GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Empty
PostSubject: In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse   In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Last night I had the GRiSO suddenly quit in the middle of my commute. Since this is the second time I'm getting used to it. The first time I took the GRiSO to the Dealer. It wasn't bad $100 bill with the identification of the blown fuse. I didn't expect them to find what caused it. Next time I'll check the fuses before I make any calls.

So now I carry an ample supply of fuses. With this second blow, I pulled in the clutch, found a good place to get off the road, removed the seat, had to use a key to get out the little fuse --note to self buy a pair of fuse tweezers-- and put in new 20a.

At 46,000 miles on my G11 I figure it's wear in the wiring loom.

Now I figure on pulling the fuel tank --- fun Crying or Very sad -- and searching for that damn short!
Back to top Go down
techman-001
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
techman-001

PostSubject: Re: In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse   In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:59 pm

not-fishing wrote:
Last night I had the GRiSO suddenly quit in the middle of my commute. Since this is the second time I'm getting used to it. The first time I took the GRiSO to the Dealer. It wasn't bad $100 bill with the identification of the blown fuse. I didn't expect them to find what caused it. Next time I'll check the fuses before I make any calls.

So now I carry an ample supply of fuses. With this second blow, I pulled in the clutch, found a good place to get off the road, removed the seat, had to use a key to get out the little fuse --note to self buy a pair of fuse tweezers-- and put in new 20a.

At 46,000 miles on my G11 I figure it's wear in the wiring loom.

Now I figure on pulling the fuel tank --- fun Crying or Very sad -- and searching for that damn short!

If you remove the injectors along with the tank it's actually pretty easy, just undo the single screw that holds the injector cover (and injector), then gently wriggle the injector out of its o-ring, and feed the injectors out thru the bike while lifting the tank off. Another great Pete Roper suggestion.

I did it by myself a few weeks ago (with a full tank) while standing on a ladder (my GRiSO is on a elevated work ramp).

Note: be sure not to lose the injector mounting hole metal insert which can fall out. I took mine out and retained them on the mounting bolt by screwing it into the frame.

Which 30A fuse is blowing ?
There are two, both go to the ignition switch,  one also connects to the alternator, the other also goes direct  to the dashboard. You may cut down your diagnostics time by following the wiring diagram connections from the blown fuse ?

Finally, is the fuse actually blown, and not fractured from vibration instead ?

Good luck, I hate intermittent faults, they're the hardest to find.
Back to top Go down
https://mecrisp-stellaris-folkdoc.sourceforge.io/
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse   In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Take you earth wire off your starter motor and clean underneath it. Mine blew fuzes repeatedly and I had a few tows and made a mechanic wealthy since he also checked and replaced everything but that.

Pete on here said to check the earth wire, it looked pristine so I never took it off. After many weeks, finally unscrewed it and had green crud under it. Emery paper and a copper washer solved the problem.
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse   In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:21 am

Well I couldn't find a short so I've ridden the GRiSO for a number of months now.  Then a few days ago I had a "difficult day" and my GRiSO left me stranded by blowing the same fuse over and over again.   It's the 20a one that runs the fuel pump & injectors.   Sad
z
Well the good news is that it's not an intermittent short - it's always on.

I cleaned the grounds to the starter and did some tests.

I found that without the fuel pump plugged in the fuse didn't blow so off with the fuel tank, out with the fuel pump and more testing.  The fuel pump works fine on jumpers, the resistance of the pump is low.  I checked the filter connections with the pump out and it's good

I do have a new filter so I guess I change the old one.  only 48,000 miles on it

Injectors are out and going to be sent to AF1 for cleaning.

My only other idea is the relay but I don't see how it would blow fuses.    

Wiring loom looks decent.

Anyone else have an idea?

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse   In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

In search of the lost short - 20a blown fuse
Page 1 of 1