GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Leaky CARC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thekenheld
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
thekenheld

Leaky CARC Empty
PostSubject: Leaky CARC   Leaky CARC Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 am

So today I removed CARC, swingarm and rear shock to do that greasing job that's hip at the moment.

When I put the CARC aside -laying flat on the table- I noticed it's seeping oil. At that time I had already cleaned the flange of sealant, but that rubber gasket/diaphragm was still in place. Also, there has been absolutely no oil in my swingarm, so I must have created the leak when I removed the sealant.

The the gasket frame seems to be slightly bent (has been all the time) -is that normal?
Should I be worried? Or just replace the sealant and forget about it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
thekenheld
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
thekenheld

Leaky CARC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaky CARC   Leaky CARC Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:10 am

Just in case anybody else ever wonders: Even though Guzzi calls the rubber diaphragm a "dust cover" there is no other seal in place. So the seeping should be ok (and I will now forget about it).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Leaky CARC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaky CARC   Leaky CARC Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:03 am

Sorry, I must of missed this for some reason.

The reason your plate is bent is because the factory applies a shittonne of silastic to prevent the rather inadequate seal created by the CARC being bolted up to the swingarm allowing oil to leak into the swingarm and drop out of the hose clips underneath that carry the brake line and speedo cable. It's so thick and sticky that as you prise the box off the plate will warp.

Don't worry about it. The row horrid little self tapping screws that hold the compressing plate on aren't there to seal anything, just to line it up. The actual sealing is supposed to be done by tightening up the bolts that hold the box to the swingarm. Problem of course is it doesn't work brilliantly. Hence the snot on later, (Post2010-ish.) bikes.

Pete
Back to top Go down
thekenheld
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
thekenheld

Leaky CARC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaky CARC   Leaky CARC Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:05 am

No worries Pete, I could have just looked underneath the rubbery thingy straight away instead of posting.
You're right about the shittonne of sealant, getting it off was a pain in the ...um... pannier. Next time will be even worse, cause I fixed the lower half of the diaphragm with some sealant too. That was the easiest way to keep the oil from contaminating the flange and ruining the sealant during reassembly...

Thanks for the reassurance Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leaky CARC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaky CARC   Leaky CARC Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Leaky CARC
Page 1 of 1