GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello, Greasers

Go down 
+3
Oz1200Guzzi
Guzzi Cat
rustyrotor
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Long time no speak.

Am in the process of replacing the copper crush washers on the eternally leaky LH Cyl Head oil feed banjo.
Oh that's fun.

Couple three questions:

Since I can't get a torque wrench in there, how can I get a sense of how much torque to apply?

And on that note, the washers aren't crushed or much marked up at all, despite my prior attempts to "nip them up",
which is a Roperism.

Can I use aluminum washers? Would that be even better because it's softer?

Off to the parts house.
Back to top Go down

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:22 pm

I just use the reset pin in my right elbow, its adjustable for any pressure.  geek

Find a similar bolt, easily accessed, that has the same torque value, usually determined by thread size and pitch. Loosen it and torque it up. Now using the ring spanner you need for the banjo, crack it loose 1/4 turn and then retighten to exactly the same position you started from.

Aluminium washers will work just as well, although thermal expansion properties will be different.

Copper washers can be renewed by really fine (1000) wet n dry wrapped around a sheet of glass, good for removing finger prints as well. pirat
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I don't think you need to use a torque spanner on a banjo bolt, just don't over tighten it, especially if you are using new washers. If it leaks you can nip them up a bit tighter. If you were using old used copper washers you might want to anneal them to restore the softness in the copper.

I prefer to use copper because I think it stays usable for longer if opened and closed a few times, but I don't see a problem in using aluminium if you don't get any joy with the copper.

Good luck with it, Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Refurbish copper washers by heating to red hot and dunking in cold water. Called annealing I think and softens up the copper quite nicely. Had to do this on my BSA years ago on the head gaskets. Always worked.

However the price of new crush washers may justify the price over this method which is a bit time consuming.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Am really struggling to start the bolt back in.
Hands too big.

Trying to avoid pulling the tank.

Any hot tips?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Pull the tank.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Sigh.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Where do I find that procedure for depressurising the system?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Disconnect the tank electrics. Turn your motor over with the starter button (it might cough and splutter but won't start). Disconnect fuel connector - no pressure exists anymore.

Voila!
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Grazie mille!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

Hah!

Some call it persistence, sticktoitiveness, tenacity, grit.

I call it sheer pigheadedness.

Called over a friend with Trump-hands, and he was able to get the banjo bolt started.

No tank removal!

Bwahhahahah! (evil laugh)

Grazie per tutti!

Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:13 pm

I may now actually be leaking a little more oil than before.
Suggestions, candle burning, voodoo incantations welcome.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Well, first thing is to find exactly where it's leaking. You've done the switch, you've done the banjo washers so now it's imperative to find the exact source so you can address it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Agreed. Naturally. But it's a gentle weep. Baby's tears don't quite cover it. Not like the time the...was it oil pressure sensor?...cracked, and was pissing. Maybe if I could run it with the tank off.

Anybody tried/use an inexpensive endoscope? Which one?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 pm

not a colonic one, try the other end type!
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Ok let's call it a borescope then.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 am

I can't see where the LH banjo is leaking. But something is leaking, and it got worse after I messed with it. Which means it's likely these things are related. What does that leave?
The banjo at the tip of the V on those lines.

Is it possible to nip that up without tank removal?

I think it isn't but it's worth asking.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Update:

So now it's leaking more when being ridden. It is not leaking, or dripping, as it used to when parked.
I think I fixed the banjo and either created a new problem or it's always been there, blending in...

What say you, Greasers?
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 pm

I suggest you should upload some photos, anything else is digging in the dark.....
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:48 pm

I picked up one of those 12 dollar bore scopes that attach to a smart phone, fleabay, I'm actually fairly impressed.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Bob, is your cat lazy or just looking for the next level thrill?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Lazy, but doubles as a watch dog.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:21 pm

rustyrotor wrote:
Update:

So now it's leaking more when being ridden. It is not leaking, or dripping, as it used to when parked.
I think I fixed the banjo and either created a new problem or it's always been there, blending in...

What say you, Greasers?

I'm saying you've probably cracked the banjo. See if you can replace it without taking off the tank!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello, Greasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Greasers   Hello, Greasers Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello, Greasers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: