GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Falling into corners

Go down 
+6
Bill Hagan
waterbottle
beetle
GUZ21
Street
EricS
10 posters
AuthorMessage
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Falling into corners Empty
PostSubject: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I seem to be having the opposite problem of most folks in that the bike tends to fall into the corner at low to moderate speeds. I have to counter steer with the inside bar to keep the bike up rather than the outside one to push it in. It did this a little bit with the OEM tires but seems more pronounced with the new Scorpion Trail II tires. They're the stock size and profile but maybe the thicker/stiffer rubber makes them a bit more 'tippy'.

The front and rear sags seem good (though I must admit it wasn't a super-anal measurement). When I apply throttle the bike does stand up and neutralize a bit so I suspect I need more rake in the front. The forks show just under 5 rings above the top clamp so I plan to drop them to 2 rings.

Does this sound reasonable or should I be looking for other issues? I did check the front axle and steering head for play and both are snug.

Thanks - Eric
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm

More speed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 pm

That's a GRiSO!

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:35 pm

What Pete said. Go faster.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

I have the same tyres on the Stelvio, and find the exact same thing. It's also not as stable in a direct line, seems to wonder a bit. But they do hang on well in wet weather Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Most interesting.

The only time mine has fallen into a corner is when I crashed in '13 going around one. Rolling Eyes

Might have to try a set of those just for the fun of it, tho my MPR4's are so confidence-inspiring and long-lived, it'll be hard to switch. Still, just to feel that once might be worth it.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:28 pm

What tyre pressures are you running?
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:29 am

I know your asking EricS, but one up on the Stella, 38 rear 36 front. It doesn't feel dangerous, just different. As EricS topic says, it just falls into corners. Maybe they are the perfect tyres we have always looked for , or maybe the factory F'd up the profile of the tyre. Either way, I find they pull a tight turn very easy at highway speeds
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that about half my commute is suburban roads and school zones that are all posted 25-30 mph and well enforced by our local constables. Certainly a 20 mph intersection is different than a 50 mph sweeper and that's where it's most noticeable. Would LOVE to go faster but I'll lose my license in short order.

I'm running 32 front / 36 rear which feels firm but not harsh. I'm right around 100 Kg in my gear if that matters...

If this is the nature of the GRiSO I'm totally cool with the handling and will adjust. The contrast to my BMW GS and Breva 1100 is dramatic enough I just wanted to be sure nothing was wrong with the bike. Sounds like I may also want to change my commute to a higher speed route. It will take an extra 20 minutes but that's the point, isn't it? Very Happy

BTW - how did you folks in the southern hemisphere fare with cyclone Debbie?
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:56 am

Cyclone Debbie did shit all for us here in Gladstone. But caused all sorts of flooding in south east Queensland. Have you checked your book re tyre pressures ??
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 am

Book says 33/36 so I'm a touch low on the front. Did that because it's still pretty cold in the northeast with morning temps in the 30s
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:48 am

I reckon you're way too low. Try 36 front 38 rear.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 am

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I upped the tire pressures as suggested but there was little change so I took the next step and dropped the forks in the clamps (two rings showing instead of four). THAT made a huge difference. The bike still has sharp turn-in but without it feeling like the front wheel was going to tuck below 30 mph. Also nice and neutral on 50-60 mph sweepers and in tighter 30-40 mph corners. As my Brit friend likes to say, "Result!"
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Interesting. In my experience, the GRiSO has massive understeer. My forks are on the 6th ring and my rear shock is slightly longer than stock. I reckon it steers just right now. I'm running Michelins. When I ran Avons, it steered like a pig with it's front legs missing. Turns out the rear 180 actually measured 188. Have you measured your tyres? Maybe they are slightly narrower than advertised?

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Whats left of Debbie has just hit New Zealand, expected to be here for two days, dumping 1 months rainfall in that time, lucky for us we're not expecting the strong winds
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

This is an interesting thread.

The GRiSO is the first of my Guzzis I have to push through corners.  Used to that now, and even like it.  Sort of.

I, too, based on the beneath-the-saddle sticker, have been running -- on all brands of shoes so far, i.e., OEM M6, PAST, MPP Pures, and now MPR4's -- 2.3/2.5 BAR, moving rear to 2.6 if carrying "stuff" besides my own ample avoirdupois.  Rolling Eyes

Pete's "I reckon you're way too low. Try 36 front 38 rear." surprised me, but the weather, travel, and auxiliary-light challenges have kept me from thinking much about it, much less ride to see.

This latest "dropped the forks in the rings" to reduce turn-in is so alien to my own experience and desires to do the opposite.  

For all the objective data and science involved in motorcycling, there sure is a lot of YMMV based on individual tastes.  I like that.

Bill
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:50 pm

To Bill's point, all that really matters at the end of the day is that I now like how the bike handles. With the myriad combinations of suspension settings, tire options, engine tuning and riding styles, I feel rather lucky to be at this point.

It's time to stop fiddling and enjoy the ride for a while.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Just for the record, I run 2.5 bar front and 2.8 rear.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Gents, when we talk about dropping the forks to the 6th ring for example, are we talking about 6 rings above or six rings below the clamp?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Above.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Michelin Pilot Road 4's on mine - 36/39 psi, front/rear. As advised by the sticker under the seat, this does not change with extra load, though I do 37/40 psi on a loaded trip. Oh, and mine is not a GRiSO, just a lowly old Sport, with nigh on 100,000 km on it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Falling into corners   Falling into corners Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Falling into corners
Page 1 of 1