12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Matris rear shock hydraulic preload position

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Matris rear shock hydraulic preload position   Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am

I had a Matris shock installed on the Norge - the 46KDIS.  Rebound and Hydraulic Preload, no Compression adjustment.  Have a question about the orientation of the hydraulic preload unit and whether I need the one facing the other way or if it can be rotated (and how)?

Even though I ordered the Norge M46KDIS, after install, the shock place said it was not the right shock for the bike but they made it fit with liberal use of a Dremel on the splashguard.
It arrived looking like this below.  The valve on top is the nitrogen fill valve.  The tube and collar is the hydraulic preload.
[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]
On the back of the preload 'tube' is an allen bolt.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apologies for the orientation.  That is the rear tire in the top left.  They cut a channel for the Nitrogen valve and the preload adjuster on the throttle side but the preload is still a little hard to get to and I want to be able to adjust when 1up or 2up.

Another view looking toward the front of the bike.

I get the impression the shock should be installed 180 degrees so the nitrogen valve faces forwards, but in this setup, it does not allow access to the preload adjuster - you can only see the allen bolt on the back.

It seems like on their website, the preload unit for the Norge has an alternate preload adjuster which has the adjuster and the allen bolt reversed. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do I need to get that alternate preload adjuster or can I rotate the shock the 180 degrees and the preload adjuster 270 degrees.  How do I do this?

Can I get a spring compressor (spring is 777 lb/inch or 136.2N/mm), then rotate the preload once the spring is isolated?  Do I need to loosen/remove that allen bolt?  When I loosened it, shock oil came out so unsure if it is a locking mechanism or just the refill port?

Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Matris rear shock hydraulic preload position   Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:20 pm

The hydraulic unit can be rotated around the shock body. Remove and replace for 180*, and brute force for the 270* option.

From memory that unit is located on the body by use of a ring (circlip) in the threaded grooves. It can be located in any groove you desire to pre-load the spring on assembly, and then you have the option of further pre-load via the hydraulic unit. I have rotated the unit by hand, but with a 10kg spring.

You could put the hydraulic unit in a vice (please use soft jaws and a rag), and poke screw drives thru each eye and rotate. NO NO NO!, not your eyes dummy, the shock eyes.  jocolor

You lost hydraulic oil from the pre-load unit, not the shock. Mine used to leak from that fill port. Cost me $50 for a tiny tube of Wurth hydraulic oil sealant, had to get Scotty to fix it. The longer allen head bolt is your pre-load adjuster. 10 clicks per millimeter of pre-load. Very hard on the hand with a standard 'L' shaped allen key, a 'T' bar is much easier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Matris rear shock hydraulic preload position   Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Appreciate that. Took me a lot longer to get it out than to get it back in today. I ordered a lighter rate spring so when that arrives will switch it out and rotate the preload. A few weeks wait from Italy I expect.
Back to top Go down

Matris rear shock hydraulic preload position
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: