GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New owner questions

Go down 
+7
sidrat
waterbottle
avgpetro
beetle
wyno
Pete Roper
Nobleswood
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

New owner questions Empty
PostSubject: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
So I'm cleaning & generally getting to know my 2013 GRiSO and finding out what the PO did to it.

First question
The taped up wire with the wire nuts, it is part of the wire harness, the last 'branch of which connects to the horn. What is or was this ?

The brake lever: are we looking at the victim of abuse here ? The rubber peg isn't parallel to the footpeg.  It's a casting, can it be bent back into shape.

Appreciate your guidance.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Without looking I have no idea on the wires.

The brake pedal shows the bike has been dropped, probably at a standstill. See of the front bottom corner of the oil cooler cowl is scraped, that touches down too. Can it be straightened? Maybe. Vice, heat, lever but don't be surprised if it snaps.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks Pete,

My friend has a small forge & wasn't optimistic about the chance of re-shaping it. But winter would be the best time to have a go if I'm going to.

Strangely I haven't seen any other evidence of the bike being dropped. Or maybe I'm just not recognizing what's there.

I see from the schematic that there is a line available for a GPS or phone. Where do they hide that ?
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm

The lever on mine is like that coz I dropped it at zero kmh. I have a replacement that I got from Pete, but I've got so used to just turning my foot, that I haven't bothered to put the new one on. Besides, as soon as it does go on, I'll probably have an accident and break the new one.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:18 pm

You can bend them back to usefulness. Apply heat evenly along area of interest and bend with great big thing. The last time I left it installed and used two very big shifting spanners to straighten it. Maybe 4 or 5 times now. I'm a repeat offender. The sixth time it was bent beyond repair.

silent

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:21 am

Chech the bolt that holds the brake pedal, it may be loose.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:33 am

I see from the schematic that there is a line available for a GPS or phone. Where do they hide that ?[/quote]
Under the right side cover, at the front. It has a weird plug, I cut the plug off and wired in a double USB charger outlet Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 am

what he says about the electrical connection. I have also cut it off and run a connection to a usb plug on the handelbar.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks All
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 am

It's the right side the picture shows. Maybe it's the factory installed connection for a navi. I have this on my GRiSO too, although with a green connector. When ignition on you will have 12 V on the leads.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:34 am

Pete Roper wrote:

The brake pedal shows the bike has been dropped, probably at a standstill. See of the front bottom corner of the oil cooler cowl is scraped, that touches down too. Can it be straightened? Maybe. Vice, heat, lever but don't be surprised if it snaps.

Pete

My 09 and 07 were bent at the dealer when I picked them up new... (my 2013 is fine)
Maybe this happens when they crate them for shipping?
Strange...
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete

You're right; closer inspection showed scuffing on the front bottom corner of the oil cooler, painted over. And the RH bar end.

Minor damage so likely at a standstill as you said. The PO only had it 7 months or so. Probaly just wasn't used to the balance & over she went.

The blue & yellow wires I was asking about appear to be the GPS circuit I was looking for...

Who would have thought !
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Next question ; what size is the C wrench for the rear shock ?
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 pm

I may not be a great mechanic, but I can make stuff. So I measured the shock preload rings, drew it in AutoCad & cut it out with a jigsaw & files.

Now who can advise me on tempering mild steel ? Quenching it in oil or water ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 pm

I take it you made a 'C' spanner .................. and not the rings?

Ingenious, but all your energies would reap a greater reward if you spent the time earning money.
Then you can throw that stock shock at the neighbor's cat and buy yourself a more decenter properer unit of damping control.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 am

As tight as I am with my money, I'm willing to wait a while to see if at 165Lbs the shock isn't overwhelmed by my weight.

Anyway it was Thursday night have a beer in the Barn with my neighbor. Generally when we talk about engines, his hope about getting a bike & find some blacksmithing to do.

We heated the brake lever & massaged that back to its intended shape.

And finished off

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:37 am

"Finished off?"

Looks as if you left the job undone.  Wink

Amazing, too, re fabricating tool.

I had a '76 Fiat 131.  The service manual said that one needed a "Fiat Special Tool # 3 " or the like to remove the door panels to access the window-crank mechanism.

The depiction looked pretty simple, but I called a dealer.  Yup.  They, too, just bent a coat hanger to do the deed.  Very Happy

Loved that car.  Bought in Virginia.  Shipped it to Italy for three years. Brought it back.  Sold it -- reluctantly, and only because family outgrew it -- with 200K+ miles.  Folks mock Fiats, but that was a great little car.  cheers  

Bill
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 am

Usually find (after making one!) that you can buy quality OEM copies of most tools....eg despite the fun to measure, search & find donor starting point, drive around shops to get one (bike already in bits), buy it, craft & angle grind, fine tune fit etc for steering bearings tool...... I could have bought a purpose made alloy one on ebay & had lot less downtime...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 pm

ghezzi wrote:
I take it you made a 'C' spanner .................. and not the rings?

Ingenious, but all your energies would reap a greater reward if you spent the time earning money.
Then you can throw that stock shock at the neighbor's cat and buy yourself a more decenter properer unit of damping control.

Got to watch those pronouns....

I'm still operating under the ' You're right honey, I only need one bike. But I can't decide which one to keep....' lie at the moment. So I won't try to buy anything else just yet.

Just yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner questions   New owner questions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New owner questions
Page 1 of 1