GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(

Go down 
+6
Pete Roper
beetle
Street
Papa Lazarou
paulbrice
motor-timothy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Empty
PostSubject: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

Seems like things go from bad to worse with my GRiSO. After finally replacing the last annoyance on my bike, the broken microswitch behind the clutch handle last monday, fate struck yesterday.

As I was overtaking a line of stopped cars due to rush hour, a food delivery bicycle launched himself from between two cars without looking in front of my front wheel. I wasn't riding fast (about 30km/h) but as it happened less than 2 meters in front of me I couldn't react fast enough to prevent collision. Hit the bicycle's front wheel, my front wheel locked up due to breaking and the impact, rear came loose from the ground and down I went. The bike fell left sideways, almost bounced and with a heartbreaking sound of metal impacting and grinding stone came to a halt.
The delivery boy (17y.o.) had nothing thankfully, and thanks to wearing all my gear I only have a bit of swelling/bruising on my left hip where I impacted the road and a stiff shoulder. My helmet hit the road hard, frightening experience.

Anyway, damage on the bike is more than I hoped for (obviously) but less than it could have been. The left cylinder got the brunt of the impact and the cover definitely needs to be replaced. Oil was leaking from it as well, I believe mostly from the screws. The beautiful exhaust is pretty scratched. The front light no longer works. The standard is very much bend by the impact, but still functions. And finally the entire gear shift lever is gone (I couldn't find it back). Only the gear shifter linkage is still there. Also the mounting of the left suitcase has broken. Oddly enough the left handlebar doesn't seem to have hit anything, and the front of the bike as well as the frame and he fairing seemed at first glance completely unscathed (bike is at depot atm so can't do a full checkup until its back here).

Unfortunately even though it was the fault of the bicycle, an idiotic law here means a motorized vehicle is pretty much always financially responsible for any damage unless they purposefully throw themselves in front of your vehicle, which is pretty hard to prove. So any tips for discounted replacement parts are more than welcome, as I will be replacing and paying for the damaged parts myself. I'm hopeful I can maybe polish the scratches from the exhaust? I'm praying there is no hidden damage like a bend fork or internal damage of the cylinder. Crying or Very sad

Some pics.
Situation:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Damage:

Last edited by motor-timothy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am

Sorry to hear that but seems like it's not as bad as it could have been. Assuming the forks & front end are good (if they didn't hit anything solid they should be good); I'd say it's just a new gearshift lever and pretty much rest is OK with some minor tweaking. For the cam cover, unless you wore through it; then it's just cosmetic (aka can keep it as a badge of pride). Usually the bolts always leak oil after a tip but can be re-settled. Exhaust is also a 'badge of pride' versus 'want concourse look' and I'd just polish it up personally; but maybe a good excuse to go for a termni or similar.
Stand should be bendable back or fixable easily; front lamp likely similar......

Just glad to hear the softer bits (you & delivery boy) aren't hurt.....hope you are back on the road soon !
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Fecking cyclists. They are a pain. All of them should be insured!!!

I have a new standard exhaust if you want it, for little money.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 pm

That would be fantastic Papa Lazarou, I'd love to take you up on that offer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:51 pm

Postage from the UK and £150?
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm

I love you
Send you a PM
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:10 pm

As the song says, "If it wasn't for bad luck, you know I wouldn't have no luck at all".
Sorry to hear about your crash, Timothy, but glad you weren't hurt worse.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Bugger! Glad you're OK. The valve covers always leak when they hit the deck. As Paul says, reseating the cover will fix that.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Order some tampons for it with the other bits and replace them as well. There are two types, make sure you get the right sort.

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:41 am

I have found that the bar ends are very resistant to any damage when dropped, making holes in the concrete floor!, so that is possibly why you didn't see any damage, i guess they are not bent?

You will soon me up and running :-)
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:49 am

Condolences ... and a pox on the cyclist.

Bill
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:18 am

Just got the bike back from the depot. Good news is, after initially blowing the fuse (grrr) on the second attempt it started and sounds okey. Shifting gears still works as well (by pulling the rod) so there doesn't seem to be any nasty invisible damage. I believe the bike will be ready to ride again after installing a new shifting lever and securing the cylinder head cover.
Front wheel is okey as well. Left handlebar did scrape the ground but the damage is almost invisible, though the chrome colored end has separated about a centimeter from the handlebar.

Downside is that the left header pipe on closer inspection has partially scraped away at the bottom and has a dent. I'm assuming this will not impact the functioning of the bike and is pretty much only a cosmetic issue?

Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 am

It won't impact on the performance on the exhaust.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 am

The downpipe damage will make no difference, given that you have almost had to lie on the ground to take a photo of it, and that when stationary the bike leans that way on the sidestand, i would guess no one will ever know.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks for all the reactions. Does anyone know what is supposed to attach the linkage rod to the shifter peg? Mine is missing (its just the rod with a round hollow end left) and the parts manual doesn't show it as a separate part. Is it just a standard bolt screwed in?

This is what I mean, but I cant see it well enough on the photo to determine what it is:
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Oh dear. If it's ripped the ball out not only is that not available separately but it's probably buggered the socket. The ball is retained by a wire clip. You can see it if you look carefully at the pic.

I'm pretty sure I've got spare linkages lying around off various wrecks but where they are I have no idea! Can't get a price for a new one on TeoLamers website, best call them. Part # 06257800

Pete
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:32 pm

No the ball is still attached, I meant the part that connects the ball to the hole in the footpeg. I circled what I meant, hopefully its more clear now. It looks like a nut attached to a threaded rod?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 pm

That is the ball. The bit on the end of the rod is the socket. The ball, as you say, isn't sold as a separate part.

Pete

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:49 pm

I see, unfortunate. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:15 am

Have a look here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately damage to the cylinder cover was more severe than I hoped. There is some spalling on the inside, and the plug cap tube was deformed so that I had to destroy the plug cap in order to remove it. Other than that things looked fine. It doesn't look like any of the spalling actually came loose (see pic). Am I correct in assuming any really tiny fragment that may have gotten loose will either sink to the bottom or get caught by the oilfilter? Or is there major risk of engine damage?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 am

How come you had to destroy the plug cap? You didn't tug at it from the top did you? Never mind, easy enough to swap to SB05E caps. As for the tiny flakes of shite? Well, you can either strip the motor or simply clean anything visible from the rocker area and hope the bits will drain out next oil change.

Pete

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Not initially, I tried pushing it out from the other end first. But it was stuck to such a extend that I eventually had to use pliers to get the cap out of the tube attached to the cover, and it still took me over 15 minutes of hard labour. Halfway through I applied too much pressure and the hard plastic 'body' of the cap shattered. Sucks but what can you do.
No visible flakes/splinters in the rocker area, I'll leave it at that and hope/assume nothing actually got loose and into the engine when I started the bike last friday to see if it would run. In hindsight I should've checked the cylinder first.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:07 am

So I'm looking at the mounting of the left gear shift lever, does it screw directly into part #977053?

Is it screwed directly into the opposite side of where the footpeg is mounted?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:33 am

It goes here, I assume it goes over a lug on the back....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(   Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'( Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Just my luck, crashed my GRiSO :'(
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next