GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio Fork Seals

Go down 
+4
beetle
Pete Roper
wyno
waterbottle
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 am

No idea Ron. I got my local suspension bloke to do mine and he buggered about a bit with the valving but I'm not sure exactly how. He's good so I just poke a set of forks at him and grunt "You Fix" and he does!

For what I use the Turdio for they are fine but they're still Marzocchis which means they are less than crash hot. When I get all pissed off with them I suspect I'll start shopping for a set of legs off a Multistrada or some sch on the Bay of Fleas!

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks Pete, I'll pull the cartridge out tonight to see if i can rework it.

EDIT : Cartridge is out. It really is a piece of crap. Swaged / Staked together throw away jobbie. If I machine it apart, I could sleeve it and tack weld it back together with the Tig welder, But don't know if I could be arsed. What's the thickest fork oil they make Rolling Eyes Maybe some Carc oil would help Laughing
No, the mind wants to know what's in there that could be worn out in less than 20k Kms. Photos to follow Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Compression cartridge disassembled. Compression adjuster works fine as in it seats perfectly and won't allow any bypass. So the problem is in the valving.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 pm

The valve with different shims sizes to show how much oil can bypass.

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Going back together today, a joiner /adaptor machined up and welded to the cartridge tube.

Now if I can find the Fork cap. I’ll be able to go for a Xmas day ride
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:53 am

Good job Ron.
I love improvements like these...
I thought Marzocchi was good stuff though? Guess I'm stuck in the past... lol
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Good job Ron.
I love improvements like these...
I thought Marzocchi was good stuff though? Guess I'm stuck in the past... lol

Yes, the forks are well made, It's just the damper cartridges that are made as throw-aways. I wanted to play with the compression damping valving a bit. now I can take it apart and re-valve as I please. In the pics you might see I've moved the 18mm dia. shim to the top of the stack, thus restricting the flow a bit more. There are holes (ports) in the sides of the cartridge that may negate the re valving, so I may need to close these up a bit too.
Matris cartridge inserts would be the go here, but I have 2 sets already in the GRiSO's, and risk losing my bits if I buy another set Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 am

Cool. Now I understand...
I'll look into the Matris bits if/when I need to improve those forks on zee GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Maybe too much oil put in and maybe to heavy weight oil. I have found on dirt bikers that all 5/7.5 and 10 weights are not equal-does my head in with 5 dirtbikes to fettle.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Well, all back together, a 200k test ride today on 1/1/2018 over some of our roughest Queensland roads, and 60 k’s of dirt.   Muchly improved Thumbs Up  I’m using Penrite HPSO fluid in the compression side , which equates to a 20w fork oil and 10w motul in the rebound side. The front is now very planted and the bike seems so much more stable at speed, almost no wobbling when hitting bumps in corners ( almost)  It used to get a horrid soggy feeling, but that’s all gone now cheers
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:05 pm

waterbottle wrote:
 It used to get a horrid soggy feeling, but that’s all gone now cheers

I've experienced that. Oh wait, your talking about the forks...

Shocked

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 pm

beetle wrote:
waterbottle wrote:
 It used to get a horrid soggy feeling, but that’s all gone now cheers

I've experienced that. Oh wait, your talking about the forks...

Shocked

It’s all to do with some special pills the doc gave me , no more thumbing mashmellows into money boxes Laughing
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 pm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio Fork Seals
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2