was affecting the TPS and Vac settings.
also had a slight leak out of rh throttle body shaft that has disappeared so I think it may have been slightly open at off position.
anyway it worked for me ,so if the bit on the end of your shaft drops off :lol:this is an easy fix.
will take some pics and post them
later swagzz[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]

Last edited by swagzz on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:44 am

Well I need pictures with it! So Guzzi listend and put single TB on the new models. No that is because it 's cheaper :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well that was a major screw up!   Well that was a major screw up! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Well that was a major screw up!
Page 1 of 1