GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ready to Rollerize!

Go down 
+7
beetle
Bill Hagan
wardentm
pauldaytona
paulbrice
Pete Roper
GuZeee
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
techman-001
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
techman-001

Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 pm

More good news, keep it coming Smile

Have you thought about the shaft drive splines and the swing arm bearings, which are notorious for minimal factory lube ?

Cheers,
Terry
Back to top Go down
https://mecrisp-stellaris-folkdoc.sourceforge.io/
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 pm

techman-001 wrote:

Have you thought about the shaft drive splines and the swing arm bearings, which are notorious for minimal factory lube ?

No, I didn’t know about that. Is there a good description of how to do this somewhere? I’m on a roll, I might as well do it all!
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:57 pm

G'day Tecman
Done mine some time back, too right, barely any grease at all but a good clean up and new grease all is now well ...
Just do a search on this site and all will be revealed.
Good luck with it, this job is achievable by most of us with limited wrenching abilities.
Regards
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Changed gearbox and shaft oil. I don't think I'll mess with taking the CARC apart at this point, going to quit while I'm ahead!

Next job will be installing the Mistral Hi-pipe when it arrives.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Mistral pipe arrived today. Took just a few minutes to install, it was so easy and fit perfectly. Flashed it with beetle map and just got back from the test ride.

WOW!

It LOOKS gorgeous, it SOUNDS awesome, and GOES with so much grunt at all RPMs it's a different bike from what I started with. In stock form it was a dog at 4,000 RPM; with beetle's map for the stock pipe it was a lot better. But with this one, wow, it pulls so hard and sounds so great doing it.

As a bonus it's so much lighter. I didn't weigh the difference but it's got to be close to 10 pounds.

This is even more fun to ride and to listen to and look at now. Great upgrade!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 am

GuZeee wrote:
I've got my C kit and factory stand. Bike is on the stand with battery and tank removed. I've got a valve spring compressor and all other required tools (I hope). I'm ready to do the deed! I'll probably start it this weekend but maybe do a a little before then if I can't wait.

I've read up on everything I could find on the process, so I almost feel like I know what I'm doing (sounds dangerous!). Any final words of wisdom from anyone before I start taking things apart?

Hey GuZeee, good to read your adventure worked out for you and you now have a worry-free GRiSO! Just a quick question, did you get the kit under warranty (for free) and then installed it yourself?

I'm asking because my local dealer is working on the warranty claim for me, however today they called me to inform me MG will provide the kit but I need to pay for installation (which I already knew). When I said I want to install the kit myself they told me they believe moto guzzi won't provide the kit under warranty unless they (the dealer) also install it, but they weren't 100% certain of this. Which would be a bummer as I don't trust this dealer anymore to do the job right.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am

Sounds right.

I'd just go back and re-do it if I didn't trust the person supposedly doing the work. Yeah, it means you have to shell out some money but the dealer has to get some return for the jumping through hoops for warranty.

Having said that why would Piaggio have to know who installs it? And how? Telepathy?
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:44 pm

I paid for the kit myself. I read a lot about people’s experiences and the rules about how to get a freebie from the factory, and decided it was my best option
- I’d have to first pay to get it inspected by a dealer, and then they may or may not find enough damage to warrant a warranty repair
- I bought the bike as a used 2009 and didn’t know if all work had been done to be eligible for warranty
- I wanted to do it myself. If I got the free part I’d have to pay for the inspection and the installation anyway. And I didn’t want someone else messing with my bike
- my nearest dealer is far away. And they had no clue about the Guzzi issue or the bikes in general. (They mostly sell Ducatis)
- I wanted it done right away and didn’t want to mess about for weeks or months with inspection and claims and authorizing etc
- the C kit was only $1100 from AF1, in stock, got it within a few days
- no hassle and pleading for warranty repairs with various people who don’t give a shit

So it was worth it to me to go this route. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Also, the satisfaction of riding a bike that I did the upgrade on myself is worth the price of admission Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:06 pm

I had much the same problem with my Stelvio. I could probably of got John at Motocicolo to stick in a claim but it was going to be such a huge PITA for both him and me I just stuck an 'A' kit in it off my own bat. Never regretted it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ready to Rollerize!   Ready to Rollerize! - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ready to Rollerize!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4