GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spark plugs, suggestions?

Go down 
+2
Steak
Triman023
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Spark plugs, suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Just clicked over 10,000 miles today. Thinking about replacing my spark plugs.
Any suggestions? I suppose I should also replace the plug wires with the NGK upgrades too, although the stock ones still work.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:11 pm

I like the NGK CR8EIX Iridium plugs for both the GRiSO and the Stelvio.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

No need to replace your spark plug wires, just be gentle with the plug cap extraction. Someone else here made the great suggestion of disconnecting the plug boot by removing the valve cover bolts and pull up the boot by removing the valve cover. Works great, and you're all set to check the valve lash at the same time.

I'm still running the original spark plug wires on my GRiSO.

SD

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 am

Looks like there are now 3 tricks for this ?? I thought the standard trick was to jemmy the plug covers through the front opening in the fins (was going to be my 'next time' approach); and up to now I've used the 'PP thin rope around the plug cover top' trick which has always worked so far. Doesn't using the cam cover risk whacking the tank when it releases ? BTW NGK Laser Platinum PMR8B work fine for me although Iridium is claimed to be an 'Upgrade' .....so is Unobtainium but I can't seem to find them at any of the shops :-)
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:25 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] until the suggestion to pull them up with the valve covers. Using the covers is much easier, and in my experience they don't "pop" up enough to bang into anything. Besides, they are still "restrained" by the HT leads...

The screwdriver trick through the drain channels works ok, but there's really not much leverage to be had.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:31 am

Will give it a try - thanks for the insights
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Caveat: Obviously, the valve cover lifting trick is useless if the boots have already been cut and the SB05E boots have been grafted on... It's only useful for preserving the OE fragile elbows.

Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks! I always use the shoelace method. 3 turns around the right angle and a gentle pull. No damage yet. Say, those plugs are expensive! Should I wait a few more miles?
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Those plugs do 100,000 km in car engines, I've used the same plugs for 50,000km (30,000 miles) in my GRiSO without issues. I wouldn't change them at 10,000 unless they were creating problems.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Triman023 wrote:
Thanks!  I always use the shoelace method. 3 turns around the right angle and a gentle pull. No damage yet. Say, those plugs are expensive! Should I wait a few more miles?

$6 each???

Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Its not like I own a BMW or a Ducati and have $$$$ to burn!!!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:57 pm

It looks like the Iridium ones are almost 1/2 price of the platinum ones (UK sites & prices) which goes against the periodic table 'rareness' theme but hey-ho (on that basis unobtainium ones would be free or they'd pay you to use them... if you could get hold of them). PS would need to add in the cost of a new pair of shoe laces each time you change them though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Tey're cheaper in the US too... Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 am

Steak wrote:
I like the NGK CR8EIX Iridium plugs for both the GRiSO and the Stelvio

What is the advantage to use those plugs ?

If you use external iridium plugs do you have to use the internal plugs with the same technology or can it be mixed between external and internal ?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 am

Richard, those plugs are better on all level.
Iridium is a great material to combat heat and corrosion thus, perfect in the combustion chamber of the engine.

As far as external plugs, the 8V mill only has one plug per cylinder and it's the external one.
On the 1100, it would make sense to go iridium with all four plugs. I have not done that yet on my 2007 but next service at 36K miles, I will.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 am

Thanks for the explanation Pascal. Understood. Better wait for the next service and change all the plugs.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:04 pm

Yep. I believe you have to lift the gas tank for at least one side to get to those inner plugs on the 1100.
So once you install the iridium ones, you're done for a long time...I say 60K miles at least.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:39 am

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark plugs, suggestions?   Spark plugs, suggestions? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spark plugs, suggestions?
Page 1 of 1