GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Empty
PostSubject: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Am looking at a 600lb hitch lift to carry the Norge or GRiSO on the back of my truck rather than towing in a trailer.

Many years ago in Monterey, I saw a H2 Humvee with a V-Rod on a hydraulic hitch lift pull into the hotel I was staying at.  He rolled in, checked in, then rode off on the bike the next morning. An awesome setup.

I have an SVT Raptor Supercrew as the tow vehicle which has an 8,000lb tow capacity, a Class III hitch and a tongue capacity of ~1,200 lbs.  The Raptor is a little wider than a normal F150 at 86 inches so the Norge will fit fine widthwise,

We are about an 8 hour drive/ride from Key West.  Kind of thing we are looking at is to drive down to Miami and leave the truck in a carpark and then ride through the Keys.  Doing 4 or 5 hours of interstate is better in a truck doing 85mph according to my missus.  Same going north, get through the interstates in the truck then ride the Smokey's etc.    I have access to a bike trailer but the hitch lift seems a lot more versatile.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   This is the sort of thing I am looking at.  They also have a 1000lb capacity carrier but that is a bit of overkill I think.

I know will be pushing the weight limit with the Norge but with a near empty fuel tank and putting the panniers and topbox in the cab, will be at or just under 600lbs.  I expect the GRiSO would fit well under the 600lbs.

Anyone have experience with those?  I don't see a lot of them and there must be a reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Carlo, as a professional motorcycle towing operator I may have something to offer.
I have seen a similar system being tested by our Govt Transport Dept for one of my competitors. Even without a bike mounted it seemed to flex and move around. Never seen it on the road.

My main concern is, 600lbs of weight being carried a long way behind the axle, the Raptor might not be a nice drive at 85mph. Also, the tie point bars protrude a long way behind the vehicle, parking?
If you get rear ended your bike will be totalled. There is nothing in their example of tieing it down, to stop it rolling backward and forward when you corner.

Here is a link to my website and how I do it;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Home grown design that has worked perfectly for 8 years.

And here is a link to another system that will mount your bike in the back of your truck;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I believe there are multiple versions of this example by various manufacturers.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 am

I've toyed with something like this for years until I check on how cheap it is to rent. You can rent a Motorcycle Trailer about 50X for one purchase. I agree with Gezzi, 600lbs is a LOT of tongue weight.
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 am

Yes, looks like you need at least an F250 to use the 600lb capacity so a trailer it will be.

The capacity chart on the Versahaul Sport carrier (which says 600lbs capacity) lists my truck as only being able to carry 157lb on the hitch while staying level.

Can put that idea to bed.

Appreciate the input

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:48 pm

I like the Rampage thing best for a single bike scenario...providing you own a pick 'em up truck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle   Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Truck Hitch Carrier for Motorcycle
Page 1 of 1