GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Straight Pipe Question

Go down 
+8
Diablo Loco
Steak
Street
wardentm
Pete Roper
beetle
paulbrice
Southboston
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Southboston
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Southboston

Straight Pipe Question Empty
PostSubject: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 am

Hi,
I'm new to this site and I have an '07 GRiSO I purchased in '07.  I'm glad i found this site and thanks to everyone who has worked to make this information available to the world.  I'm considering replacing the stock exhaust and I've been reading up here and elsewhere, and I came across a straight pipe for sale on ebay for the GRiSO (Radiant Cycles SHORTY GP EXHAUST Chrome).

I can't find any information here on running a straight, or shorty pipe and I'm curious to know if it's even possible to completely eliminate the catcon and run a straight pipe with remapping.  Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Welcome.....my idea is not to buy a random bit of tubing that fits anything with a circular radius close to a bike exhaust pipe (bishop said to actress all over again) unless they have references and power/testing data to support - and even then questionable..... There are tons of tested alternatives if you search the forum...and good performance reason why we have no big themes on straight pipes.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 pm

We've already made fun of this ridiculous pipe:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Apart from running like a sack of shit it will have no bottom end and a variety of odd flat spots up the rev range due to the absurd harmonics such a thing will produce. It won't hold a constant throttle, will pop and bang like a cheap popcorn maker on the over-run and will be so noisy that all your neighbors will dob you in to the cops if they don't shoot you out of hand!

But if that's what you want? Knock yerself out! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:55 pm

G'day Rick
Welcome from us all down under in Tasmania
Úp front, honest advice änd opinions here .......
Have a safe day
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 pm

wardentm wrote:
...Úp front, honest advice änd opinions here .......

Welcome, Rick. It's true and while you're free to pick and choose from all that's offered, most of the advice tends to be tested and proven by people who know a helluva lot more than I do. The opinions? Well...everybody's got one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Southboston
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Southboston

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I'll research further and stick with a tested and trusted exhaust alternative.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Southboston wrote:
Thank you all for your opinions and advice.  I'll research further and stick with a tested and trusted exhaust alternative.  

Lots of good experiences here with offerings from Termignoni, Mistral, Arrow, Zard, GPR and Agostini... And most all of them work best with the dB killers fitted.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

While still advisable the 2 Valve engine will respond tolerably to an open pipe if mapped for it. The 8V? Not so much......
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Funnily enough my Termi equipped 8V runs better with the baffle out right through the rev range. On the road and dyno tested same day with baffle in and out runs.

After 7000 rpm it doesn't feel like a wheezing asthmatic. This is a good thing.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Termi still has a Cat. If you are running the GRS8V-03 map it will probably have a bit more at the top end but the motom end and midrange will be shabbier than it needs to be.

Look, as is often said, if you're happy? Leave it alone!

Pete
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:49 am

Does the mapping depend on the model year and country?
Over the winter I put a Zard racing silencer on my 2016 UK bike. After reading various articles I was expecting my bike to feel like something was missing.
The exhaust does have the dB killer fitted but after several hundred miles I have not noticed any loss in bottom end performance or flat spots. It possibly feels stronger at higher RPM but this could be partly down to the bike getting a few more miles on it or the rider trying to recapture his youth!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:10 am

Same map everywhere. 2230G803 was released in 2010 and is in every GRiSO built since. IIRC, there were two very bad maps prior. There was also the 2229GRS8V68 (commonly called the 68S map), which was never homogolated, but seems to have found its way into a lot of bikes. Best map the factory ever made, and works quite well with a lot of pipes.

geek

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:22 am

Thanks for this information.
I guess there is no way of telling which map the bike is running on unless it its plugged in to a manufacturers diagnostic system.
Back to top Go down
cbxtc6
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cbxtc6

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:18 am

eeyore wrote:
Thanks for this information.
I guess there is no way of telling which map the bike is running on unless it its plugged in to a manufacturers diagnostic system.  

Under "Member Tech Archive", GuzziDiag is a free bit of software we can all use for mapping, diagnostics, etc.. cheers
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Yep, GuzziDiag is your friend!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I've had one on my '06 since mid-2014. I reckon mine is the first GRiSO with the Radiant Shorty (its in their gallery) The bike runs well without mapping. My impression is that it runs better as soon as you put it on. It will pop and crackle but that isn't anything to worry about unless you hate it. Any decent mechanic can play with the mapping to clear it up. Mine has. I actually didn't mind the all the popping etc. Unexpectedly quiet at idle or low revs but howls when you open it up. Also cleans that rear up nicely.

I ran this past some MG factory dudes when I was over there in 2015. They said the 2V loves open pipes but keep an eye on valve clearances more frequently.

Go for it. You wont regret it.
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:41 pm

An update. My GRiSO is no longer on the Radiant gallery but here's what it looks like anyway.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:31 pm

The yellow ones are wonderful. I wish I still had mine!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:00 pm

SWEEEEET!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Ratty
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Ratty

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:38 am

Just built this muffler for the GRiSO, hope to test it out tomorrow...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Ratty on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.pwcw.com.au

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:07 am

What muffler?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Straight Pipe Question   Straight Pipe Question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Straight Pipe Question
Page 1 of 1