GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear brake lever microswitch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

Rear brake lever microswitch Empty
PostSubject: Rear brake lever microswitch   Rear brake lever microswitch Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:42 am

This is a new one.  

I noticed that my rear brake light on my Norge was on 100% of the time - brake pads were not engaged so initially thought it was an electrical problem.  Turns out the microswitch that is threaded into the Right Hand Plate GU05443530NA appears cross threaded and loose.  I have never touched it.  I got the bike from an out of state dealer new with 42 miles and now has 600 miles.  You can get it to stay if you hold your tongue right but a slight touch will cause it to come loose which is what I suspect happened since I checked all the lights when I first got it and they worked at around 140 miles the only other time I checked.

Normally when the brake lever is not depressed, that microswitch is depressed and the brake light is off.  When you depress the brake lever, the switch is released and the brake light comes on. Because it was loose, it was released 100% of the time and no way for people behind me to see I was braking - not good.  

I had my missus drive cover behind me to the Guzzi dealer.  I also got my first service since it just ticked over 600 miles....  6 weeks later when they finally got to it and called me to come pick it up, the service record says "Brake Lever normal - switch supposed to be loose".

They also tried to charge me $540 for the first service including replacing "2 glow plugs" - I kid you not Smile.  I ended up out of there paying less and they acknowledged that the switch was indeed loose and not normal.  He asked me to leave it there so they could fix it which I declined to do.  While I appreciate having a Guzzi dealer close by and did not buy it there, in 600 miles, it has been in their shop for nearly 11 weeks, the first time for the bubbled gas tank at 140 miles which was replaced under warranty. Add in another four weeks it took to get it back from the suspension place when they put Matris front and back, I have hardly ridden it.

My question is, the part is AP8112996 Microswitch and how do I get to the other end to unplug it? After taking the fairing off, can't find the other end so it must be attached up higher and maybe have to take the battery out and delve under there? Since one end of the cable is fixed, when you try and screw it back in, it winds up and wants to unscrew.  The parts diagram shows it as a short cable but this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] shows it as longer.  The switch threads do not look cross threaded but maybe the female threads in the right hand plate are?    It is clearly warranty but I have hardly ridden it so want to see if I can resolve myself.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake lever microswitch   Rear brake lever microswitch Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:23 am

I'd try a couple of drops of superglue.
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake lever microswitch   Rear brake lever microswitch Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 am

I ended up cutting the microswitch off and isolating the two wires so the rear is not on all the time. The front brake lever still activates the brake light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake lever microswitch   Rear brake lever microswitch Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear brake lever microswitch
Page 1 of 1