GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ZumWohl
Carlotto
Carlotto
ZumWohl

Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Empty
PostSubject: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Introducing myself to the Ghetto...

I picked up my new-to-me 2015 GRiSO with 5700 miles this past weekend. By the time I rode it home it home it rolled past 6000, so right off the bat I need to do a service. I'm not quite ready, no gear or CARC oils, no real idea of what I'm doing, but I'll press on with the vast knowledge base found here.

I've previously gathered enough info from here to make my first tweak today; dropped the triple tree to 4 rings showing. When I picked it up, they sat at the 2nd ring, and after a spirited ride today I knew I had to adjust them. The 4th ring is much better, and I'm tempted to go 1 or 2 more. Next I want to properly set sag, then tweak the suspension as best I can.

Another observation; she still has stock exhaust and no new map loaded, but I am really pleased with both the exhaust sound and fueling throughout the range! There seems to be no dead spots, no popping on decel... all in all I'm impressed enough to keep things as they are for now.

Immediate needs are a flyscreen and luggage. It came with H&B C-bow mounts so I'll pick up bags over the winter.

One thing I want to do is something that I did on my V-Strom 1K...install a relay kit that makes the front turn signals 'always on', as in running lights. When the turn is activated, it blinks off and on, and when canceled it goes back to steady on. I like having as much 'conspicuity' as possible, and this setup helps. It's available from 12 o'clock labs.

Sorry for the long-winded first post! But one last thing I'd like to know, is if there are any fellow GRiSO owner/wrenches near me. I'm in Delaware County west of PHL. I'd look forward to meeting up and get some guidance on this first 6k service.

Best regards to all,
Don
(ZumWohl comes from my few years in Germany while in the Army a lifetime ago; really enjoyed the bier fests)
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Willkommen!   Wink

Congrats on your GRiSO.  Hope it brings you many miles of smiles.

While this isn't your first rodeo, and I apologize for sounding patronizing ... but I'll go on anyway.   Very Happy

I'd recommend going slow on mods.  My garage is littered with 10% of the things I thought essential for my Guzzis, and I've given away or sold three times that stuff that's still here.

That said, I have a tarted-up GRiSO; most of us do. cheers

You obviously know what you are doing WRT suspension and front forks.  But today -- yes, today, after four years and 16K miles -- I finally realized on a two-day 400-miler in south central Pennsylvania that I have been wrong about the GRiSO's handling.

All that time, I have viewed the GRiSO as a bit of pig, at least compared to my Norge.  The latter was (and remains), IMO, a spritely lass for a big fat girl ST.  I love the way it virtually falls into turns.

The GRiSO, OTOH, with its long wheel base and other attributes, requires forceful countersteer to enter and leave turns.

I thought that was "bad," and have whined about that here and elsewhere when -- finally! -- I realized it was just different.  I began to appreciate and enjoy that today.    

OK, yes, I am a slow learner.  jocolor

Now, I may yet fiddle with dropping the TT just for the heck of it, but now that I see it was me, not the GRiSO, I may "just ride it."

What a(n irascible) sweetheart the GRiSO is.  Have fun out there.

Bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto!!  Any pics of your new beauty?  

Re other GRiSO owners in your area: a long time ago I had the bright idea to set up a map where every GRiSO owner could pin their location, thus making it easier to find technical support & sympathy when needed: see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but it is not used that much.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:45 pm

Welcome Don...I hope you enjoy your GRiSO as much as I enjoy mine! Keep us updated on your mod's!
Back to top Go down
ZumWohl
Carlotto
Carlotto
ZumWohl

PostSubject: Re: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks guys!  I hear what you're saying about going slow on the modifications; I have to slow down ANY expenditures due to the higher-than-expected insurance this Italian girl requires!

But she' was a girl after my heart, and it looks like I'm in it for the long haul!

Regarding pics, right now she looks like every other stock red/black GRiSO. When I finally make her mine I'll be sure to post up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...   Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ciao! Greetings from Philadelphia...
Page 1 of 1