GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

20 May: heading for Wales?

Go down 
+7
beetle
Pete Roper
zoot
sidrat
Steak
Papa Lazarou
blue thunder
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
zoot
Carlotto
Carlotto
zoot

20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 am

Back from Wales... La signora didn't let me down, the original tappets still work!
Back to top Go down
https://www.zoot.be
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 am

No they don't but well done for dodging a bullet.

Now are you going to inspect them or just say all the hysteria is just internet bullshit?

Pete
Back to top Go down
zoot
Carlotto
Carlotto
zoot

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:54 am

no, I went to an official MG dealer here in Belgium the week before I left to Wales. He controlled and adjusted them. They were too tight, he said, but still ok. So, as for now I will keep an eye (or better, an ear) on it. And wait untill the sh*t begins. As the dealer told me, MG only sends the tappets for free when the problem occurs... + I do have all the original invoices of the MG services from the previous owners, so I hope I will get them from Lake Como... when the problem occurs... drove 3.000kms, so now she has almost 24.000kms
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 am

Oh for fuck's sakes.........

You go tiger.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:01 am

Dear sweet God in heaven. Your tappets are fucked. Your dealer is a moron. How did he know they were OK? Magic unicorn X-ray goggles? A seance? He read the bones of a Scottish princess? A magpie spake unto him?

Do not wait. They will be damaged. You risk your engine. Act now. Egads!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
zoot
Carlotto
Carlotto
zoot

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:11 am

ok, dear australian friends :-) but what can i do? I want MG to pay for the spare parts, not me. that's the point! If I screw something up in my company, guess who has to pay the bill? Of course I do not want to screw up the whole engine, but I suppose it won't be the case if i go to the dealer as soon as the problem occurs? I use the bike only during for summer tours, not daily. will it be too late when I hear the tikki-takka?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 am

You don't need to hear the tikka-takka. Or want to. It could be too late by then. The tappets only have to show wear on the DLC to be considered damaged. I've seen photos of clearly damaged tappets that the dealer said were fine. Even one speck of missing DLC is cause for replacement. If your dealer doesn't understand this, find another dealer. The only way to be know is to remove a cam box. A 15 minute job on a GRiSO. Get your dealer to do it. Yes, you'll have to pay them to do it.

-

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
zoot
Carlotto
Carlotto
zoot

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 am

OK, convinced. because I don't drive during winter, I will do the check in the autumn, because I won't drive too many kms anymore this summer, almost no days off anymore ;-)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:59 am

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 am

Short trips in the cold will certainly help speed up the destruction....Good luck, you'll need a lot of it !
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 am

Stripping the left hand cambox takes fifteen minutes. The right one another twenty. If your dealer won't do it at your request, and supply you with pictures, find another dealer.

By 24,000km there will be clearly visible damage. Waiting for it to get noisy is like sticking a gun in your ear and telling people that when you pull the trigger it will be ok because you'll hear the bullet coming down the barrel and will get out of the way!

Pete
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:51 pm

My tappets after 20.000km Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

My cam followers at 4000 miles
LEFT

RIGHT

Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Zoot,

I knew nothing about the flat tappet problems until I joined the forum. With the guidance of mainly Pete and Beetle I was able to get the bike rollerised with the parts coming FOC.

The DLC was wearing off the tappets and they were replaced. It took nearly six months from starting the investigation to getting it fixed. I'd recommend you get the ball rolling so it can be fixed over the winter.

If it helps read the thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:12 am

anyways, we need pics of the tour.
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
blue thunder

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Well, I do have a movie... under construction Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.tripper.be
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20 May: heading for Wales?   20 May: heading for Wales? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

20 May: heading for Wales?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2