GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A Convert for a convert...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

A Convert for a convert... Empty
PostSubject: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Gentlemen o th Ghetto, specifically those down here in the Great Southern Land...

A 'friend of mine' has a 1976 Convert sitting in his shed...
He asks of me, who is the go to guy for a "have a look and give me a number to get her up and going".
The bike is currently unregistered -of course- and located on the Sunshine Coast.
How long is that string, and are your pockets deep enough to hold said string....?
Your thought Gents??

-( I foresee ghezzi and his ute, roadtrippin down to Bungendore...)

Apologies for the non GRiSO thread.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm

The Ute's too expensive for 1 bike on a long trip, unless his pockets are deep.

Road Hog Transport (Brisbane/Sunshine Coast based) will do it for around $500.

Over to you Pete.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 am

Problem is without seeing it it is impossible for me to even begin to give an idea of what might need doing.

I'll also say upfront I don't do much 'Old Stuff' anymore, partly because it's virtually impossible to quote and also any job like this will take months as it has to be fitted in around real, paying, work. As it's a 'Vert though, and everybody else in the universe hates them, I'd be willing to take a look.

Might be easier and cheaper for me to ride up and have a squizz at it where it is. How many decades has it been sitting?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 am

Converts are fine bikes and parts are easily available-in Europe.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 am

story goes its been 'in the family' for about 25 years, said to have been Ted S's personal ride.
it was running when buddy took ownership and put it in directly in his shed as he departed for destinations overseas.
two years ago.
there is apparently 'an unspecified issue' with the transmission.
I am currently midway across the Great Australian Bight, delivering a boat from NZ to Freo, so can't go and have a look meself.
will do that in a couple of weeks and report findings...
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am

bahamazoo wrote:
story goes its been 'in the family' for about 25 years, said to have been Ted S's personal ride.
it was running when buddy took ownership and put it in directly in his shed as he departed for destinations overseas.
two years ago.
there is apparently 'an unspecified issue' with the transmission.
I am currently midway across the Great Australian Bight, delivering a boat from NZ to Freo, so can't go and have a look meself.
will do that in a couple of weeks and report findings...

Good chance to replace the auto transmission with a real one...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:50 pm

fredfrenzy wrote:
Good chance to replace the auto transmission with a real one...

Spoken by someone who has never obviously ridden one Very Happy . This was the same old line spouted 'Back in the day'. It's crap.

I chose a Convert for my first big trip around the USA in 2004. That bike, which I bought back with me after the trip, is now my only 'Old' Guzzi, (Although I have enough crap in the shed to build a perfectly respectable 'Cafe' [Puke!] if I wanted.) at least in Oz it is.

No, they aren't for everyone, but a good 'Vert is a lovely thing. Mine held 90MPH from Flagstaff to LA across the Arizona and California deserts in searing heat and when I parked it up after 14 hours or so it was still ticking over like a Swiss watch.

Incidentally the bike in question probably has one of two problems preventing it being ridden. One is super easy to fix. One less so.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Convert for a convert...   A Convert for a convert... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A Convert for a convert...
Page 1 of 1